Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a step by step procedure to do a vent window swap ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a step by step procedure to do a vent window swap ?

Just wondering if someone has made a video or written a step by step procedure with doing a vent window swap ?
    I am doing one on my 90 CV. I have ALL the parts. I just want to accomplish this job properly and as quickly as possible. My physical condition will not allow me to spend hours on each side. Thanks

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Just wondering if someone has made a video or written a step by step procedure with doing a vent window swap ?
    I am doing one on my 90 CV. I have ALL the parts. I just want to accomplish this job properly and as quickly as possible. My physical condition will not allow me to spend hours on each side. Thanks
    I did the swap on my '87. Nick did one side, I did the other. Unfortunately, I don't have much detail pictures of it.

The short and dirty version off the top of my head was to:
    -Remove door panel
    -Remove lower outer window sill trim
    -Separate window glass from regulator
    -Remove the window glass (this process felt similar to doing window removal on '92+ cars when doing regulators)
    -Remove all the old weather stripping from door channel
    -Take the vent window and insert it into the now open door channel
    -Locate lower bolt hole on vent window assembly (if you look at the window assembly, the lower rearward corner should have a tab coming off of it with a hole, that's what I'm trying to describe)
    -Put a bolt through that mount
    -Install vent window formed window channel
    -Install correct main window glass
    -Affix glass to regulator
    -Trim exterior dew wipe to correct size for just the moving window glass
    -Install outer window sill trim
    -Trim door panel dust wipe to correct size for just the moving window glass
    -Install door panel

IIRC, true vent window cars have like three bolts on the slanted part of window frame on the door that help hold the vent window in place. You could drill those, but I didn't opt to do that. So far, mine have stayed well fitted with the single bolt.

Here's a photo right after I fitted everything in the door:

Arrow is pointing towards where the bolt hole to hold the vent window to the door shell should be. Sorry about the lack of any additional imagery. Usually I'm better about it, but it's fairly straightforwards once you get in there to assemble it.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Ok, It looks like it is pretty straight forward. How many hours did it start to finish take per side ?
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
        Ok, It looks like it is pretty straight forward. How many hours did it start to finish take per side ?
        Thanks
        I'd argue maybe an hour and half to two hours if you're not working super fast. I recall it being a little tedious getting that bolt in place between the door frame and the vent window glass assembly since it's a tight area.

Also, if your glass has never been removed from the regulator, it'll be riveted on just like the later cars. A punch and drill will make quick work of that job, it'll just a few minutes and of course time taken to clean up the drilling debris.

Otherwise, yeah, it's pretty straightforwards. I don't recall any "gotchas" while doing it.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I appreciate the advice, thanks

Comment

Working...
          X