Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lopo cam and ECU with heads + intake + headers? Is this doable, or disaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post

No.

There is nothing that the stock ecu can compensate for. And you're not utilizing the heads or intake to even a fraction of their potential. MAF swap it, 24lb injectors (at least) A tune, and a nice Extreme energy or trickflow cam will be a nice set up. Or go with an aftermarket fuel injection system if you don't fancy the MAF mustang ecu. Or carb it. But the cam is useless.
    Ended up ordering a Megasquirt, a Lunati cam similar to the specs that Gaget73 is running in his H.O. a new timing set + lifters and some other goodies. May be about to get some 30lb injectors as well. That way I can ditch the explorer injectors I was going to use.

I realize I wouldn't be using any of the parts to their full potential with my initial question, I just wanted to know if it would work without running mad lean and breaking stuff.

I will need a wideband O2 sensor to fully take advantage of the Megasquirt of course. But it can run on the stock narrow band(s). I have a guy that will be able to get me in for a dyno tune after it's all put together.

The Megasquirt does keep me speed density, but like I said, it'll get a dyno tune, and I'll be paying the money for that. But I should be able to get it running and driveable before that.
    If I purchase tuner studio it does have a "self learning" feature like the Holley Terminator X does.

However, I'll be converting a Miata I have to speed density when I eventually get the plug n play ECU I want for it, and it's one that works with Tuner Studio as well. So it made sense to go with that option, after I did some heavy research the past week.

Comment

properly tuned, there is really nothing wrong with speed-density. The specific ailment most of us here have is that it isn't tuned for what we need and most of the tuners that do EEC-IV don't mess with SD stuff. Mustangs, which are the only Ford anyone knows about, existed in speed-density form for 3 years and most of those were probably converted a long time ago so thats all anyone knows.

MS and other non-OEM solutions are probably the sensible way to go anymore. All of the Ford shit is 25+ years old at this point and the prices are getting stupid. The electronics are ailing and the hardware itself has the limits of 1980s tech. When you could buy the ECM for 50 bucks and splice in a couple wires this was a no-brainer but now when a good used ECM is 200+ its not such an appealing thing.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        properly tuned, there is really nothing wrong with speed-density. The specific ailment most of us here have is that it isn't tuned for what we need and most of the tuners that do EEC-IV don't mess with SD stuff. Mustangs, which are the only Ford anyone knows about, existed in speed-density form for 3 years and most of those were probably converted a long time ago so thats all anyone knows.

MS and other non-OEM solutions are probably the sensible way to go anymore. All of the Ford shit is 25+ years old at this point and the prices are getting stupid. The electronics are ailing and the hardware itself has the limits of 1980s tech. When you could buy the ECM for 50 bucks and splice in a couple wires this was a no-brainer but now when a good used ECM is 200+ its not such an appealing thing.
        Honestly, I had first looked at the Quarterhorse as an option a couple months ago. But the price of an H.O. ECU and then a Quarterhorse on top of that was just not worth it to me for the option of buying something brand new with a warranty.
        If I ever end up going with a different ECU somewhere down the line I'll spend the money on a Pro M. I just didn't want to spend more on the ECU alone than what I have in every other part on the car, plus the initial purchase of the car itself at this point. My wiring harness hasn't been messed with besides the alternator, which I upgraded to a 3g now, so it's of no concern, and the salt and pepper shakers seem to not be giving any problems right now. So, that's the main reason I opted for the Megasquirt, as it doesn't come with a new harness.

Comment

When I pulled my ECM to install the Quarterhorse I found the caps were leaking and dumping corrosive crap on the board, so I certainly get the appeal of "new, with warranty" rather than dealing with stuff that will be increasingly prone to failure from age.

still think it would be an easier sell if it was cheap, but its just not anymore. Maybe I should delve into an MS system. Would be interesting to see what, if anything, could be gotten out of a dead stock high mileage engine. If I did that on the Mark VII though, it would have to run the cruise control and have proper output to the tripminder or its a no-go. Towncar doesn't have digital dash or integrated cruise.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

When I pulled my ECM to install the Quarterhorse I found the caps were leaking and dumping corrosive crap on the board, so I certainly get the appeal of "new, with warranty" rather than dealing with stuff that will be increasingly prone to failure from age.

still think it would be an easier sell if it was cheap, but its just not anymore. Maybe I should delve into an MS system. Would be interesting to see what, if anything, could be gotten out of a dead stock high mileage engine. If I did that on the Mark VII though, it would have to run the cruise control and have proper output to the tripminder or its a no-go. Towncar doesn't have digital dash or integrated cruise.
            Thant's what I'm thinking. That way all the guts of the ECU are new and have a warranty and support for them. I'd love a new wiring harness, but mine's in good shape, so I can't be too upset this time around.

Comment

someone probably sells a universal fit harness for this kind of thing, but thats a bit like buying one size fits all underwear. Nothing is exactly where you want it to be.

Comment

someone probably sells a universal fit harness for this kind of thing, but thats a bit like buying one size fits all underwear. Nothing is exactly where you want it to be.
                Right right. As long as my harness is good and I take care of the salt and pepper shakers then we're golden.

Comment

Working...
                X