Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace MAP sensor vacum line

Hi everyone.
    Is it possible to replace the vacuum line to the MAP sensor without removing the intake? The line from the intake is dry rotted and collapses. It’s probably the original line. It’s a 1990 Colony Park that is all stock.
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

I don't remember if that one goes all the way under the intake. If it does, there's not much chance of replacing it with out at least lifting the upper intake. May not have to disconnect everything, just lift enough to get under the upper intake, but then you run the risk of breaking the brittle plastic (1/8"?) vac lines.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Thank you VCV. I’m looking into using medical clamps, the old roach clip kind and a mirror to see what I’m doing coming in from the firewall side. The clamps I have are too large and need to get a medium size. I just now thought about using a flexible tool grabber cable that may work to get it off.
      90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
      90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
      91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
      70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

If the MAP sensor line is cracked, there are likely other cracked lines.
        In fact, the MAP sensor line might be fine and the lines from the same vacuum tee might be leaking enough to skew the vacuum reading.

Since so many of the vacuum lines are under the intake, and hard to see (but easy to disturb); and since the upper intake usually comes off pretty easily (especially if you're just moving it slightly to get the vacuum lines, and not removing it from the car, so you can leave the throttle body stuff in place); why not replace all the vacuum lines and then not have to worry about it for another decade or more?

I bet the time and cost of the work won't be a whole lot more than you were planning on already, and it's much, much easier to use your hands and eyes without mirrors and medical clamps.

Comment

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the vac line at the intake connects to a much larger barb than at the MAP. If you got a line to fit the MAP it will be way too small for the intake end.
          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

It's been a little while but I think the vacuum tree under the intake has a small line for the MAP, a larger line to the splitter on the firewall (which feeds cruise, HVAC, etc) and a line or two to the evap and egr?
            Again, once they start cracking and coming apart I figure I'm going to end up doing them all eventually, I'd rather do it once and be done.

Comment

Thanks again VCV and BGW.
              So far the plastic hoses look ok.
              The line coming from the intake is rubber and connects into an adapter fitting that adapts to a smaller hose to the MAP sensor. THANKS AGAIN and I will update.

Comment

They may look ok, and functionally be fine, but one wrong move and they snap easy (which may be part of your concern of not wanting to remove the upper intake). Don't even sneeze on those tiny plastic lines, LOL.

My fix in that case is to insert both ends of broken plastic line into a piece of vac hose with 1/8" ID. If it doesn't break into a million pieces or too close to the end.
                Last edited by VicCrownVic; 03-19-2021, 12:55 PM.
                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

You will never get the old hoses off unless you remove the upper. I had one upper off and it was still a pain in the ass to get the hoses off, ended up cutting them with a razor blade. Your back will thank you. Like others said, it'll give you a chance to replace all the other lines which need to be replaced.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

for the effort involved in trying to not remove 6 bolts, I would say its not worth it. You can get the upper intake off these cars in like 10 minutes.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Guess I'll replace the fuel injectors then.
                      I didn't want to deal with an intake gasket.

Comment

I've reused the upper to lower intake gasket, you'll be fine there.
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

no need to replace the injectors.

and +1 on recycling the gasket. I've re-used them several times. Just be careful and try to not damage it. If it does rip its not very expensive.
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have a set of new rebuilt injectors on the shelf.
                            The car has at least 82,000 miles and thought I might as well do it at the same time.

Comment

well in that case, may as well. No better time to do valve cover gaskets either if they have any leaks
                              before long we'll have you replacing the engine because its only a little bit more work

Comment

Working...
                              X