Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1990 Country Squire bought for 390 dollars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not too bad at all. Gotta do the best you can with what you have available. I say it looks better than I expected.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

News incoming!

First of all, the CV has now a working Airco. Sounds pretty cool. Pun intended.
      I went to see the car on Sunday, with a new battery, and a 2-gallon can of fuel... and took the car for the first ride outside the garage. Just to the other side of the road, where a car wash is. Here are a few photos right after getting it cleaned:

It already started to look better, but the paint was quite matte, not gloss. So I left it to dry, and returned on Monday, with a lot of rags and liquid, black car wax. The first photo shows the wax applied, the second - polished.

I also decided to do something with the missing crosshair. Got an MGM spare, without the lower stand, and wired it to the understructure of the beak. Tom and Pete have already prepared a nice set of hood and side ornaments, but it will take some time before they arrive, and I don't want anyone to think that the car is abandoned, or used as a parts one, so they can take something out of it.

Then we went to examine the underside of the car. Here is the reason why there is another half a litre ATF missing. Could anyone point me out to the particular part that has to be replaced to prevent the leak?

And the underside itself. It's not _that_ bad in general. There are a few dents, but it was soaked well in a rust-preventing mastics, so now it needs just to be reinforced a bit in the weak spots, and then re-coated again. But the point is, to drive to the tinsmith, one has to register the car. To do it, it has to have a complete, hole-less exhaust... so we will start with rebuilding the exhaust, and then the tinsmith will have to dismantle it. Sounds crazy... but hauling the car from the garage to the tinsmith and back costs more than dismantling the exhaust...

The wheel arcs... is this silver belt over the arc original? It looks like it was made out of aluminium wire...

The next visit is on Friday. I will install the roof rack, and put some US plates. The car should not be left on the original plates (as these were unregistered), but having it standing there without any plates is asking for a problem. So I got a nice, matching set from Montana. Never been there... maybe I should go there, someday? Who knows.

BTW: does anyone remember the size of the screws used to install the rack? Would appreciate help, all the hardware stores are only working online, so I have to order screws in advance...

Comment

Montana has got to be just about the farthest thing from Poland, but entirely appropriate on your wagon. They call it the Big Sky Country. A vast, untamed frontier of endless plains and Rocky Mountains. There were long stretches when I last drove through where the only man-made object in sight was the road we were traveling on. For many years they didn't have a speed limit. If you ever were to visit, you'd probably want to see Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks. The whole American West is worth seeing, though. Experiencing it can explain quite a lot about our national character.

I have the same leak on my trans. Don't know what the part's called, but I'm curious to find out. Doesn't seem like it would be a very difficult repair.

That black paint seems to shine up nicely. Especially on a large car like yours. If it's single stage it might respond well to a little compound and polish.
        1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

Originally posted by bnw View Post
          Could anyone point me out to the particular part that has to be replaced to prevent the leak?
          Tail shaft / output shaft seal, you might even find one locally. AOD and C4 trans both use the same part IIRC. Probably even T5 and the later electronic versions of the AOD.
          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
          1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

I second the tail shaft seal. Also called output shaft seal or extension housing seal. Grab the yoke and shake it up and down. A little movement is okay. A lot of movement means the bushing is bad and/or the yoke is worn. The bushing requires the tail shaft be removed to replace it. If it feels pretty tight, I'd try the seal only first. Seals are cheap and relatively easy to install yourself if you can get the car up in the air.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The wheel arch trim is factory.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                Well. Yes normally. In his case it does not look right. There appears to be no return/flange for the trim be held by.

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lutrova View Post
                  Montana has got to be just about the farthest thing from Poland, but entirely appropriate on your wagon. They call it the Big Sky Country. A vast, untamed frontier of endless plains and Rocky Mountains. There were long stretches when I last drove through where the only man-made object in sight was the road we were traveling on. For many years they didn't have a speed limit. If you ever were to visit, you'd probably want to see Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks. The whole American West is worth seeing, though. Experiencing it can explain quite a lot about our national character.
                  Sounds like a place I could actually like. So far, I have been to NM, TX, and CA. Liked NM very much... but their cars come mostly with a single plate, and I wanted two, to fill both holes. The less are the cops attracted, the better. And there is plenty of them in the area; there is a large hospital, a mall, and an IRS building nearby, and they seem to check if people are masked up. The City Watch is also sniffing at anything that could end up with a 500 PLN fine
                  I was also looking for WV plates, too - because of John Denver - but to no avail. Those MT plates look nice and they will make a fine accent on the CV, and later - on any car awaiting restoration in my shed.

