PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you remove rusted screws? :(

Default How do you remove rusted screws? :(

Hey guys I figured I'd start a new topic for this, I'm trying to replace the headlights in the car, I got the low beams replaced no problem, but the high beam bulbs I can't get that stupid metal trim piece off, the screws are so rusted, I already tried lubricant, a power drill and of course old fashion screw driver. I haven't had success. So frustrating being in the salt states.

Try to shock them with a hammer. These are always very tight in my experience.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

You took the headlight bezel off first? Will give you greater access to futz with it all. Grille does have to come off though first for the crown vics to do things safely though one may just loosen and gently bend grille out of way to sneak out headlight bezel.

Once the headlight bezel is removed maybe you can get a dremel cut off wheel in there to cut a slot for a flat head to fit. Heat from dremel cutt off wheel will help loosen up things as well. If you can get two removed (two tops or two bottoms) you can bend the trim out of the way and slip out and in a new lamp.

One tip...if using phillips or eventually flat head (if you cut a slot in it) use a screw driver that has a square shank somewhere on the shaft and slip a wrench over that. Put your body weight into the screwdriver onto the fastener and use the wrench to turn it.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

fomoco panthers !

Try PB blaster. let it soak in for a little while. both sides if you can, I find it works very well. Agree with the others on their suggestions too.
    Last edited by Mainemantom; 02-02-2021 at 07:40 PM.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Fire. Might do some collateral damage but the screw definitely loses in the end.

if the head is already destroyed, drill the head off and then remove the entire headlight bucket so you can get the broken bit of screw out of the bucket in order to replace it. Do this as an absolute last case effort because its not going to be any fun at all.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

They make a tool that has interchangeable phillips/flat heads in it, and you smack it with a hammer, as you smack it it twists. I've removed many stubborn screws that way, and it helps prevent stripping the head to
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, GT40 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, Baumann Shift kit.

Hobbit

Take the lights off then let em soak in PB Blaster or something similar overnight. If you don't care about preserving the screw you can cut a slot in it with a dremel and use a flat head to get the screw out. Mini torch might also help but may cause damage to chrome. If it's roached beyond removal drill it out then tap and die.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll try to shock the screws tomorrow with a hammer, I can't get the lights off, already tried removing the whole housing (the alignment screws) and those are just as rusted. If I could get the lights themselves out I would just smash the old ones until the bezel trim popped off cause I'm installing leds to replace these.
    Last edited by TwiztidRat; 02-03-2021 at 12:56 AM.

I post a lot...

That tool is an impact hammer or impact driver the old fashioned kind.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

manual impact driver. I have one in my pile. It's come in quite handy.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Thanks for the help guys I got them out, just did the shock and awe method with a hammer and eventually got them to loosen.

Once I discovered "percussive persuasion" I've never looked back.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

I still like fire. If it doesn't remove the screw but turns the miserable thing into a lump of molten slag I still feel better about it.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Haha yeah fire will always win. If I had a torch I wouldíve used that iíll have to look into getting one of them pocket ones you can buy.

I once found a set of screw extractors at HF, they have a tip that drills, then a fluted extractor like thread ... they use reverse so you just pick it size you need, each has two ends ... then chuck in the reversible drill, set drill to reverse and drill. When the tip drills the hole, the extractor threads engage and in my use, grab and back the fubar screw out.

You'll need new screws but they are easy to find. Not HF, but these should work too. I looked but didn't see the set I bought online.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38374272728...yABEgJipfD_BwE
    No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Quote Originally Posted by TwiztidRat View Post
    Haha yeah fire will always win. If I had a torch I would’ve used that i’ll have to look into getting one of them pocket ones you can buy.
    I was thinking oxy-acetelyene. Might burn the car to the ground but there won't be a screw to worry about anymore.

How about thermite plasma? Itís easy to make

brilliant!

Haha. So who here lives in the salt states? We finally got the fun negative billion degrees below zero. The poor mercury definitely hates it, drives pretty sluggish till it warms up but motor does start strong.

I might not be in the US, but we got cold, snow, roadsalt and rust here too.
    The Volvo has given me a handful of new issues due to the freezing temps, nothing unusual. There's a disctinct difference in every vehicle when they're frozen and when it's warm out. Every car feels way shittier when they're cold.

Our government and traffic safety agency doesn't like rust, so rust repairs are a good business.
    For rusty nuts and bolts: heat and violence.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    1997 Volvo 850 GLE Estate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast