Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

batttery follow up......

So tell me:

What do I have to purchase to make a group 65 battery fit in my 1986 MGM?

Just longer cables?

Give me the low down

A 65 will “go” where a 64 should. However, there’s a little nub towards the header panel side of the battery tray that won’t let the battery sit level. My ‘87 had a 65 in it when I got it, but I lost that battery to that nub as it punctured the bottom of the battery and allowed it to leak. I can only assume it happened from continuous vibration or maybe shock from a rough road.

Regardless, most folks will just grind that nub flat, and voila, a 65 will drop in without puncture risk. If you really wanted to go whole hog, find a ‘88-‘91 battery hold down to complete a factory look.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
      My ‘87 had a 65 in it when I got it, but I lost that battery to that nub as it punctured the bottom of the battery and allowed it to leak. I can only assume it happened from continuous vibration or maybe shock from a rough road.
      Either my mom's '87 Country Squire or "my" '87 CV had a group 65 in it which suffered from the same puncture problem. Don't know what dad did since this was about 20 years ago. He either removed that nub, got a different battery, or put something under the battery; no idea but I know he did have to replace the battery for this reason.
      I do seem to remember there being something different with terminal configuration on the battery on one of the cars we had, but turning the battery around solved that with no need to replace cables. Although there wasn't as much slack on one of the cables doing this.
      Last edited by VicCrownVic; 01-06-2021, 09:17 PM.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Car started right up this morning, so farso good.
        I did notice that the car has a Interstate MT 36-R battery.

Anyone know what this number is supposed to fit? It has 660 CCA.

Comment

36R batteries fit some Taurus and Sable models to my knowledge.

My Cars:
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
            36R batteries fit some Taurus and Sable models to my knowledge.
            It has more CCA than the Motorcraft model of 36R

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
              It has more CCA than the Motorcraft model of 36R
              Could be just a specific series. It's possible to have the same group size and offer different CCA over several lines. Usually an economy line will have less warranty with lower CCA while the upper lines offer higher CCA and longer warranty.

My Cars:

Comment

MT36R Will fit :
                96-2005 many Merc.Sable/Taurus with the 3.0 . Many Montego,Freestyle That is just Ford products up to 07
                Could replace a group 34R with adapter. Suppose to be a replacement for a 58R
                Got to watch out for that bolt punching a hole in the bottom of the case. Acid all over eating the metal/wires that was not neutralized. Not nice.
                Last edited by Mainemantom; 01-07-2021, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                  MT36R Will fit :
                  96-2005 many Merc.Sable/Taurus with the 3.0 . Many Montego,Freestyle That is just Ford products up to 07
                  Could replace a group 34R with adapter. Suppose to be a replacement for a 58R
                  Got to watch out for that bolt punching a hole in the bottom of the case. Acid all over eating the metal/wires that was not neutralized. Not nice.
                  Tom thanks for this, the actual tray is long gone as are the hold down brackets, the battery is being held down with one of the those very thick black rubber straps with steel hooks on each end.

I will keep an eye out for that bolt.

Comment

Working...
                  X