2006 4.6 in a 2000 CV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2006 4.6 in a 2000 CV

With the motor in my 2000 toast. I have been looking for a 4.6 to put in her. I found a 2006 4.6 motor with similar mileage. Will a 06 4.6 work in my 2000 Crown victoria.

Thanks

Tim
    2000 Ford Crown Victoria
    84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
    85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
    89 Lincoln town car: RIP
    89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
    2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Yes but you will have to swap your fuel rails and plenum over to the new motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

+1 fuel rails and throttle body and intake elbow. Use the newer intake manifold. You should keep your own accessories (AC compressor, power steering pump, alternator). The newer water pump and pulley will line up with the older accessories. That alignment was the same for all 4.6 engines. You may also have to swap out sensors depending on if the connectors are different - IE: coolant temp sensor, cylinder temp sensor (driver side head behind the alternator), cam sensor. You will need to keep your old injectors unless you plan to tune it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Oil pan, oil pickup tube and exhaust manifolds will also have to be swapped over. You will also likely have to swap the aluminum crossover pipe from your old intake to the new one as it has additional hole for second temp sensor.

Comment

Would it be easier using a 2004 4.6
          2000 Ford Crown Victoria
          84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
          85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
          89 Lincoln town car: RIP
          89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
          1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
          1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
          2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

Originally posted by over2tonsofFun View Post
            Would it be easier using a 2004 4.6
            Nope. Any 2003+ will require same amount of work. It's not very difficult though. Everything is a straight bolt on. Might not be a bad idea to replace valve seals, intake and exhaust manifold gaskets at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
              Oil pan, oil pickup tube and exhaust manifolds will also have to be swapped over. You will also likely have to swap the aluminum crossover pipe from your old intake to the new one as it has additional hole for second temp sensor.
              Can drill and tap the flat boss on the side near the thermostat for the older temp sensor. That's what I did with my 93 and the 03 engine swap.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                Can drill and tap the flat boss on the side near the thermostat for the older temp sensor. That's what I did with my 93 and the 03 engine swap.
                Yea, that works too. I found it easier just to swap the crossover pipe. Finding a tap big enough is not easy where I live.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                  Yea, that works too. I found it easier just to swap the crossover pipe. Finding a tap big enough is not easy where I live.
                  Fair point. Very easy to find in my area.

Comment

Working...
                  X