09 P71 trans issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

09 P71 trans issue

Ever since I’ve had this car I’ve noticed above half throttle the 1-2 shift will hang up, for the lack of a better explanation. 2-3 is always crisp but 3-4 is a little soft. Now today after getting off the interstate I stopped at a red light. After it turned green I gave it some gas and it was fine until it went to shift 1-2 it sort of hung up, the rpms stayed the same but it wasn’t accelerating but not freewheeling. Then it caught 2nd and kept going no issue. It hasn’t happened since then. I don’t think it’s the clutch pack since it doesn’t slip, I’m thinking valve body. What do you guys think?

Also I checked manual 1st and 2nd, both were fine and had engine breaking. Manual second seemed sluggish on takeoff, not like it’s bogging but it didn’t want to accelerate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 valve body with sticking solenoids. Might be the ones above the valve body in the case, but still, valve body related. Might also be a sticking shift solenoid.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The more I read about it the more I’m convinced it’s the 1-2 shift valve. It would make sense that it’s leaking causing a delayed shift and it would be worse when the fluid is warm and less viscous.

I know these newer transmissions already have a lot of what the j mod is but is it worth it to say get a tough plate and drill the holes to j mod spec? Or just get a rebuilt valve body?

Comment

Accumulator pistons are the other common achiles heel in these transmission. seals failing, springs breaking. Sonnax seems to be the goto for better replacements. Lookup 88grandmarq posts on the other site, he's into transmissions and theres little nuggets of info spread across the way too many transmission threads over there.

Comment

There was something about an updated 1-2 accumulator on early versions, but by 09 that was fixed. Still might have failed.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I tried calling his business yesterday but they were on lunch and I had to get back to school. I think I’m going to pull this valve body, swap in a tough plate drilled to j mod spec, new accumulator pistons and springs on standby. Anything else I should get?

Comment

Working...
            X