How do you remove rusted screws? :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you remove rusted screws? :(

Hey guys I figured I'd start a new topic for this, I'm trying to replace the headlights in the car, I got the low beams replaced no problem, but the high beam bulbs I can't get that stupid metal trim piece off, the screws are so rusted, I already tried lubricant, a power drill and of course old fashion screw driver. I haven't had success. So frustrating being in the salt states.

Try to shock them with a hammer. These are always very tight in my experience.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

You took the headlight bezel off first? Will give you greater access to futz with it all. Grille does have to come off though first for the crown vics to do things safely though one may just loosen and gently bend grille out of way to sneak out headlight bezel.

Once the headlight bezel is removed maybe you can get a dremel cut off wheel in there to cut a slot for a flat head to fit. Heat from dremel cutt off wheel will help loosen up things as well. If you can get two removed (two tops or two bottoms) you can bend the trim out of the way and slip out and in a new lamp.

One tip...if using phillips or eventually flat head (if you cut a slot in it) use a screw driver that has a square shank somewhere on the shaft and slip a wrench over that. Put your body weight into the screwdriver onto the fastener and use the wrench to turn it.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Try PB blaster. let it soak in for a little while. both sides if you can, I find it works very well. Agree with the others on their suggestions too.
        Last edited by Mainemantom; 02-02-2021, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Fire. Might do some collateral damage but the screw definitely loses in the end.

if the head is already destroyed, drill the head off and then remove the entire headlight bucket so you can get the broken bit of screw out of the bucket in order to replace it. Do this as an absolute last case effort because its not going to be any fun at all.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

They make a tool that has interchangeable phillips/flat heads in it, and you smack it with a hammer, as you smack it it twists. I've removed many stubborn screws that way, and it helps prevent stripping the head to
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Take the lights off then let em soak in PB Blaster or something similar overnight. If you don't care about preserving the screw you can cut a slot in it with a dremel and use a flat head to get the screw out. Mini torch might also help but may cause damage to chrome. If it's roached beyond removal drill it out then tap and die.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll try to shock the screws tomorrow with a hammer, I can't get the lights off, already tried removing the whole housing (the alignment screws) and those are just as rusted. If I could get the lights themselves out I would just smash the old ones until the bezel trim popped off cause I'm installing leds to replace these.
                Last edited by TwiztidRat; 02-03-2021, 12:56 AM.

Comment

That tool is an impact hammer or impact driver the old fashioned kind.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

manual impact driver. I have one in my pile. It's come in quite handy.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys I got them out, just did the shock and awe method with a hammer and eventually got them to loosen.

Comment

Once I discovered "percussive persuasion" I've never looked back.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I still like fire. If it doesn't remove the screw but turns the miserable thing into a lump of molten slag I still feel better about it.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Haha yeah fire will always win. If I had a torch I would’ve used that i’ll have to look into getting one of them pocket ones you can buy.

Comment

I once found a set of screw extractors at HF, they have a tip that drills, then a fluted extractor like thread ... they use reverse so you just pick it size you need, each has two ends ... then chuck in the reversible drill, set drill to reverse and drill. When the tip drills the hole, the extractor threads engage and in my use, grab and back the fubar screw out.

You'll need new screws but they are easy to find. Not HF, but these should work too. I looked but didn't see the set I bought online.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38374272728...yABEgJipfD_BwE
                              No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

Working...
                              X