Originally posted by Lutrova View Post
                  I have the same leak on my trans. Don't know what the part's called, but I'm curious to find out. Doesn't seem like it would be a very difficult repair.
                  Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                  Tail shaft / output shaft seal, you might even find one locally. AOD and C4 trans both use the same part IIRC. Probably even T5 and the later electronic versions of the AOD.
                  Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                  I second the tail shaft seal. Also called output shaft seal or extension housing seal. Grab the yoke and shake it up and down. A little movement is okay. A lot of movement means the bushing is bad and/or the yoke is worn. The bushing requires the tail shaft be removed to replace it. If it feels pretty tight, I'd try the seal only first. Seals are cheap and relatively easy to install yourself if you can get the car up in the air.
                  Thank you! There is certainly too much movement. Is that the right part? https://midparts.com.pl/pl/p/AOD-AOD...SZEROKOSC/3471 - this is what the shop found for me, but I am worried that it seems to have mainly 3spd trannies listed...

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                  Well. Yes normally. In his case it does not look right. There appears to be no return/flange for the trim be held by.
                  To me it looks like a hand-made thing resembling the original arch trim. I was certain that it was original before I lifted the car and saw it from a short distance - there are places, where it does not fit the wheel arch very well, and it looks... bruised? I wonder what I can use to make another fake arch, for my MGM.

The mech checked the holes in the roof, they are 6mm ones. I am going to order a pack of 6x20 and 6x30mm Allen bolts, one of them should do the trick. I expect the 30mm ones to be ok... but will see. The other question is the holes for the sunshades. I guess it's something basic, 1.5 or 2mm? Also, I need to figure out what can be placed in the hole that was left by the giant cross. A dragon dildo sounds tempting... but THAT would certainly attract all possible police forces

Comment

Just a few comments to help you .
                    1. Replace the fuel filter. It looks pretty old. It is shown in the 3rd under body picture by the hoist arm. Make sure the new filter comes with new plastic clips. Old one could be reused but do so if only if you have to. Keep the old ones for emergency spares.
                    2. The wheel edge molding in your picture is the stick on aftermarket plastic stuff. Not factory stainless with the inside lip with holes for the attaching screws.
                    3. The center section of your front bumper could use a center molding with plate holder that was made for that spot. Occasionally a new one pops up for sale. The bumper face has to be taken off fro the bumper frame to install it properly.
                    4. Just for Info. Two license plates are required in CA.Many people think it is cool to only display one. Many tickets have been written for just one. There are so many versions of CA plates available. I think TX requires two plates too.
                    In your country do you have to display your country's plates, then below,above or to the side display other plates ? Those other plates can be expired or not registered to your vehicle ? Better be sure before displaying.

Comment

Originally posted by bnw View Post
                      There is certainly too much movement. Is that the right part? https://midparts.com.pl/pl/p/AOD-AOD...SZEROKOSC/3471 - this is what the shop found for me, but I am worried that it seems to have mainly 3spd trannies listed...
                      That looks like the bushing mentioned here. If it's true that there's "too much movement", you'll need that too. Installing it requires you to remove the trans rear housing (tail shaft housing) to press out the bushing.

The seal looks about like this:

It can be removed and installed with just the driveshaft removed.
                      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

yeah... that close up shot (didn't see that) shows definitely non-factory trim.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Time for some news!

Went to the CV twice this week, and spent enough time to get some new things fixed. First, the sunshades are back in place:

I also got rid of the stickers that were placed there. I guess that once in a hearse, Saint Christopher can't really help you any more...
                          The only problem with the sunshades left is that they have no "hook" to keep them in place when folded. I will probably have to search for a sensible replacement.

Re-installing the rack took me a bit more time, but here it is. You can also see the rear Montana plate:

And the front of the car:

Here is a photo of the engine bay - the maroon colour can be easily seen:

And a final photo of the car, as for today. I'd say that a lot has changed since the day it arrived in Kraków!

Comment

I have two tan visor clips from the old 88 CV that will work.

Comment

Something nice arrived last week:

Kudos to Tom (Mainemantom) and Pete (WagonMan) for preparing this gorgeous package! And look how nicely it is packed, there was no chance it gets smashed while travelling from Maine to Lower Poland...
                              Tomorrow is The CV Day. I am going to reinstall some of the emblems. How should I install the crowns - is there a desired height/distance from the doors? Is installing them using the all-weather Scotch 3M double-adhesive tape sensible?

I might also have a better replacement for the rear set. Something like this:

I got a set of these last year, but I am not planning to use it anymore. I will check if this one fits better.

Comment

I am glad the parts arrived in good shape. You could use either 3M Plastic and Emblem adhesive #08061 (my preference) or Scotch /3M Outdoor Mounting tape which is double sided. Either way, make sure the surfaces are very clean. After holding the item in place for a minute or two, put a piece of painters blue tape across the item to hold it in place. I would not disturb it for at least 12 hours.
                                On my 90 CV, my "crowns" are placed as follows: The bottom of the crown is 1 1/2 inch from the bottom of the B pillar. From the side of the B pillar to the center of the crown is 2 inches centered.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2761.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1288996

Comment

Working...
                                X