What bulb replacement for dome light :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What bulb replacement for dome light :(

Hey guys I feel foolish having to ask this, but what damn bulb is in the 80s dome lights? I am looking for an led replacement bulb. Just have the typical dome light with the map lights on the corners. It shouldn't be this hard to find the bulb but ford have to change so much junk it seems and it's very frustrating trying to find an led bulb equivalent.

According to the owner manuals for a Crown vic. It shows bulb 561.

Comment

I've swapped nearly every bulb in my Lincoln with LEDs, and while your Mercury might have fewer lights it probably doesn't have different lights. In my experience, most every bulb that isn't behind the dash/instrument panel can be swapped out with either a 194 or 1156 socket replacement. The 1156s are for things like cornering and reverse lamps, the trunk light, and both map lights. The 194s go pretty much everywhere else, including the dome light.

One thing to look out for with LEDs, which you may already be savvy to, is the color temperature of the light. A warm white, or lower temperature, will look closer to stock incandescent. I found with my black interior, though, that a cooler white ended up making the car feel a little less cave-like. And, of course, there are all sorts of colored options too.

Edit: Based on Tom's answer it looks like non-Lincolns may be different, so disregard what I said.
      1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

I remember two variants for the dome light center bulb. Check which type you have then proceed from there. Can always source a different dome light if your current one does not offer a LED alternative.

One that looked similar to this:

And one that looked similar to this one linked:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/LMOB...aAsVVEALw_wcB&
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

That one looks to be a 168 or whatever. Those are probably also what's in the opera lights. ONce upon a time, I replaced every single exterior bulb in my Town Car. I believe '89 and up used the blade socket style bulbs.

Anyway, Ford got lots and lots of mileage out of that damn dome light. They used that in pretty much every damn vehicle they made. From F series trucks to 70's barges, you name it.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

There is a lighting schedule in the back of the owner's manual if you have one still
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Absolutely what 87gtVic said. If you don't have the owner's manual with lighting schedule that gadget73 mentioned, pop the cover off the dome light to figure out which of the two styles you have. There may be a model year breakpoint for when one style was used over the other, but I haven't figured it out.
              My dome light on both of my '91s had the 561 bulb (562 should work as well, http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post699544), but yours may take the 168 or 912.
              561/562 LED is available, I have LED in both of mine.

Also, if you haven't found already, there is a clear dome light lens available from LMC Truck, part number 47-4291. https://www.lmctruck.com/1980-96-for...ome-light-lens It matches the light covers in the door/armrest nicely (if you have that option). The fit on mine is a little tight, but your results may vary.
              Last edited by VicCrownVic; 02-18-2021, 11:33 AM.
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I second the LMC truck one. I like it. Does fit very tight. I dont want to mess with it for fear of snappage.
                ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Here's a pic if it helps, I know it's not a 164, or a 906 which according to auto part sites it is. This is what has me confused, so I'm guessing it's either a 168 or possibly 561? I went on LMC actually to buy one of their clear lenses that's why I'm monkeying with the dome light now lol but their led bulb is $14 for one, so I thought if I went on ebay and found some that would work cheaper and more than one bulb for the price it'd be a no brainer I like cool white led light, and I know a few led bulb brands I always bought on ebay that were great for my other vehicles.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	57F95A4B-CD22-4819-9F59-832E0D225EB3.png
Views:	1
Size:	917.0 KB
ID:	1288651

Comment

Thats a 561.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+1, 561. 562 should work as well.
                      I went with a cheap LED 561 from eBay about 5 years ago and it's still going. With the clear cover it's much brighter than the incandescent.
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by TwiztidRat View Post
                        Here's a pic if it helps, I know it's not a 164, or a 906 which according to auto part sites it is. This is what has me confused, so I'm guessing it's either a 168 or possibly 561? I went on LMC actually to buy one of their clear lenses that's why I'm monkeying with the dome light now lol but their led bulb is $14 for one, so I thought if I went on ebay and found some that would work cheaper and more than one bulb for the price it'd be a no brainer I like cool white led light, and I know a few led bulb brands I always bought on ebay that were great for my other vehicles.
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]55809[/ATTACH]
                        That is how I remember the stock one being in my 87 CV. I later swapped out to a thunderbird unit I found that is low gloss black. It is either factory or very well done by someone...reason I picked it from a junkyard eons ago...I believe it used a wedge type bulb.

EDIT. I looked back into my notes and the black dome light housing I pulled was from a 1990 Cougar!

That was with a factory dome light lens in case you are wondering.
                        Last edited by 87gtVIC; 02-18-2021, 08:08 PM.
                        ~David~

Comment

yes that type is called festoon and available in many lengths
                          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Thanks again guys! And 87vic I like that black housing, maybe I'll look for a replacement like that one, but I like that light with the stock lense more than if it was a clear lense. I don't know why, but if mine was black I would leave the lense how it is, but the chrome I think looks better with a clear one.

Comment

Just by the way Red is considered the best color for not ruining night vision but still providing good vision.
                              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                              X