88 Towncar 4.6 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by massacre View Post
    Getting 5-600 rwhp out of a 2v 4.6 NA is going to cost big bucks. With forced induction it is easier but still expensive.
    A 4v 4.6 is a better alternative imho. You will still need a power adder tho.
    I would get a running and driving donor car if possible and swap over what you need.
    3 or 4 wires is an oversimplification. Cam and crank sensors, injectors, MAF and fuel system all need to be addressed.
    2v harness can run a 4v but there are things like reversing the polarity of the coil packs, as well as the ability to tune the ecm.

I don’t know a ton about the box panther ecm but I think it would be better to start out with a more modern ecm as far as tuning goes
    What he said.

Imo for stock or almost stock daily 2v 2.6 will be fine but for performance application small block would be cheaper to build.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      'nothing crazy, just 5-600 hp' are two statements that do not belong together.
      I concur. I think the OP hasn't driven anything with even 300 HP. That is more than adequate to make a car scoot fast enough to put a smile on your face. My dad's LS1 Camaro was a lot of fun. I think the problem with modern HP goals is that they're based around production cars like the Hellcat, Corvette/Camaro/Mustang, so 300HP is nothing if not laughable to those who haven't experienced it.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

500 horses in a hot rod is a whole different animal than a 500hp stock production car. 500hp in a 60's mustang with pro-touring suspension is feels sketchy, but the same 500hp in a BOAT with stock-ish suspension get's scary, real fast.
        And 500hp from an american V8 is totally different from a boosted 4cyl. Torque comes on immediately.

I don't want to discourage anyone, but go in stages. Maybe aim for 300 crank hp at first, then drive the shit out of it and think what you actually want.
        Don't get carried away watching Youtubers throwing an 800hp turbo-LS in anything and everything.
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

The problem is when someone builds a high compression bottom end for NA power, then decides that they want to boost it after the fact.
          Then the CR is too high for boost.
          So if you know you will want to boost the car in the future, don’t go apeshit with the compression ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
            500 horses in a hot rod is a whole different animal than a 500hp stock production car. 500hp in a 60's mustang with pro-touring suspension is feels sketchy, but the same 500hp in a BOAT with stock-ish suspension get's scary, real fast.
            And 500hp from an american V8 is totally different from a boosted 4cyl. Torque comes on immediately.

I don't want to discourage anyone, but go in stages. Maybe aim for 300 crank hp at first, then drive the shit out of it and think what you actually want.
            Don't get carried away watching Youtubers throwing an 800hp turbo-LS in anything and everything.
            ^^^^^^^This!^^^^^^^^

I would start with the suspension and brake mods/upgrades first. Then start making power. That way you start with a little bit of control over the newfound power. Then adjust accordingly. In my case; I already rebuilt the front and rear suspension; but I know I need more brakes (bigger with more clamping power); as the stock system was barely adequate for the lopo.

Comment

Oh no 5-600hp is my long term goal I'm not shooting for that right off the bat but I do want to future proof...But my plan is to do a rear disc conversion and big brake upgrade... not really decided on what route to take with the suspension but it will definitely be upgraded...I want a beefier posi rear not sure what gear...also I want to get the 4r70w and rebuild it been looking at the monster in a box kit and i want to rebuild the 4.6 as well then boost it later on down the line...I plan on getting a donor car for the wiring harness etc. But I also have a full sound system (4 12s) and 20in rims... I'm also used to driving cars with 350hp+ just never built one and if u wanna know scary try a box Chevy on 26s going down the highway at 130 lol... p.s. I would never put a ls in a Ford lol

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                X