Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60mm to 65mm

Hi again,
    I hope everyone is doing great and the cars are treating you all good.
    I think I'm ready to change the throttle body on the wagon.
    It has the 90 HO block with GT 40 heads and intakes with 19lb fuel injectors.
    The current TB is an HO, but it is a little well used.
    I have another HO throttle body and a 65 mm throttle body I can use. Both are new.

1. Will I lose much low end torque using the 65mm? Would I need to change the fuel injectors to a larger size? Will the computer handle the extra 5mm increase?

Most of my driving is under 45mph so I prefer torque over top end.

I do have a non HO stock 5.0 TB that also is new.
    2. Would I kill the torque and power if I went that direction? Less mm

The car has been converted to MAF.
    It's Bernies old 90 Colony Park that runs like a raped ape.
    The best gas mileage I get it 10 mpg.
    Work round trip is 12 miles, city streets stop and go traffic.
    Thank you.
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

You should be fine with the 65mm throttle body. I wouldnt worry about losing any low end power. I wouldn't go smaller, you will notice a power decrease at higher RPM's.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

the bigger problem is the egr spacer. Not sure what you're using but if its a stock one bored out to 60, I don't think its going to go out to 65 and seal properly. Wierd transistions in sizes from throttle body to spacer to intake won't great things for airflow but its better to go larger as you move into the intake than the other way around.

None of that should explain 10mpg though. Exactly whats your engine and ECM setup? Even when mine was poorly tuned with the Mark VII ECM and running way too lean I was getting 14. Adding fuel actually improved economy and performance.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thank you Brown Muscle.
        Good advice, I appreciate it.
        90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
        90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
        91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
        70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

63mm is as far as you can go on a stock egr spacer. i have a 65mm throttle body with a 63 mm spacer.....works fine.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Hi Brown, Gadget and Scott,
            I apologize for taking sooo long to respond. I had a visit to the ER and a hospital stay for a few days.I was starting the car with starting fluid after work in a Walmart parking lot and passed out after putting the fluid in and thankfully before I got in and started the car. I felt it coming on as I walked out of the store. I work at an Eye doctors office there.

Im going to be okay. I just have to have a valve replaced. Damn freaking American diet of food. The Aortic valve has stiffness called Aortic Valve Stenosis. The procedure I will have is called TAVR. Its the sameprocedure that Mick Jagger had a couple of years ago. They go in the the thigh(catherizaation) and insert an artificial valve into the existing valve and your good as new. I see it like replacing a gasket in a carburator with the car running. Basically the old valve isn't pliableas it should be. It doesnt open and closes like it should limiting the oxygenated blood flow to the body from the heart. This cause you to feel weak and might pass out.

Okay lets talk cars.
            Then we had the 120 year old freeze here in Houston. We got down to 13 and the high for days was around 28. Electric came and went as well as the heat. Made the man mistake and listened to my wife and I didn't stock up on firewood. She don't like the smell of a fireplace. I can't figure that out since we bought a house with a fireplace. I did have enough firewood though to make coffee a few days and a 5 gallon pot of chili until we had enough power 2 days later to make a different soup each day for the week. The longest we went without electric was 31 hours. Our lowest temperature in the house was 41. GOD was taking care of us.
            here is the link to the work Bernie did on the wagon before I bought it.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...=passing+torch.

Gadget it is the 90 block with a 90 Mustang GT throttle body,HO fuel injectors, mass air and ECM from the Mustang GT. The heads and intakes are GT 40 off of a 96 Explorer.
            The non start issue I am having is that once every 20 times or so in hot or cold weather I have to spray staring fluid into the car and it starts right up and run normal and great until it decides to not start whenever it wants. I replaced the TFI module after the first time. PIP sensor wasn't changed.
            Im thinking maybe a bad fuel pressure regulator. Would the IAC give this kind of issue?

Sorry about the long ramble and if incoherent. Just waking up and the coffee hasn't kicked in.
            I THANK YOU ALL ALWAYS for your help

Comment

Sorry for what you are going through both with your personal heath and the living situation.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thank you David. Believe me we are good and GOD was looking after this fool and his family. I pray for those that lost their loved ones and the broken pipes. Everyone should be ok with the water being drinkable tomorrow. 99%if not 100% of the people in Texas have power now.

Comment

Not only that but thankfully someone took notice of you in the parking lot you passed out in. That is scary stuff.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yikes, glad to hear you're OK though. The situation down there is an ugly mess, and having a medical situation on top of it makes it all the worse.

I'd be looking at a coolant or air temp sensor, or possibly a stuck IAC. If it starts and idles normal after a hoot of starting fluid, I wouldn't figure its IAC though. That would start and probably stall out from an overly low idle. If one of the temperature sensors is flaky it might not give enough fuel enrichment to light off.

http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page10.html

has the temperature to resistance or voltage charts to work out if one of yours is full of lies.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thank you Gadget.
                      I will check the temperature sensors and report back.
                      I appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
                      X