Fuel Injected 351W ECM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Injected 351W ECM

I managed to get hold of a low mileage fuel injected 351W along with the engine wiring harness. It does not have the ECM, though. Is there a way to determine what the appropriate ECM would be? Does it even matter? Can't get anything from the donor vehicle, it was sent to scrap years ago.
    1978 Ford LTD wagon, 351M
    1979 Mercury Marquis, 351W
    1987 Ford F-250 HD 4x4, 460, 4-speed, reg cab full bed
    2003 Mercury Marauder, 4.6L DOHC, JLT CAI, 4.10 gears, J-mod, custom tune

I'd imagine an 86-93 HO 302 ECM would work has the proper firing order just your preference for speed density vs mass air flow.

Comment

what are you putting it in? If this came from a truck, is using the truck harness, and is going in a truck, you want a truck ECM. If you're putting it in a Panther, use the Panther harness and a tuned ECM. Trucks are batch fire and the stuff just isn't in the right spot, the car harness will actually fit properly. Can't use a truck harness with a car ECM though, sequential vs batch fire injection so the connector pinout is different.

Doubt any 5.0 ECM is going to feed a 351 exactly right but it would be in the neighborhood at least. Would want to be tuned for more fuel flow to go with the extra air flow.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, this thing came out of an Econoline. Pretty obvious from the oil filler. And thanks for the info. Supposing I ditched the OEM harness completely, would I be able to use a harness from one of the performance aftermarket fuel injection conversion kits?

Comment

Take a look at the Holley Terminator X Ford MPFI kit, supposedly plug and play.
          What intake do you have? Is it the truck intake with the twin throttle bodies or does a van have something else?
          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
          1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Well, it doesn't have the plenum (forgot to grab it when hauling off the engine) and it's the twin barrel truck intake. But, I was starting to think I might go with an aftermarket intake and throttle body with 24# injectors (considering a Holley Hi-Ram kit with 95mm side throttle body) along with a mildly aggressive cam with roller lifters. I also took a look at the Holley Terminator X kits, and they look perfect, thanks for suggesting.

Comment

After further thought, maybe not that Holley Hi-Ram. A 95mm throttle body might be a little excessive for what I'm doing with the motor.

Comment

There are aftermarket options but I'll be honest and tell you I don't know a ton about them. I'm sure someone makes a suitable harness that doesn't cost a fortune. There are some open source EFI systems out there now which cost a lot less and have more options than the big names.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, I've seen the DIY kits, but I'm absolute rubbish with soldering. I'd rather just spend the coin on a full kit with all the pieces ready to go.

Comment

Working...
                  X