Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crash bracket

Hey gang,
    I have to do the intake manifold on my 2010 Town Car. As a bus/truck mechanic, I'm familiar with replacing the intakes on the E/F series trucks/vans. I was checking the removal procedure on the Mitchell Pro program, and they mention the disconnection/removal of the "CRASH BRACKET", but they do not elaborate on what this looks like, or it's function. It does state "DO NOT LET IT COME IN CONTACT WITH THE CYLINDER HEAD". Any Info, and pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Mike

Is it the large metal plate in front of the fuel rail connection on the passenger side?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Sly,
      I honestly don't know. And now we're in the middle of a snowstorm, so I can't even look at it right now.

Comment

Its the large metal bracket on the driverside, behind engine/ back of intake. It protects the fuel rail in an crash. It was the worst part of the intake job on my '07 town. A stubby ratchet wrench will help.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I cut the crash bracket in half so if there is a next time I won't have to deal with it. Removing the wiper cowl makes removing the bracket 100% easier.

Bracket can be seen upper right.
          1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
          2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

There are 2 crash brackets. One in the front and one in the back.

This is the front one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	1288595

This is the rear one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0772.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	1288596

Comment

Hey guys,
              Thanks for the response, and pics. PVT. Hudson, removing the cowl panel is actually the first line in the removal process, in the Mitchell program. Mr. Bean, thank you for the pics. Now I have a better idea as to what I'm in for. While the intake is out, I'll also be doing the blower module, and all the heater, and radiator hoses, and the intake valley pipe, and block connector. The hoses are being replaced with CV interceptor silicone hoses. And while I'm at it, I'm going to replace the water pump.

Thanks, Mike

Comment

The rear one ... on a stand, just about dead center in the picture.
                Attached Files
                No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

tbear853,
                  Thank you. Now the rest of the pics are making sense. The only thing now, is the warning about not letting the bracket contact the cylinder head. I thought, maybe there was wiring involved. Does anyone have any idea why, or have had any issues on that front?
                  Thanks, Mike

Comment

No idea. The crash bracket installs over the intake and the back of the head. It has a hole for a plastic push tree wire holder. If you get a proper size bolt you can just eliminate the bracket all together. Earlier cars didn't have that bracket and the fuel rail was on the drivers side as well.

I just cut mine in half cause I didn't feel like searching for a bolt size that would fit. The bolt that holds the bracket/intake is much longer then the normal intake bolts.
                    1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
                    2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

I'd guess the correct direction of install doesn't touch the head, have it backwards/upsidedown/wrongwayaround it'll jam into the head and not function as intended in a crash.

Comment

That looks like a fun R&R in the car.
                        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                          That looks like a fun R&R in the car.
                          Jaywish, it is not bad at all, at least in the vans/pickups. It is actually easier than the 5.0/5.8 intakes. I just never had to deal with a "CRASH BRACKET" before, and I didn't want to just jump in, and run into unnecessary issues.
                          MIKE

Comment

Update guys.
                            Finally got to installing the intake. Except for a frozen thermostat bolt, the job went well. The crash brackets came out with no issues.(Thank you Gearwrench!!) I was a bit worried about the intake bolts, as almost ALL the bolt heads were rusted round. Thankfully, with the help of a BOLT OUT kit, they came out easily. I was able to order all the hardware new from Ford. After 8 months, I have my car back. Again, thank you guys for all the answers to my questions.
                            Mike

Comment

You are an inspiration.

I know, easy job, but one I have put off a long time. Not needed yet perhaps is my reason. I have it's replacement (improved '03 version, resealed aluminum to the plastic with JBWeld bonding and beefed up the rear plastic nipple with copper tube JBWelded inside) on "stand-by" even, want to do it just to update an all plastic intake on a '01, but winter is too cold and then there's "tomorrow" until it isn't. Truth is I guess I'm just not worried about it enough yet.
                              No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

Working...
                              X