Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nearly new Ford trac lok not working on ice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My car did one-wheel peels on ice even with the traction lock when I got it. It does both now, but the traction lock was rebuilt with 8 clutches (vs 6) to give it extra. I don't think it got the truck spring, I seem to remember that launching into the abyss in the garage so the original one went back in.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ok... then what I posted counts. Mine does fishtails in the wet easy... in snow it's power slides everywhere. Ice... yeah... just both wheels trying to melt the ice.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
        I think the Detroit true trac is decent; nowhere near as clunky as the original DL.

I have a 2012 Boss 302 with a factory "torsen" diff (31 spline). I'm kind of embarrassed to say I don't know what mechanism it uses, but I know it works good!
        Torsen diffs are nice, probably a bit more expensive than regular clutch type LSDs. Unlike those, torsens are full of cogs, gears and screws and don't really ever wear out. TrueTrac is somewhat similar I believe.
        That being said, torsen diffs are more for street than strip. People I know have torsen diffs in a chevelle, firebirb (stock I believe), a couple Supras and even the center diff in my previous Audi.

Best LSD is a working LSD lol
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          My car did one-wheel peels on ice even with the traction lock when I got it. It does both now, but the traction lock was rebuilt with 8 clutches (vs 6) to give it extra. I don't think it got the truck spring, I seem to remember that launching into the abyss in the garage so the original one went back in.
          Our last F-150, I should say "Ashley's" last F-150, was factory equipped with a 3.55 trac-lok. Only factory option it had! Noticed it was worn out so we had it rebuilt by a shop. I went to do the rear brakes immediately after we got it back. Noticed I could overpower the clutches by hand, only slightly better than it was... Called shop, they said that's normal, that the trucks are loose like that. Meeeehhhh, I told him to make it tighter. Not sure WTF they did but I could no longer overpower the clutches and if we were too spirited with the throttle, it would chirp the tires when cornering, chatter I guess. What the dude said it might do. I was totally fine with that.

Originally posted by sly View Post
          ok... then what I posted counts. Mine does fishtails in the wet easy... in snow it's power slides everywhere. Ice... yeah... just both wheels trying to melt the ice.
          So did that F-150, and does my Firebird. That was an axle I got from an '83 Pace Car, so a posi unit without cone type clutches. To test it, I put one tire over moist dirt and the other over black top. Got in and nailed it- even patches between both tires. From that I feel that so long as everything is tight, both wheels should peel in a condition like that, unless extremely overpowered?
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

if you can overpower the clutches by hand, its not going to distribute power very evenly. Clutch limited slip units are never 50/50 but if you can move it by hand its probably barely better than a peg leg.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've gotta do a better street test but I did a short brake stand in the driveway and only one spun...the passenger side rear. My experience in the burn box at the drags is that pass side rear will spin then the driver side will catch up. Kinda sucks. I'm told I'm probalby too heavy and powerful (over 700 HP to the tires) for a stock trac lok. Mine came from Ford Racing so it should have the carbon clutches...but doubtful it has the extra 2 clutches. Also doubtful it was set up tight. True Trac has been recommended at about $580, I did look at Torsens but they're more like $700.
              Last edited by drhill; 02-11-2021, 12:16 AM.
              1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                if you can overpower the clutches by hand, its not going to distribute power very evenly. Clutch limited slip units are never 50/50 but if you can move it by hand its probably barely better than a peg leg.
                That's what I thought, I wasn't buying their bullshit. They made it right though, so whatevs. But, I believe I compared it to my Firebird or Town Car and yeah, I couldn't spin the a wheel by hand with the opposite on the ground. At least not without serious effort, can't recall the details..

Originally posted by drhill View Post
                I've gotta do a better street test but I did a short brake stand in the driveway and only one spun...the passenger side rear. My experience in the burn box at the drags is that pass side rear will spin then the driver side will catch up. Kinda sucks. I'm told I'm probalby too heavy and powerful (over 700 HP to the tires) for a stock trac lok. Mine came from Ford Racing so it should have the carbon clutches...but doubtful it has the extra 2 clutches. Also doubtful it was set up tight. True Trac has been recommended at about $580, I did look at Torsens but they're more like $700.
                Well, if you've been ragging on it like that for awhile, the clutches are probably smoked now. Even with 700HP, it should still work both wheels, or at least try to up until the point it turns into a grenade.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I'd expect the diff to blow up before the clutches had a chance to wear out at that power level.

Comment

It you are powering out of corners, you ain't doing the clutches any favors. But something to keep in the back of your mind as a wear item if you like getting on it in anger around corners, the diff is going to try and diff and it will somewhat succeed, and succeed more as the clutches wear to the point you end up with a peg leg eventually.

Comment

Working...
                    X