Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ADTR Coil Over System and what prevents this from working on the older cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADTR Coil Over System and what prevents this from working on the older cars?

Seen this while browsing the site:https://adtr.net/product/ford-crown-...equipped-cars/

Install article:

https://adtr.net/kb/adtr-92-02-coil-...-instructions/

The fronts look like it would work fine. The rears I have a question about the spring perch on the 91 and down cars. The coil over uses a plate with a bolt that slips into the spring cup and then an adapter gets bolted in place to house the coil over. Is this the difference between the 92-98 and 91 to 79 axle tubes?

Curious why the kit would not fit the older cars.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

I have concerns about applying the entire spring load to the OEM shock mount on the front end. The frame pocket is what carries the vehicle load. That mount just provides a pivot for the upper arm and support for dampening loads. Asking it to do all three is a bit to much to ask of it IMO.

Comment

Coilovers mounted on shock locations are used in many coilover kits for classics. I haven't heard anything breaking off ever, but I've seen weld-on reinforcements on some cars. Coilover conversions don't exist for boxes yet so I guess it'd be smart to be a bit cautious.

Those shocks are probably high quality and all but holy shit almost 2 grand for 4 springs and shocks and a couple hunks of steel? The shocks aren't even 2-way adjustable.
      Trying to get a panther to handle real well is kinda dumb, let alone a box. But if you're hell bent on taking a fridge on a road course, maybe 2k isn't that steep. I don't know how those spring rates relate to stock, but ride sure ain't going to be as nice.

I just want a rear sway bar and see how it goes from there...
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Chris answered my comment on FB saying something about the control arms they are using for the mod are only stated to work with 92-02, so they are listed as such. So pretty much nothing is preventing them from being used on boxes.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The mount will not shear off or anything... what could happen... because there is so little surface area to support the load, It will deform through it over time. Basically a 1.5" dia with a .860" hole in it. That's only 2.25sqin of surface area for the weight of the entire front of the car. The material there is about .200", I think. You'd need about 24 tons to punch right through.

I mean kudos for the ingenuity, but a proper upper mount needs to have it in double shear and the frame pocket to take the load. Use the shock hole to attach that and draw it up to the spring pocket.

Here are gbody "coilovers" using the spring pocket. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/QA1-1...ers,38088.html

Comment

Would there even be an advantage to a coilover in the front? The stock system already has the shock inside the coil spring. Thats not even considering the structure problems Jeff mentioned, which I fully agree with.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Interesting... Ride height adjustment would be the main benefit, rebound adjustment as well. to be honest im not sure it's worth it. Just get different spring rates/spring heights and fully adjustable shocks. more guess work though
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I hear all concerns.

So one believes the spring perch in the rear are identical between the 91 and 92+ cars?
                ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I don't see why they wouldn't be- my 94 rear fit my 82 springs exactly the same way. I'm not convinced having a shorter spring with less coils, and an adjustable spacer would have the same ride quality as a longer one with more coils
                  -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I figured out what the difference is on the rear axles... The early perch doesn't have a hole in the middle for the mounting bolts required for the adjustable perch. You would have to drill the perch and possibly slot the side to get the nut in to fasten the adjustable perch to the stock perch.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The upper perch on later cars also is designed to accomodate the air springs. Big hole up there for the solenoid, and its generally a different shape so it can work with either a coil spring or the basically flat-topped air spring. Thats why I gave up on the idea of fitting 90s air suspension to my Towncar. It wasn't going to happen without either a frame swap or at least cutting those upper pockets out and i was not in any way motivated to do that.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Copy that.

I was not fond of having to cut into the front spring upper mounts already. Kinda irreversible.

I was originally tempted but too much does not fit the older panthers.
                        ~David~

Comment

Working...
                        X