AOD (FIOD) Teardown Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Precision Transmission is a shop in Texas and I've taken to watching some of the teardown videos they produce.
    I've seen AODE and 4R70W previously, but just recently a video of the FIOD (an early name of the AOD that some old schoolers use when talking about it) was posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55YAQ6ZW1_Q

Worth a watch because it's a post mortem on some things the trans builder may have overlooked to cause this unit to never work properly. I intend to eventually rebuild (or at least pull apart) an AOD and this sort of demonstration is super useful.

Spoilers (useful in case the video disappears): poor gasket alignment, overtorqued valve body contributed to valves being unable to operate, improper installation technique caused seals to tear

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

I find their videos very cool to watch. No idea how I even got into watching them but its really neat to see a trans go from complete to a pile of parts in 20 minutes with detailed explanations of what the parts do and why they failed along the way.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

but just recently a video of the FIOD (an early name of the AOD that some old schoolers use when talking about it)
      Thanks for the heads up, that videos been in my recommended since it came out, I've been ignoring it cause 'FIOD', learnt what an fiod is also today.

Comment

Just watched the whole thing... the guy really knows his stuff! He's just casually throwing things in a pile, but he must know exactly where each piece goes! Cool to watch, thanks for posting!
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Another AOD video from the same guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnidmkQ2-ds
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh yeah, been subscribed to their channel for awhile now. Didn't see this video come up though, thanks for the heads up.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

That is damn impressive! Wonder where his shop is?
              1987 CV LX 5.0

Comment

Tey-haas, not sure where exactly though.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                  Tey-haas, not sure where exactly though.
                  He’s in Amarillo. I’m hoping to take my 85 down to him next year. I want to get it rebuilt due to age and because who knows how much longer parts/techs with knowledge to build them will be around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

thats a sad truth, the expertise is going away for a lot of this stuff. Lot of really bad trans shops out there too, I've ridden in some cars with rebuilt AODs that were horrible.

Comment

Going away? It's been away for awhile lol. Even when I was a kid my dad always said "once they're rebuilt, they're never the same." I believed it up until I met a buddy of mine and he showed me several of his cars with rebuilt transmissions. If never told me they were rebuilt, I'd never know. His recommended trans shop is a good 1.5 hours from us but not a big deal considering how much money is involved and just how wrong a trans can be when fubbed up.

Comment

there are still a few people around who know things, but less and less all the time

I've got two vehicles with trans rebuilt by someone who knew what they were doing and they work fine but I know what your dad meant by not being the same. A bad rebuild job shifts poorly and doesn't last. In my mind when a thing is rebuilt it should be as good as it was when brand new, or its not fixed but that doesn't quite seem to be the case with a lot of things.

Comment

And harder & harder to find..

Exactly. I believe the transmission in my Town Car was rebuilt by the same place I had Ashley's rebuilt at. It already had the updated TV bushing on it. Both transmissions shifted like new.

Now, I've witnessed two of my dad's vehicles in which he had the transmissions rebuilt, a 1990 Mark VII and 1998 Camaro Z28. The Lincoln was always peculiar about how you shifted into gear, maybe it was just the linkage. It was also funny about going back into OD. The Camaro? Oh jeez, that thing is no better than when it went in. Dad had it rebuilt at Gordon Chevrolet in Wayne(?) MI. He's been back and forth with them many times. At one point, they actually told him they didn't think he'd keep the car, that most people sell them once the transmission was rebuilt. Like, wow, what an endorsement of their workmanship..

Comment

Even good shops are a roll of the dice. Had my th350 done by a local, well recommed and regarded shop. Absolute crap. And the run-around of we didn't notice anything wrong... Until they went on a test drive with me driving to demonstrate where their quality build was no fucking good (when I say drive it like you stole it, I mean it. Thats how I drive it, I was upfront I abuse my transmission between drag racing it and towing with it... Had that trans gone through a few years later via my mechanic, apparently this highly recommended shop ain't nothing but a bunch of hacks that had mismatched parts, warped the valve body and geneally just an expensive POS.

Comment

Yikes.. That's both why I like watching Richard's tear-down videos and why I prefer stick shift transmissions. I think most of the fuck ups in autos comes from people not using the right valvebody gaskets and putting those checkballs in the right place, perhaps. Richard makes them look simple, just a pile of steel discs, clutches, some seals, a valve body and some gaskets...

Comment

Working...
                              X