Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tbear853 View Post
    31 years
    Might b be reading that guy coming up behind you ... or the guy in the other lane going the other way. I've never noticed them being off when I was the sole target. Doppler Speed Radar can only track the strongest signal generator so for enforcement, it's absolutely imperative that the operator be paying attention and making sound speed judgements independent of the radar that agree. A 40 mph smart car near the unit can see a 50 mph reading which is in reality that 50 mph Kenworth an eighth mile behind.
    A lot of these are county locations entering small towns, I'm the only vehicle more often than not. (I cover ~8000 square mile service area, on the road everyday, so I come across my fair share of roadside radars and little towns.) I used to use them as a secondary speedo check as they always agreed with GPS, but what I'm seeing, I'm suspcious of ulterior motives behind them (that being the big push to post slower speed limits), and if your data shows lots of speeders, the town council agenda gets pushed further along. Unlike the U.S. prevailing road speed is not something that is used around here, and what I am seeing is significant increase in bullshit speedlimit drops--much like the stereotypical U.S. speed trap towns, where the speed limit is 50 or 55mph and for no good reason other than the pavement changed color, the mayor farted, or somebody howled at the moon it drops to 30mph for 100 yards, and then pops back up. And we also have photo radar getting expanded since that shit got green lighted by the anti-car politicos that seem to dominate local positions. My own councellor pretty much blows me off anytime I bring up anything illogical I see with regards to these limit drops in my area.

Alex.

Comment

un-manned speed cameras are bullshit. Have the same feeling about red light cams.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
        A lot of these are county locations entering small towns ... etc ...

Alex.
        Well, there was that day in west Texas I was traveling along at the posted limit 65 east of Lubbock, then we came to Guthrie, slowed at the 45 ... or maybe it was a 35 sign, then I got stopped shortly. I was really surprised, he started explaining his radar but I stopped him by saying I teach radar, believed it was right, but that I never saw a 25 sign. He warned me, let me go, then I circled back to look for a sign, saw the 25 sign was bent over like it had been hit so I pulled up to where he was and mentioned it. Then I headed on east.
        No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
          ... (I cover ~8000 square mile service area, on the road everyday...
          Correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t 8,000sq. mi. be like patrolling all of North and South America and about 3/4 of Russia? Daily? Lol
          '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Originally posted by sick88tbird View Post
            Correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t 8,000sq. mi. be like patrolling all of North and South America and about 3/4 of Russia? Daily? Lol
            Square root of 8,000 is a hair over 89.44, so 89.44 x 89.44 is 7,999.5136. That's still a pretty big county there ... but I understand "covering" as my county is only 600 odd square miles. Some shifts I saw only a very small narrow part of it, some shifts I felt like I had visited it all (but of course ... I hadn't ). Some shifts, I'd drive 120 miles within my county, and I do recall some where I ran calls from end to end and racked up 400 miles. Was nights we'd get a fight call in the north west corner, get there, assist, etc, then get a call way down in the south east corner and get there only to find it was near nothing, then get called back to the last call as things heated up again, then there was 100 mile lap of Interstate to check at least twice per shift if possible, plus any other calls. Coffee, don't forget coffee.

Comment

I'm not 100% sure about your freedom units but a square of 100x100 miles would be 10 000 sq. miles. Last time I checked, Russia is a bit bigger than that, can't confirm for NA/SA, haven't been there.
              1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
              1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Lol, that was a pretty epic brain fart I had there! What a moron! Lol, thanks for setting me straight boys! Next time I try to make a funny, I’ll double check my maths 🧐
                '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Originally posted by tbear853 View Post
                  Square root of 8,000 is a hair over 89.44, so 89.44 x 89.44 is 7,999.5136. That's still a pretty big county there ... but I understand "covering" as my county is only 600 odd square miles. Some shifts I saw only a very small narrow part of it, some shifts I felt like I had visited it all (but of course ... I hadn't ). Some shifts, I'd drive 120 miles within my county, and I do recall some where I ran calls from end to end and racked up 400 miles. Was nights we'd get a fight call in the north west corner, get there, assist, etc, then get a call way down in the south east corner and get there only to find it was near nothing, then get called back to the last call as things heated up again, then there was 100 mile lap of Interstate to check at least twice per shift if possible, plus any other calls. Coffee, don't forget coffee.
                  Coffee and tunes especially on graveyard shift. Dialed in the old regency scanner on one of the radio stations. With some cars, we brought in a factory radio and had a auto tech install it. Kept the volume low of course. No way could you do that now.

Comment

Lol, that was a pretty epic brain fart I had there! What a moron! Lol, thanks for setting me straight boys! Next time I try to make a funny, I’ll double check my maths ��
                    It was funny enough I knew it was a joke!

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                      Coffee and tunes especially on graveyard shift. Dialed in the old regency scanner on one of the radio stations. With some cars, we brought in a factory radio and had a auto tech install it. Kept the volume low of course. No way could you do that now.
                      Dispatch called me on my cell one night to tell me the Div Cmndr was visiting the radio room and enjoyed my back ground tunes.

Comment

...Some shifts, I'd drive 120 miles within my county, and I do recall some where I ran calls from end to end and racked up 400 miles.

Did this alot.
                        I worked in a municipality that was 118 sq. miles. I was assigned a 78 LTD with the 460 PI. Most shifts I would run about 4 hours and would have to refuel, then do it again at the end of the shift. (That car came with a factory AM / FM radio).

Comment

What were the differences between the 78 PI 460 and regular version?
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Slip of the units. ~8000 sq km. Hazzards of driving mixed old and new vehicles.
                            I don't drive the entire area in one day, but I can be heading anywhere in the area on any given day. (and before some smartass pipes up, no, the lakes are not part of it. =-) )
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                              What were the differences between the 78 PI 460 and regular version?

so far as I know the difference was you could get a 460 in a PI model. The civi models didn't have that engine as an option. friend of mine had a 78 LTD II cop car with the 460. Any time he needed stuff they would argue about it not existing until he said "police car", then suddenly it existed.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

And those little differences are why I like police package cars. What about the LTD I, couldn't you get a 460 in those too? I know Lincolns could be optioned with them..
                                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                                X