Steel wheel dress up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steel wheel dress up...

I still haven't found a set of wheels for my Lincoln. Everything I come across is either beat up/coroded or overpriced. For example, it looks like there is a decent looking set of Lacey spokes in the Chicago C.L. They want something like 750 for the set of 4. They're not perfect either ... Sounds really overpriced to me.

The wheels I looked at in the local junkyard were all beat to shit. Nothing good was found when I went looking last summer.

So... I hate the wirewheel covers. They are kinda rattley and have some corrosian. Little bit of green on my left front. I also just plain don't like the look. Now, when I put new tires on the car I kinda liked the look of the white walls on the bare black steelies. Only problem was, I kept getting told by the people I know that it looked kind of ghetto, so I put the stupid covers back on. Well, I'm fed up.

Has anyone on here taken them off and done something different with the steelies? I was thinking trim rings and chrome lugnuts with little center caps to cover the hub and center of the rear brake drums. Or maybe little covers that go over the lugs and trim rings. Heck, I just want to get away from the full wheel covers. I don't like em'.

Anybody got pictures of what I'm thinking of on a box? I've tried a bunch of googling and came up with nothing.
    1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series-102k miles- LOPO 302, AOD, open 3.27, Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo mufflers

You could consider 95 and up mustang rims. They seem to be relatively plentiful, particularly compared to TC/CV/GM rims. Available in many styles. I don't know if they are still compatible up to 2021.

Also being larger size you are positioned for a brake upgrade and the selection of tires is better.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Allot of Lacy Turbines listed on Car-part.com variety of prices. You will have to do some homework regarding getting pictures, negotiating. I just looked at midwest stock. Lots available !

Comment

When driving a lincoln driving on anything other than full wheel covers or alloy wheels will look off.

Maybe get a cheap set of beat wheels from the junkyard and have them refinished would be a good compromise.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I hated my wire covers aswell, I should've taken them off way earlier.
          The "ghetto/beater" look lessened a bit just by cleaning and waxing the wheels with autoglym SRP.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200827_111331.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1288675 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200827_125746.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	1288676

I like how it sits now, for being on stock wheels and tires:

Name:	20200830_134947(1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	1288677

Personally I reeaaally want poverty caps, but I need other wheels for that. Stock sizes would be okay, maybe spacers all around to fill the wheelwells better.
          I wouldn't mind some wide tires on wide rims, maybe 8" in front and 10" in the back. Get a mean look for every one of those 140hp...

Steelies will somehow always look more out-of-place on a lincoln vs ford and merc. Turbines fit a Town Car the best.
          Newer wheels might be hard to fit due to a generally high backspacing.

MK VIII wheels might be cool

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1288678
          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
          1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Too bad the hub snouts stick out so far in stock form on these cars.
            If it wasn't for those hubs something like center caps from a 2003-2005 Lincoln Aviator might fit. Would require 12 collared lug nuts. Same bolt pattern on the Aviator. The only problem I see is those center caps not being tall enough. Might fit on the back wheels, but highly unlikely on the front.
            https://centercaps.net/products/linc...QaAr5XEALw_wcB
            There are better deals out there but that link has the picture of the backside of the caps that I wanted to see.

Name:	3239_07c067b6-c544-4677-a2d0-036820dd3eaf_grande.jpg
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	1288679

Name:	3239b-full_grande.jpg
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	1288680

If your local JY has an Aviator and a Panther in stock, grab one center cap and test fit on a '79-'91 box Panther. If no suitable Panthers in the yard and if center caps are cheap enough, get one and test fit on your car.

The more I look at these the more certain I am that these will not work, but my vote is still for some center caps.
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Thanks for the ideas all.
              For the most part I just want something different than the look I got now. Also want to be able to pull the wheels off easier. As it is now, I have to back out some odd bolt, then take off the covers. That bolt can be a pain. Yea, I suppose the plain steelies don't look right on a Lincoln. Probably why I didn't find any pictures online.

Jaywish, thanks for the idea but I really don't like what was on the 95+ mustang for a Lincoln. Just doesn't look right to me. Maybe I'm picky, I don't know.
              The only ones that do look good to me are the other options available in the 80's for the Lincoln and an aluminum wheel that was available for the 90-97 TC. Probably others out there that I'd like but that's all I can think of at this moment. Edit- just thought of another, those hpp? or is it hpv? wheels look good on a TC.

I've never checked out that car-part.com website before. There are lots available, but I'm surprised that there isn't much for a full set off of a single car. Most is 1 or 2 of a car, then ya got to find some from another. Don't like that because they could have different patina wheel to wheel depending on how the different cars were treated.

