PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Ultimate Edition"

Told ya everything I know when I said hello P72Ford's Avatar

Default 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Ultimate Edition"

I bought a replacement for my '08 P71 just before Christmas, and thought I would start a thread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	55546

The P71 thread is here:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ain&highlight=

The P71 was hands down the best car I have ever owned (4 years to the day; 80K+ miles), but the writing was on the wall for the long run. I just did a ton of work to it, but it needed a wheel bearing and I had grown tired of the number of recent repairs. I drive a lot and need something reliable for every day commuting.

I found this car at a friends small local dealership. Its a 1 owner, 76K mile car from Rhode Island, which normally means rust. But... this thing is MINT. I mean MIIIIIIIIIIIINT!!!!. The owners were either snow birds, or simply did not drive this car in the winter. Underneath is literally, as new. Obviously it was loaded with all the JC Whitney chrome trim add ons which I removed right away. Other than that, it has been tinted (20% side, 5% rear), I picked up a set of 2016 Mustang GT wheels, and its been heavily undercoated with Fluid Film. The only additional plans are to black out the rear panel and pillars with vinyl wrap. Possibly long term I will swap the exhaust, and likely put a trac lok in the rear.

I have a pile of maintenance stuff I am going to do for piece of mind (fluids, plugs, filters, belt/ tensioner, hoses, wipers, etc), but it really needs nothing. My plan is to keep this car rust free and run it for a long time.

Its tan leather, split bench, 2.73 open rear, rear air suspension (I'm not a fan of that).

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	55547

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	55548

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	55549

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	208.6 KB 
ID:	55550

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	55551
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 17K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, 76K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 7K Poseur HD Rider
    **2014 Ram 1500 QCSB Express: 4WD Hemi/ 8spd TF/ 3L21/ Exhaust/ Cosmetics, 39K Truck Duties

fomoco panthers !

It does look mint. Nice find. It should serve you well.

Man, that GMQ is clean. Looks good on the new feet. You'll get used to the RAS. I actually like it better than regular springs. I've loaded my 03 Sport with a lot of heavy stuff over the years and once it levels out it handles it just fine. I've owned it since 2008 and I've only had to replace 1 airbag so far (due to age and that was done last year).
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

I post a lot...

Great find.

My best suggestion in a nice heavy rear sway bar in addition to posi swap. You will love the sway improvement. Those along with really nice rubber, make a tremondous difference

Otherwise head lighting and a simple stock dualx conversion if one pops up might be fun.

The 2.73 is a bit of a bummer but somewhat more of a pain to swap ratios. The ras is really nice to have and plays well with other minor suspension improvements.

Should be a really great car for you. Good choice there nice low miles can't be beat. All I can say in my used 08TC has been excellent to me in terms of not breaking.

Happy new year!
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

I post a lot...

Nice ride! I really miss my 04. Looks like you got a really nice example.

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Very nice indeed! And I like how you got rid of all those distasteful add-ons.

Nice find Nate. Do you like the wheels you picked up? The stock ones appeared more fitting. Maybe lowering would help out? Regardless it looks really nice. I like the odd color of the car. All cars I have owned are odd colors.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Another nice ride good luck with it Nate. You always seem to find gems I wish I had you luck.

Looks mint!

I personally can't stand the 06+ facelift, but supposedly they have really nice headlight output, which should be nice because the factory 03-05 lights are abysmal.

Told ya everything I know when I said hello P72Ford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pantera77 View Post
    Looks mint!

I personally can't stand the 06+ facelift, but supposedly they have really nice headlight output, which should be nice because the factory 03-05 lights are abysmal.
    Not too sure on the headlight output... I was thinking I should actually relay these seeing as I will have this a while.

Working my way through some maintenance, and its getting exhaust next week; elimination of the downstream cats, Magnaflows, and Marauder style tips. I'm having a local shop with a good reputation do it for me in SST.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 17K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, 76K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 7K Poseur HD Rider
    **2014 Ram 1500 QCSB Express: 4WD Hemi/ 8spd TF/ 3L21/ Exhaust/ Cosmetics, 39K Truck Duties