No announcement yet.

Steel wheel dress up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I dressed up my steelies and ran them for a few weeks about a month ago or so. On the Lincoln, I kinda liked it - but at the same time kinda didn't like it. Hard to explain. Just didn't seem right. What was nice was that the car rode quieter around town. My wheel covers on the other hand rattle a bit.

I don't know, maybe the look clashed a bit... Or maybe it was because there were no little caps right in the center of the wheel... Take a look at the pics. See what ya think. It'll give anyone else that's curious about doing something with their steelies an idea too!

For now, I got the full wire wheel covers back on. I don't like them, but eh. Looks a little more proper. In the mean time I'm looking for another set of wheels. I'm seeing on eBay that there are companies that refurbish and re sell stock rims. Are these a good option? Prices for some don't sound too bad. I got a set of Lacey Spoke wheels favorited in my phone that are "remanufactured" for under $600. Only problem is, these and all other reman sets I find don't come with center caps. And it appears to be hard to find a set of 4 caps for a decent price. Would anyone here have a full set of 4?
    Attached Files
    1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series-102k miles- LOPO 302, AOD, open 3.27, Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo mufflers

Comment

Do you like this style wheelcover? Off a 88 Towncar. Pm me if interested.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3043.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	1289247
      Last edited by Mainemantom; 06-27-2021, 07:32 PM.

Comment

You do have to be careful with re-manufactured wheels. Most of the time they come from wrecking yards. Unknown if they have come from collision vehicles. Hard to know if they have been bent and fixed.

Comment

If you're still interested in HPPs this is what they look like on my 88. Ford center caps on the back, LSC center caps on the front. Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1289249Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1289250
          Last edited by aharonLTC; 06-27-2021, 09:02 PM. Reason: add center cap info

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
            Do you like this style wheelcover? Off a 88 Towncar. Pm me if interested.[ATTACH=CONFIG]56573[/ATTACH]
            Unfortunately no. Thanks for the offer though.

So far, the only Lincoln wheel cover I really liked the looks of is a design from the late 1960's to early 70's that looks like a turbine wheel. To top it off, those wheel covers have that octagon shaped center that the Lincoln badge fits in, just like the wheels and wheel covers used on the first gen Town Car's. Other than that, I really don't like any factory option that I have seen. On any model Lincoln for that matter.

If I could find a set of them reasonably priced, that would probably be the easiest option for me. I wouldn't have to have my tires put on another set of rims!
            I found a pic of the style I'm talking about.

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
            You do have to be careful with re-manufactured wheels. Most of the time they come from wrecking yards. Unknown if they have come from collision vehicles. Hard to know if they have been bent and fixed.
            Balls. That puts me back to square 1. I'll have to keep watching what comes into the junkyard and check out my options in person since I can't trust online sellers that claim they refurbish wheels. At least that'll be cheaper. I can buy a set of wheels from them for only 200 or so, if I can find a set I'm happy with. Maybe I should just buy a couple more wire wheel covers in better shape and just say f*** it.
            1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series-102k miles- LOPO 302, AOD, open 3.27, Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by aharonLTC View Post
              If you're still interested in HPPs this is what they look like on my 88. Ford center caps on the back, LSC center caps on the front. [ATTACH=CONFIG]56575[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]56576[/ATTACH]
              Holy crap! Nice car! I love the looks of that. The wheels work well with it. I can't make out the details on the center caps the best, but either style looks fine to me. If I found a set of them in nice shape, I would not turn them down. They look slick on an old TC.

Comment

I have a never installed set of wire wheel covers for a 89 towncar. I bought them from the Lincoln dealer in 1990 nos. Because they have sat in storage, the underside is rusty. The tops are near perfect. Pm me if interested. Pictures are available.

Comment

I haven't gotten out the JYs as much as I thought I would this year. Box picking has really slowed down around here, so I haven't had a chance to try any other cap options on an actual box when I have made it out to the JY.
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Here are some center caps and wheel covers I have for sale. Sets of 4. I have both 6" and 7" turbine caps, Lacy center caps and 4 full size wheel covers. WagonMan
                    Attached Files
                    89 Colony Park
                    90 Colony Park
                    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by ZackN920 View Post
                      Holy crap! Nice car! I love the looks of that. The wheels work well with it. I can't make out the details on the center caps the best, but either style looks fine to me. If I found a set of them in nice shape, I would not turn them down. They look slick on an old TC.
                      Thanks. The rear ones are the standard Ford ones, the fronts say "BBS". Other LSC ones say "LSC" on black or red background. LSC caps fit over the long hubs without modification, standard Ford/Mercury caps need their inner tabs ground out, and one aftermarket without tabs I tried was too tight.

Comment

Thanks. The rear ones are the standard Ford ones, the fronts say "BBS". Other LSC ones say "LSC" on black or red background. LSC caps fit over the long hubs without modification, standard Ford/Mercury caps need their inner tabs ground out, and one aftermarket without tabs I tried was too tight.
                        Oh cool. Anther with some BBS caps...check out this thread:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...er-cap-origins
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

There are also Bill Blass center caps that fit those wheels. 90-92 BB and LSC got the same wheels, only difference was the caps.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I agree that the Lacey spokes, aka: HPP wheels would look great on the box Lincoln, but I also think the Teardrop wheels that came on so many Mercury GMs would look very nice, elegant even on that Lincoln. They are the same 5x4.5 lug pattern, correct offset near zero, and are 16x7 inches too. They really look great with thin white walls.
                            No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

This like an edit additional to the prior post which I could not edit.

I like steelies dressed nice, and while black wheels with the beauty rings and chrome lug nuts have their place, their place isn't on a Lincoln, IMHO. They just don't fit the car's character. Even plain steel with nothing but paint and no bling look good on some cars.

But then you're the one who looks back at it after parking it.
                              No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

If you're still interested in HPPs this is what they look like on my 88. Ford center caps on the back, LSC center caps on the front. [ATTACH=CONFIG]56575[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]56576[/ATTACH]
                                That is a really nice look! Drop that a few inches and a box LTC couldn't get much better IMO.
                                1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                                1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Working...
                                X