pulled some codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pulled some codes

Hi, I got around to pulling some codes yesterday.
    This is a 1990 Colony Park with a stock block, 96 Explorer heads and intakes, 90 HO throttle body, 90 Mustang Computer, Mustang headers, 19 lb injectors and Mustang Mass Air set up. The Mass Air meter is actually a 75 mm Pro Flow. The air box is an 80's Cougar mounted behind the drivers side headlights.

The GT 40 intake does NOT have the Boss drilled and tapped for the ATC sensor. I don't see one anywhere. I assume this is why the gas mileage is so bad. 10 MPG.
    I probably have dozens of questions, but will try to limit the number. The car does chirp 2nd gear at 3500 rpm. Amazing for a 4000 lb car. Im sure the 3.55L gears help.
    1. Can I tap into the air tube between the Mass Air Meter and the throttle body for the ATC?
    I just ordered a new PRO M 75 mm mass air meter and sensor, since I do not know the history of the current one.
    The codes I get are KeyOn EngineOff codes.
    23 Throttle Position sensor out of range.
    95 Fuel Pump secondary circuit fault.
    33 EGR valve not opening properly.
    53 TPS above max voltage
    Fuel injector pump lever sensor input is
    greater than self test.
    63 Throttle Position circuit fault below minimum voltage.

Keyon EngineRunning codes.
    12 RPM at idle out of range/high
    23 TP signal out of range.

The RPMS are 1100 on start up in Park.
    900 down to 500 in drive. It will surge within this range at stop lights. Of course the engine light will come back on. Most of the time the engine light is off.
    The car still runs well, even when you give it hell.

Once I get these issues straightened out
    at light and medium throttle the car always has shifted 2-3 right at 40mph. Most of my driving is around 35-40mph so it dont shift until I speed up to 40mph. What would I adjust to have it shift at 35mph?

Any help and comments are always appreciated.
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

If the air temp sensor doesn't hit some number, it doesn't go into long term fuel trim learn. I think its 140F? Something like that. The early GT40 has a flat spot where the sensor would be, and its easy to drill/tap it with the proper stuff. The later lowers do not have the flat spot and there really isn't much you can do for that. Either way it probably isn't helping your fuel economy.

The problem with just putting it in other places is the ECM is programmed to expect it in the lower intake. Its using that to control one of the fuel tables to alter the fuel mix based on air temp entering the cylinder. It can be tuned to know that its reading air stream temp, but just sticking the sensor in the air tube is going to read basically outside air temp and the ECM will think the engine is constantly cold. It will probably just fatten the fuel mix up, and the fuel econ will suck because of it.

I'd honestly go for an OEM Ford MAF. the aftermarket ones have questionable transfer curves and can do all manner of retarded shit.

23 - tps is probably bad
    95 - the fuel pump sense wire wasn't connected when the MAF conversion was done. Needs a wire connected from ECM pin 19 to the fuel pump side of the pump relay. Or not, because honestly this doesn't matter. It just sets a code. The only real diag function it can tell you is if the fuel pump relay is bad, but thats not exactly difficult to figure out.
    33 - make sure the EGR vacuum plumbing is actually connected and not leaky
    53 - TPS is still bad
    -- no idea, not sure this number, don't think I've ever heard of this code before
    63 - yet again, the TPS is bad

12 - might be a lot of things, but change the TPS first and see if it fixes itself
    23 - TPS

Put a TPS on it and see if most of this nonsense doesn't go away.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It does have the flat spot on the lower, but I don't want to pull the intake until I have to, maybe to replace the fuel injectors one day.

you're so AWESOME Gadget. Thank you Thank you Thank you.
      Last edited by stinkydogfilms; 02-24-2021, 07:01 PM.
      90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
      90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
      91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
      70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

If you're feeling brave you can drill it on the car. Its going to dump aluminum shavings down the hole. If the valve isn't open you can blast it with air and get most of the chips out if the upper intake is off.

smarter move is do it off the car. Its 3/8" NPT, needs a 9/16" tap drill.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm not feeling too brave on that.
          Any advice on lowering the 2-3 shift point?
          It's suppose to have a Mustang governor.
          Thanks again.

Comment

see if it changes with the TPS. Throttle position may change a bit and that might be enough to do it.

otherwise you can lower the TV pressure a smidge, but too low will cause damage.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Gadget you nailed it again. A couple of days ago I changed the TPS and the check engine light never came on. I drove 7 miles around the neighborhood with quite a few stop signs. The idle stayed at 600-650 rpms when stopped. Yesterday I replaced the ECT sensor and drove another 7 miles thru the same route. Everything was fine. No check engine light and a great idle. Giving it WOT a couple of times and its still chirping 2nd gear at 3800 rpms. All is good and I do THANK YOU!

Comment

Nice!
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

it does a wide open shift at only 3800? Thats like a thousand too low. Also must be a hell of an aggressive shift kit if it breaks the tires loose at that rpm.

Comment

it actually will break them loose by accident sometimes at less throttle than that. I need to dyno it one day. I am curious about the torque. Im guessing the horsepower is around 280.
                      When Bernie and Pirranah had it for sell, someone mentioned that it ran like a raped ape. That was the selling point at which I bought it.

Comment

are you sure the tach is right? If it really is shifting that low, you're probably losing a lot of potential because of it. The HO governor typically goes around 4800, the lopo one is about 4300.

Comment

I’m going to check with another tach.
                          I thought it was shifting before at 45 mph with the 3.55s and AOD. I looked again and it looked like 40 mph at 3800.

Comment

gear calc says that 3800 in 2nd with a 3.55 and stock-ish size tires (26.6") would be 58. Would be 34 in first gear. I'm assuming stock ratio AOD at least. Wide ratio would be 55 and 30 respectively.

so something doesn't add up here. Either the tach is off, the speedo is off, or both are off. Or you have significantly different than stock diameter tires.

Comment

I'm sorry if I was not clear. The shift from 1st into 2nd is at 3800 rpm. The AOD has stock gears. I know the shift should be higher. I have not even checked the WOT shift from 2 to 3 and beyond. The tires are 235/70/15 Goodrich TAs. 28 inches tall.

Comment

Working...
                              X