Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP Kobers Junk Yard.....Attention NJ guys!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Kobers Junk Yard.....Attention NJ guys!

The greatest "junk" yard that I ever had the "pleasure" of getting down and dirty was "Kobers" in Washington, New Jersey...initially I went there to "pull" parts for my 1959 Studebaker "Lark" Koberts had what must have been 100 acres of land....each sectioned off for specific makes. When I had my '67 500 XL tudor I wnt to Kobers many times for parts They would allow you to pull parts, or do it for you for a very modest fee. The yard does not exist anymore, the family sold the land for (what else) the development of condo's....

Don’t know the place but know the similar stories around here.

Junkyards by nature have to be accessible to people so they can’t be in the middle of nowhere. They start out way out on the fringe, and then urban sprawl swallows them up.

I think David mentioned in other thread that it’s starting to get to the point where there is nothing in the yards that is useful to boxes or even Aeros. I enjoy junkyarding as an occasional adventure but it’s almost a waste of time at this point.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

But once the area goes downhill then you end up with lots of room in Detroit, I mean in the area, for junkyards. It's like the circle of junkyard life.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
        But once the area goes downhill then you end up with lots of room in Detroit, I mean in the area, for junkyards. It's like the circle of junkyard life.
        Truth. Haven’t gotten to that point here but getting close. Lots of used tire shops that never seem to have business with back lots full of stuff.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Isn't Detroit itself one big junkyard, unfortunately?

Comment

We had a great junkyard out here on Long Island in Center Moriches. Still had stuff for old cars floating around while all the other junk yards didn't deal with anything old. (Probably due to the lack of real estate).

Looks like land prices going up won out and it's gone now. Sold the land for $4.2 million. Probably more than they were making junking.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M44978-39142

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Moriches Auto Wreckers. I knew it well. They kind of killed themselves. First, you couldn't pull your own parts anymore. Then the prices started to skyrocket. There used to be a yard in Southampton, called Universal auto salvage, that used to have EVERYTHING!! I don't know what happened to them, but unforntunately, they're gone as well.
              MIKE

Comment

Originally posted by bnw View Post
                Isn't Detroit itself one big junkyard, unfortunately?
                Some in Detroit treat it like it is. There are some decent parts though.

We do have great junkyard picking in the Detroit area, but one of the biggest yards in Detroit closed for renovations a couple years ago.
                Same company recently closed down their Flat Rock location, now they only have their 8 Mile location open. Lots of speculation that the other 2 locations may never open again which is sad. Although the company keeps saying that there is no official word on the FR location, listed as temporarily closed, and West Warren Ave is still listed as closed for renovation on their site.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by PICKUP6772 View Post
                  Moriches Auto Wreckers. I knew it well. They kind of killed themselves. First, you couldn't pull your own parts anymore. Then the prices started to skyrocket. There used to be a yard in Southampton, called Universal auto salvage, that used to have EVERYTHING!! I don't know what happened to them, but unforntunately, they're gone as well.
                  MIKE
                  Ah, I didn't know you could pick your own parts at one point. That would have been much better. The times I was there they already moved to them getting the parts for you.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                  X