Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you remove a stubborn EGR spacer from an upper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you remove a stubborn EGR spacer from an upper?

I've searched for this on google and couldn't find a good answer.

I picked up a whole upper/lower HO intake manifold last month from ebay. Thought I got a good deal for it and they claimed it only had 90k miles on it when pulled. My ass. I get it here and the thing is coated with baked oil on the inside and some corrosion on the outside. With how it looks, this was not off a healthy engine by the time it was pulled. Whatever.

So, I'm pulling it all apart on the bench today and got the throttle body off. That was stuck- but didn't take too much effort. Get to the egr spacer and can't get it to budge more than 1/16". It is stuck good on the one bottom corner. I've been beating on this damn spacer for an hour now and getting know where. I'm about to take the sawsall and stick the blade between what space I do have and cut the f***er off and just let the local engine shop clean it and install some new studs.

Do I have any other options besides that?
    1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series-102k miles- LOPO 302, AOD, open 3.27, Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo mufflers

The studs like to corrode inside the spacer, making it hard to get apart. you could try soaking it with PBR blaster for a day, or try heat
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

coolant corroded the bolts inside the spacer mounts. Vice grip on the studs and thread them out. If the four studs are already removed and the spacer is still stuck I am at a loss. Probably not worth using anything (not that the egr spacer does you any good for a panther anyways).
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Hmm. So that sounds like the studs are exposed inside the spacer. That's lovely.

The spacer is loose from the intake. I can get it to move about 1/16" to 1/8". It's just stuck to the studs... So it seems. Think I'll soak it from the backside and (before I do that) weld the nuts I won't be using to the front of the studs and try to turn them out like suggested. Somehow, I don't think vicegrips will work here. They'll probably just fudge up the threads and spin on the remains.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Oh- and no plans to re-use this egr. This is the mustang one I'm working on removing and the coolant hose barbs have actually corroded so bad that they have all ready come off. This thing is junk. I just want it off the upper.
        1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series-102k miles- LOPO 302, AOD, open 3.27, Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo mufflers

Comment

Hey 87gtVIC.

What's with the last comment? Doesn't egr give ya a little better fuel economy on the highway? That and make your emissions a little cleaner? Usually I tend to keep that stuff unless It's making an engine run bad. I know it does make the intake HOT on these engines though, and that's not particularly good for performance...

That reminds me. Why do these engines have coolant going to that spacer? Doesn't that just make the intake even hotter? Or is the coolant actually a little cooler than the incoming exhaust stream?

Comment

Originally posted by ZackN920 View Post
            Hey 87gtVIC.

What's with the last comment? Doesn't egr give ya a little better fuel economy on the highway? That and make your emissions a little cleaner? Usually I tend to keep that stuff unless It's making an engine run bad. I know it does make the intake HOT on these engines though, and that's not particularly good for performance...

That reminds me. Why do these engines have coolant going to that spacer? Doesn't that just make the intake even hotter? Or is the coolant actually a little cooler than the incoming exhaust stream?
            I think he meant, it isnt the correct one to use/fit on the panther vs foxbody
            1987 CV LX 5.0

Comment

Oh... If that's the case....

Then DRRRRRR. I'm retarted!

lol
              I sometimes have my moments...

Comment

Yes. That is what I meant though I didnt clearly state that a Mustang EGR spacer will do you no good.

You can also put two nuts on the stud and tighten them together then use the further in nut and a wrench to turn the stud out.
                ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

When I separated my spacer from the intake, there was a fair amount of beating with a hammer and screw driver involved. I snapped the studs off and it was down hill from there. Working the spacer back and forth along with soaking it with penetrating oil is gonna be your best bet like everyone has mentioned.

Not a fun job, but usually doesn’t have to be repeated once you’re done.

My Cars:
                  -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                  -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                  -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                  -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Pull the studs if you can, its a corrosion thing. Even if you can just get the studs to turn relative to the spacer it will help, but be very careful you don't twist them off in the intake. The studs aren't exposed to EGR flow, its just steel in contact with aluminum + moisture = annoying stuck bullshit. When it goes back together, clean the studs and the holes they go through very well and wipe some grease on it.

Some heat to help draw the oil in might help but don't get it hot and beat on it like you can with rusty steel. Heat it with propane and let it cool back off before messing with it. Sometimes the expand and contract will help break he corrosion
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I feel your pain. I had a hell of a time separating some in the past. Good luck.
                      ~David~

Comment

^Thanks for the luck bud^

Wooh, you guys - this place... Ya'll just freaken AWESOME!

Got it off!
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	20210112_093504.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1288535
                        I was frustrated and po'd with this and about ready to just cut it off. Wasnt thinking things through and thanks to your ideas I got 3 studs out no problem. The one was stuck to the egr spacer so I just spun the spacer around to unthread the last one. Got the last one out of the spacer when I put it in the bench vice. The studs really don't look that bad once out. The spacer- well that looks kinda bad because of beating on it with a hammer and screwdriver at first to try to get it off.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	20210112_093615.jpg
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1288534

Hopefully the one on my Lincoln will come off much easier when the time comes to remove everything. I really don't want to beat that one up.

Btw. Does this look like it came off an engine with less than 100k on it?Click image for larger version

Name:	20210112_093756.jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1288533
                        I'm going to have to send it to the local machine/engine shop just to get it clean. Have to do the same thing with the throttle body too because the back side looks terrible. Its so gunked up I don't think I can clean it without marring it up and I probably shouldn't dip it in my gallon container of carb cleaner that I dip carburetors in.

... I have no clue why them pics came out upside down. They were correct on my phone but when I uploaded them here they switched upside down and I don't know how to right them.
                        Last edited by ZackN920; 01-12-2021, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I cannot comment on its appearance in relation to mileage.

I learned a cool thing the other day that maybe can help you out.

Turkey fryer with de greaser in it as a make shift hot tank for cleaning oily parts I thought it was a neat idea.

I have the issue with photos too. I dont get it.
                          ~David~

Comment

gunk vs mileage is very hard to determine. Some are spotless with loads of miles, others are full of slime with low miles. Depends on driving style, maintenance, engine condition, planetary alignment, and what day of the week the car was made.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Definitely a maintenance thing, well, lack of it. Could happen in under 100k I suppose, like, if you only change the oil every 20k/5 years. Great indicator as to an engine's health though. So if you're buying a car or engine that doesn't run but want to gamble on it anyway, peer into the throttle body/throttle bores. If it's all gooey & slimy like that, she's an oil burner and no f'n good. That's my opinion anyway.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                              X