Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 Marquis fuel pumps

Looking at a 83 Marquis said it had throttle body but put a carb on it
    Are 83 cars mechanical fuel pump on block or in tank?
    Confusing I know ,it’s long drive trying to guage effort.
    Thanks

Mine is in the tank. 1983 302 TBI MGM However many years ago I had a Lincoln that was switched over to a Carb. from TBI. Previous owner had a mechanic pump mounted outside the tank. If I remember it was due to the pressure difference. I actually have that mechanical pump and regulator listed on Ebay right now. It is from the early 90s.
    I switched the car back to TBI and replaced the fuel pump in the tank.

Comment

Some of the CFI cars had two fuel pumps. Low pressure in tank and high pressure on the frame rail. In theory, the carb can run on the low pressure pump if so equipped.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

2 pumps ?
        Ok never worked on anything like that is it reliable once it’s changed over to a carb
        Owner said pump is bad

Comment

I'm pretty sure my '85 CFI 302 just has the pump in the tank.

I'd wager a carb 302 is reliable; there's barely anything that can fail. It'll run unless the carb is junk and distributor and fuel pump craps out But that's about it.
          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
          1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

very much depends what they did for the pump. I think originally the 83 was single in-tank, but its too much pressure for a carb. There are a couple ways to make it work but without seeing it or asking what they did its hard to say. I would ask the seller if he knows.

Engine is fine, the rest of it depends very much on how it was done. I've seen neat carb conversions, and I've seen ones that were a complete hackjob.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I remember searching junkyards for a specific high pressure line that the previous owner cut. Hack job, yes all because the guy would not spend to buy the factory pump.

Comment

I'm talking literally chop hunks of wire out and abandon parts of the EFI system in place. It all comes out without much fuss, leaving something far less messy behind.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Its 400 miles away
                  Not sure about if it’s worth it
                  Rust free,were there carb 5.0 cars in 83?
                  Just retrofit to carb pump?

Comment

Because you have specified it has a 5.0, it is worth clarifying that you're talking about a Grand Marquis. This might seem like I'm being pedantic but I promise I'm not: in 1983 Ford moved the Marquis name onto the Fox platform. 1983 Marquis and 1983 Grand Marquis both exist, and aren't the same car.

A Fox platform Marquis with CFI, as I understand it, has the 2-pump system. Both are electric. One is in the tank and is a "lift pump" only, which basically means it primes the second pump. The second pump, outside the tank, is high pressure for the EFI system. But, I'm not even sure if in 1983 the Marquis could have the 5.0, or if it did, that it had CFI...however, that doesn't seem to be the car we're talking about. But if your seller called it a "Marquis" and you haven't seen photos, you should double check that you're talking about the right car lol.

A Panther platform Grand Marquis with EEC-III CFI, in 1983 at least, has one pump, located in the tank, which provides high pressure for the EFI system. Unless you use some sort of return-style regulator to get the pressure down to carb-suitable levels, that pump is not going to work well with a carb. The timing cover and possibly the fuel pump eccentric (my personal observation) on the camshaft are not acceptable for retrofitting a mechanical pump, so you have to open the timing cover to swap it properly.

There were factory-built 5.0 carb Panther cars in 1983, but only in Canada. The factory setup for those cars is that there is a mechanical pump mounted to the engine, which sucks (siphons) the gas out of the tank. In the tank, there is a pickup tube with a screen/filter on the end, no pump. The factory carb in 1983 for a 5.0 Panther was a Motorcraft 2150.

Given the distance and your uncertainty about this car, I'll offer the following:
                    - It is probably not super hard to make this thing work properly, but it might require finding some hard-to-find parts, and you or a friend would need to be good with carbs.
                    - It is probably best to trailer this one home because it sounds like it has been monkeyed with in ways that might make it unreliable as it sits now.
                    - When bringing an unfamiliar car home, always assume literally everything will go wrong, and plan accordingly.
                    Last edited by kishy; 03-29-2021, 11:32 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
                    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                    | 88 TC | 91 GM
                    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
                    X