PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: starting off in 2nd gear..90 AOD

Default starting off in 2nd gear..90 AOD

So it seems like the car is starting off in second gear from a stop. What could be the cause? If I pull the gear lever all the way down (2) I have 1st gear and if I floor it in second with the lever in (D) it down shifts into 1st. Any ideas?
    Thank you

hmmm sticky valve body?
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, GT40 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, Baumann Shift kit.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I had that problem with a totally different trans and it was garbage in the governor. With your other low rpm shifting thing, I wonder if thats not the problem.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Thank you Brown Muscle and Gadget. I'm going to have a look into it this weekend.
    Might be time for a set of wide ratio gears and a little higher stall converter along with a rebuild.

Definitely some junk in there somewhere.

I lost first in my 88 for about a week. It was cold AF and I guess condensation froze it up. I did not have any access to first, manual, downshift, nada. First came back after a long highway run (two hours) and lived happily ever after for the next 12 years (until 1-2 started to slip).

Do not do a trans flush.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

easy enough to remove and inspect the governor. Just pull the tailshaft and its under there. If I remember right the actual working part just unscrews from the part that mounts it to the tailshaft. Not much in there, spring and a piston basically. Make sure its not packed up with trash.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

You can see some of the governor in this thread:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post775133
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Thank you David.
    Today I put some Seafoam for transmissions in, hoping to free up any sticky valves. I drove it around for 33 miles in neighborhood conditions. I manually shifted from 1-2 many times during this outing. I found an open stretch of road and laid it into it a couple of times. Once manually shifting from 1st to 2nd and also in D and letting it shift by itself. Each time in 1st gear it laid 2 patches of rubber down about 3 feet long and chirped second. I'm just going to drive it like it is and prepare for a rainy day and get a performance transmission or parts when time calls.
    On a side note, on the back road I got to watch a 70's Challenger get it on thru the gears, It was a built beast and defitinely a big block. The tires got skinny when he took off and he wound it up in each gear. Sad though, I think it was an automatic.