Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will 17x8 with +38 offset (6" backspacing) work on my 87? How much spacer? HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another option is doing the big brake swap, which uses a unit bearing and does not protrude as far past the mounting flange.

Comment

Update:
      Did a test fitting of the wheels without tires since the tires and spacers both finally arrived. Seems like clearances should be alright, if I get really lucky I won't have to roll my fenders, but we'll find out tomorrow morning when they get mounted and balanced.

I went ahead and installed the 1.5 inch (38mm) spacers on all four corners. This did require drilling out the front two, as JeffBoudah had mentioned, the front hub on an '87 is kinda funky. I used a hole save that was the same size as the hub. So the spacers have remained hub-centric, and the hub seems to protrude far enough that the wheel remains properly fitting. Currently the stock (for the later 90s body style as I found out) 15x6.5 wheels that are on the car clear everything with the spacers in place and even at 80mph I don't have any odd vibrations or anything after bolting it together.
      I do believe the American Racing wheels I picked up might be lighter than the stock wheels. The car already feels more confident in turns with the slightly wider track width, and it looks better as well.

If my estimations and back of the napkin math it correct, then the new setup will sit in as deep as the current wheels without spacers, and sit out as far as the current wheels with the spacers. So it will all fit.

I think my wheel gap may be partially due to the 1000lb front springs I went with. Even using the speedway springs, I know the spring rate affects the final ride height.

Comment

That's great to hear. Please do post pics when you get them mounted. And maybe one or two with the spaced out stock wheels?
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
          That's great to hear. Please do post pics when you get them mounted. And maybe one or two with the spaced out stock wheels?
          I'll try to post some up later today.

Had a super busy weekend. But got the wheels and tires on, no rub, and didn't have to roll my fenders for any clearance issues. I likely will still do this for good measure though.

I only have two short videos with the stock wheels spaced out, I forget if I had mentioned that they were the stocks for the new body style. But it looked and felt better even just with those spaced out.
          I'll find a reason at some point to throw the stock wheels back on again as well. And get pictures on that day, eventually.

I'll get some more pictures with the current setup, as I have to take some to post on Instagram anyhow. Gotta get those likes or whatever.

Comment

Currently this is the only "after" shot I have. As somehow I've discovered another yet to be diagnosed electrical issue when I went to do a 3g alternator swap last night.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20210228_160151.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1288700

However I have no pictures of the couple day with spacers on stock wheels. I have two video clips though, will get on uploading those somewhere soon. Likely instagram.

Comment

I don't know why this ended up sideways and such. Very odd. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Comment

Nah; a lot of my pics end up sideways too.

Your MGM looks good with those wheels.

Comment

Pics taken vertically on a phone tend to get sideways on the forum. Horisontally taken work always.
                  1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                  1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Man that looks awesome. I’m usually a turbine only kinda guy on boxes (unless it’s a Lincoln and it gets lacy turbines). But this one looks good.
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                    X