No announcement yet.

Battery hooked backwards, what now?! ;(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the one on my Continental is bad, so I'm somewhat more mindful of them.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Here's an 88 EVTM:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

When my NSS went bad, i was able to start it in neutral but not park. worth a shot
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Ok, sofar I have tried to get 12v to red/lt blue for starter relay, nothing. I replaced it with a good set of what re from a newer 91 CV from the u-pull yard and no change, still no 12v going to the red/lt blue wire. I traced the wires to either a inline fuse or a y junction and that's where I replaced the red/lt blue wire at. One leads to the NSS and one further into the harness as the diagram also shows. I've replaced the ignition switch, no change. Should I go snag a NSS from the u-pull yard and see if that works? Could I also just jump a pin to test if it fires and to show me if the NSS is bad?? So far the wiring seems good (after changing the alternator wiring harness, was not charging since it blew the inline fuse to the black/orange alternator wiring).

Comment

As mentioned, try start in neutral. Sometimes park connection in the NSS dies. You can also disconnect the NSS and jump the start in and start out pins (don't know which ones they are) and see. You can check the power to the connector as you should have 12V on the start in line when the key is in the start position.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to add no start in neutral either. I will jump the wire and see if it changes. Wasn't sure if ide mess anything else up if I unplugged and jumped the wire over. I'll look for 12v to the wire as well when I go to test the NSS of that's the problem of not.

Comment

Yeah, check for voltage at the NSS. If voltage is there, the NSS is probably bad. Put in park and neutral and if no connection through it, replace NSS and you should be good.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

find the harness to the trans, should be hanging roughly middle of the firewall behind the engine. White/pink is the wire from the key switch, red/blue is out to the relay. Check for +12v at the white/pink when trying to crank it. If you have voltage there, jump white/pink to red/blue and see if it goes. If it does, the NSS or the harness to it is dicked.

The Y split in the red/blue is where one side goes to power the ignition module when cranking.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thank you EVERYONE for your help and input. I have figured it out with all the help. From the engine being pulled the NSS plug was barely plugged in (trans was hanging a little after engine was pulled). I seated it fully on the NSS and BOOM fires from the key right away. So all I really had to fix was my alternator wiring from the battery being hooked up backwards and it works as it should Would have never checked there if it wasn't for everyone. I appreciate you all so damn much

Comment

Awesome! Sometimes it take a lot of work to find an easy fix
                      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Nice. love it when it's a free fix.

Comment

Working...
                        X