How do you remove rusted screws? :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TwiztidRat View Post
    Haha yeah fire will always win. If I had a torch I would’ve used that i’ll have to look into getting one of them pocket ones you can buy.
    I was thinking oxy-acetelyene. Might burn the car to the ground but there won't be a screw to worry about anymore.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

How about thermite plasma? It’s easy to make

Comment

brilliant!
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Haha. So who here lives in the salt states? We finally got the fun negative billion degrees below zero. The poor mercury definitely hates it, drives pretty sluggish till it warms up but motor does start strong.

Comment

I might not be in the US, but we got cold, snow, roadsalt and rust here too.
            The Volvo has given me a handful of new issues due to the freezing temps, nothing unusual. There's a disctinct difference in every vehicle when they're frozen and when it's warm out. Every car feels way shittier when they're cold.

Our government and traffic safety agency doesn't like rust, so rust repairs are a good business.
            For rusty nuts and bolts: heat and violence.
            1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
            1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

It's finally cold here, the one to two weeks out of the season in SE Michigan where it gets cold. Really liking Odyssey batteries. Even when it was 1 or 4F yesterday morning, the engine spun over like it was 25F with the old Optima.

Keep everything oiled from day 1 and the salt won't get to things as bad as non oiled...
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Yeah I don't know what battery brand is in my car, usually any car I buy I always replace the battery since I don't know the shape or history of the old one but so far it's thankfully been good.

Comment

I usually do that too, well, now I have a load tester so I do that first. But with my truck, I some reason used the battery in it for several years. Think I only replaced it with this Odyssey because I needed a battery for this van we picked up several months ago.

Comment

Did you guys get the Odyssey batteries from Napa? I just saw they carried them.
                    1987 CV LX 5.0

Comment

Ordered them online, I think direct from Odyssey. Can't exactly remember though, definitely didn't find any at stores despite saying they were in stock. Really loving mine though. Another morning where my engine spun over like it wasn't even cold outside.

Comment

Those screws ... are they into a solid backing or plastic ears for support, impact drivers can destroy that back up or base. I forgot about a pair of needle nosed vice grips I've used to grip a screw's head. Screws are easy to buy new off the shelf, even offered in stainless steel.
                        No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

Obviously using lighter blows for softer materials is best. Don't whack it with a 4 pound hammer like trying to get the alignment screws out of a rusty rotor. Try a 19oz hammer first with lighter blows before going full hulk on it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Just a heads up for anyone that wants to install LED lights, best upgrade ever but make sure when you wire the adapter to the socket you plug the red wire in the ground part of the socket for the low beam bulbs. Mine all worked, but when I had the black wire in the ground socket the lights were more dim you wouldn't think the red wire should be in the ground part of the socket but it made all the difference for me still threw me for a loop though lol.

Comment

Working...
                            X