Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parasitic battery drain/help me play Perry Mason.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parasitic battery drain/help me play Perry Mason.....

Ok on my '86 Tudor GM 5.0 Several months ago I put in a new battery, all was good for several months. Then all of a sudden I come out one day and DEAD........I mean not even the 'ol click-click-click! Ok call AAA and get a boost car starts immediately, I let her run for about one hour....shut her down....come back the next day starts right up. Then I leave the car for one week..come back...you guessed it....DEAD battery. Call AAA again, they come, boost car, starts right up....run for one hour, shut down...come back the next day starts right up....wait three more days...starts right up. Then she sits again for about a week and a half...you guessed it DEAD. Ok so this has happened four times. I assume I have a parasitic drain someplace, but where to look?....the interior lights were never left on, there is no bulbs under the hood or trunk, I removed the glove box bulb. I know the ALT works because I see the headlamps get brighter when I feed gas. My bud told me to remove the negative battery cable then come back days later. Can anyone explain why he said I should do that? This is battery drain 101 for dummies. What could be draining the battery???
    Last edited by Toploader; 03-18-2021, 01:02 AM.

An hour of the car running, especially at idle, is likely not sufficient to fully charge the battery.

With the key off, Put a multimeter between the battery negative and the disconnected negative terminal. Should be less than 100 milliamps. If more, you can pull a fuse to isolate the problem circuit. I'd start with the the radio circuit.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I have seen this twice with box body cars. The rear defroster switch goes bad and keeps the defroster on and kills the battery, even with the key in the off position. WagonMan
      89 Colony Park
      90 Colony Park
      70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Radio, computer, etc are always there so unlikely to be causing new problems. Alternator can develop an internal short circuit.

I had the same problem a couple days ago: my fairly new battery had a bad cell, it would charge to 13.2 volts but the tiniest draw would almost instantly bring it down below 10. It was still under the full warranty so I got a new one for free.

My initial thought was that the battery was being drained by something, but it was an internal failure.

If it's nothing obvious like that, get a good old fashioned test light, and a hose clamp. Pull the negative cable off the battery, clamp the pointy end of the light to the battery terminal, and clip the alligator clip to ground. Then pull fuses one by one and see if the light goes out. If not, start removing wires from the starter solenoid. There will probably be a few (radio, computer) that glow dim but any draw big enough to drain the battery overnight will be bright enough to see clearly from the driver's seat as you pull the fuses.

Comment

+1 alternator can pull less than 1 amp when the car is off in certain failure modes. This is why I bought the clamp meter I have, just to diagnose this specific issue. I've seen 3 or 4 alternators die like this so far between my own cars (1) and people from church and friends (the rest). I prefer the inductive sensing of a clamp meter rather than disconnecting the charge cable from the alternator and putting a current meter across the gap.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thank you gents...for the time being I pulled the neg cable off of the battery as I will not need t move the car for one more week....if I put the cable back on and the battery is dead...well that tells me battery is n/g...if not I will hook up meters a suggested here. Also would never even thought about the rear def grid switch, thanks!

Comment

I'm with you on the clamp meter, Sly, but for those who don't have one, a test light (or a spare socket, bulb, and a bit of wire) is usually easy to find in the spare parts bin or the cheap auto parts shelf; and if you're working alone, it's easy to set up so you can see it between the cowl and the hood while you're in the driver's seat pulling fuses.
              But if it's a job you have to do twice, or you don't want to reset all the radio presets and clock and stuff...the clamp meter is better.
              I avoid a "proper" inline amp meter as most of them blow fuses above a few amps; bump the headlight switch or turn the key a smidgen too far or forget that the stereo is on, and the meter fuse (or the meter itself) lets the smoke out.

Comment

Ditto on avoiding amp meters because blowing the fuse in them.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I am happy with this slightly expensive clamp meter. Klein CL800. It is like the swiss army knife of multimiters. It has AC/DC inductive amp readings, (many are only AC) DC down to 10Mma. It also has the LowZ volt function which can be really helpful these days when ringing out household wiring. Plus many other features. I used the capacitance function to diagnose my air compressor starting issue. Even a NC volt sensor. By shopping around you can sometimes find slightly better deals than this. Caution... It is made in China.

https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Ranging-...6249831&sr=8-6
                  Last edited by jaywish; 03-20-2021, 10:31 AM.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

The only thing that I don't like about this meter, other than the China thing, is the leads plug into to bottom of the unit. I prefer the top side sockets with 90deg connectors but it is only a minor annoyance.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

That's why I like my Extech MA220. Not available on Amazon right now (got mine at Frys actually). Can't find it any more since it's been discontinued. It's also made in China, but it works.

Comment

This fluke looks nice. On sale for $160 It has low-z Not as nearly as feature rich as the Klein but it does have top sockets.

https://www.tooltopia.com/Fluke-FLU1...ource=hs_email
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

So today went to my buds shop............and my biggest fear came true........absolutely no abnormal battery drain.........waited for over two hours....nothing! Now I have to keep the neg cable off because I know as soon as I hook up the cable, in short order the battery will go stone dead. This shit blows:-(

Comment

Suggestion would be to replace the following. They are getting old.

1. Rear window defroster switch.
                            2. Door switches
                            3. glove box switch

I have had to replace all of those on at least one of the cars. Just replaced the defroster switch last week.

Comment

Tom I never thought of doing this, what the "H" I will see about ordering the three of them.
                              Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                              X