Vic, that's a good idea and eye for those Lincoln caps. Never would have thought of them. I'll have to see if our yard has any of them vehicles and experiment. I wonder if the plastic on the center of them caps could be cut out on the backside to fit over the hub. Theyd probably look allright for now if theyd fit and maybe a set of thin trim rings to set the look off.
              Last edited by ZackN920; 02-28-2021, 11:36 AM.
              1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series-102k miles- LOPO 302, AOD, open 3.27, Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo mufflers

Comment

How about a set of factory wheel covers? Then you won't have to change tires over? I have a set of 4 from an 89 I parted out years ago. WagonMan
                Attached Files
                89 Colony Park
                90 Colony Park
                70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Hmm. That don't work for me either. Guess I am too picky.
                  So, the problem with those to me is that they look too - ...old people-ish to me.

Changing tires over really isn't that big of a deal for me. As long as I find the right set to put them on. Gotta be in nice shape, not necessarily perfect but not beat either.
                  I also considered the steelies with accesories like mentioned above because I've liked the look on other cars and trucks. My old pickup for example, has black steelies with chrome lug nuts and white letter tires. Looks freakin sweet to me.
                  Full wheel covers though, never appealed to me.

If anyone's got pics of my ideas on there car, post 'em. Don't care if its a Lincoln or not. Just want an idea of how they'd look. Meanwhile I'll be looking online now for more options and what's available. I just don't like the idea of no being able to inspect in person, then having them shipped to me.
                  Last edited by ZackN920; 02-28-2021, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Mark 8 wheels have a different bolt pattern. You'd need an adapter to make it go. Forget the metric but its basically 5x4.25 vs 5x4.5.

I have Mark VII LSC wheels on mine. Needs spacers to make it go. Same issue with most any Fox or SN-95 chassis wheel though. Lots of Chrysler product wheels also fit but need the spacer. Jeep Cherokees at one point had a neat set of lace wheels that wouldn't look bad on a Lincoln.

personal opinion but I hate naked steelies, and honestly all of the factory hubcaps are crap so I get where you're coming from.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

A Lincoln's gotta look dignified and formal, not a boyracer. It's a fine line between dignified and "old people-ish". I agree with Zack, full wheel cover mostly look boring and grandpa style.
                      I rummaged through my random stash of pics on my PC, found a couple.

Name:	5.0.2.jpg
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	1288682 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5256.JPG
Size:	329.7 KB
ID:	1288683
                      Don't know either wheelbrand or anything about those.

What if... ...big steelies?
                      Like 18" detroit steel wheels smoothies? With chrome caps or Lincoln center caps like above? Bigger diameter plus polished lip / trim ring would look proper even without white stripe tires.

Name:	HQ+RIM+NEW.jpg
Size:	474.7 KB
ID:	1288684

A cool, different look and improving handling and tire selection at the same time?

EDIT: These center caps might have a better chance fitting than what Vic linked
                      http://www.midwestwheelcover.com/305...schrome-1.aspx

Name:	3053bCCFront.JPG
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1288685
                      Last edited by Arquemann; 02-28-2021, 02:29 PM.
                      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Wow, had no idea someone wants that much for Lacey Spokes.

The 16x7 Lacey Spoke wheels, even though painted or powder coated silver metallic would look at home and fit with their near zero offset. I have a set that were on my '01, never hit a curb, no rash, that I've saved for future use after I went with 17x7 Sport wheels and 235/55-17 rubber. I think the OEM 16x7 Teardrop wheels I took off the Mercury in 2002 would look great on a LTC too, they are elegant wheels, especially with the narrow WW Michelins!

The odd ball picture is a set of Chrysler Police Car 15x7 wheels (same lug pattern and offset, though I forget the hub hole diameter) on a Blue & Grey 1980 Plymouth Gran Fury police car wearing deep dish beauty rings from a Corvette and the Holed Dog Dish hub caps.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by tbear853; 02-28-2021, 03:02 PM.
                        No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                          EDIT: These center caps might have a better chance fitting than what Vic linked
                          http://www.midwestwheelcover.com/305...schrome-1.aspx
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]55861[/ATTACH]
                          I saw those but didn't look at them because I thought those were turbine center caps that require the little nub/stud things. They do look like a better candidate, but I'm not sure they will fit on the front. Junkyard test fitting definitly requird, although that might not be as easy in other areas compared to Detroit where we always have donors and test fit vehicles.

The ones I linked will definitly not be good. After coming across a side picture I see the sidewalls of the cap don't go down far enough because of how the wheels they go with are designed. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lincoln-Avi...oAAOSwZpJfO95f

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	1288690 There would be a huge gap between the cap and the wheel.
                          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                            Junkyard test fitting definitly requird, although that might not be as easy in other areas compared to Detroit where we always have donors and test fit vehicles.
                            ZackN920, I keep a list in my phone of things to look for at the JY. Added test fitting some Lincoln centers from other modles on a box with your screen name so I know who to reply to.
                            I may not make it to the yards before you, but next time I'm out I'll see what I can get for pictures and let you know if any fit ok.
                            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I run a set of MarkVII wheels on my fox and I think they look really nice.
                              Small hubcaps and beauty rings look nice too.

Comment

Working...
                              X