Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disabling "Check Air Suspension" message.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disabling "Check Air Suspension" message.

Did a search on this before starting a new thread, and couldn't find the info I was looking for.
    I recently converted my broken factory air suspension to plain old coil springs in my '08 Grand Marquis. After the install, I noticed that the compressor still runs. RELENTLESSLY! So I took it out of there, in order to not have to hear it try and pump up the air ride anymore. Unfortunately, that only traded one annoyance for another. Now the "check air suspension" message pops up in the dash because the air compressor is disconnected. Does anyone know how to disable the message from popping up?

If there's a solution to this, I'd appreciate some information on it. Thanks in advance!

Remove the bulb from the instrument cluster or disconnect pin 11 from the air suspension/variable steering assist module. This is the pinout from a 2003 and should be the same for a 2008 (2003-2011).

Click image for larger version

Name:	2003 Air Suspension and variable steering module pinout.png
Views:	1
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1288858

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      Remove the bulb from the instrument cluster or disconnect pin 11 from the air suspension/variable steering assist module. This is the pinout from a 2003 and should be the same for a 2008 (2003-2011).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56092[/ATTACH]
      Ok, yes. This is the kind of answer I was searching for. Thank you.
      What's the best way to get to the module?

Comment

Unfortunately that won't apply to 2008. 2007+ is all canbus controlled, and its now a "vehicle dynamics module" instead of just an air suspension module. Only the fire supression system has a simple wire to ground to get rid of its warning light.

You will need to turn off the airbag light using forscan and modify the instrument cluster data.
        instrument cluster location A0-08

you will see something like this; 2815 48C0 (two hex blocks of data--they might be anything. I think its two blocks, been a few years since I done anything with it)
        convert the 2nd block to binary 48C0 = 0100 1000 1100 0000

from above;
        0100 1000 1100 0000 is the air suspension bit. Change that to a zero.
        so you end up with;
        0100 1000 1000 0000

now convert back to hex

So in forscan when you write the new block you'll end up with 2815 4880

air suspension light should be off.

And if you want to try an experiment to get the hour meter on your car, I'll need to find that sheet.
        Last edited by GM_Guy; 04-11-2021, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Bugger. I was afraid that might be the case, but all the info I found claimed the module was behind the glove box and same 03-11. Figures the internet is wrong about that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hmmm...
            Came across the online instructions for the same kit I had bought, and it also mentions somewhere around the glove box. Actually, I think it words it as "underneath the dash on the passenger side," or something to that effect. It also mentions some years and models that won't have that option. I took a look underneath, and there's quite a few "modules" that could be considered in the vicinity of the glove box. Guess now I gotta figure out just how much of the dash I'm willing to tear out looking for it...

As far as using the forscan software, I'm not able to. Is this something a dealer could do? My local dealership's service dept. isn't as savvy with that kind of thing, so I'm not gonna hold my breath.
            Last edited by Joe Schmo; 04-11-2021, 05:38 PM.

Comment

There is no airsuspension module ala the older cars, it is replaced with the vehicle dynamics module. It controls the compressor relay, the dump valves, and power steering (if its got the connections to the outside world is via the canbus. Thats it for cabling. Unless these kits have something to mimic an external component, there is nothing on the vdm other than the canbus that talks to the rest of the car.

As for forscan, no, a dealer isn't going to do anything like it. They will only write modules using the ford tools & software that went into the car when it was built-no modifications. If you are able to talk to an actual tech on the side and see if anyone has forscan and will do something on the side you might get somewhere, but a dealer visit will be a waste of time and money.

Forscan is free, all you need to buy is an elm interface to your laptop. I use an OBDLink SX with the vic. You can always inquire locally who might be able to help you out that has forscan. You will need the cluster data first. And figure out what hex number you need to write for your specific car. If you post the vin I might be able to get the as-built data if still available and see what it might be, but as-built data isn't always as it left the factory data.

And the VDM pinout for the 2008;
              Code:
              C2131A   
              PIN   FUNCTION 
              1      Power steering valve solenoid -
              2      Power steering valve solenoid +
              3      nc
              4      nc
              5      ground
              6      Air suspension compressor relay control
              7      air suspension compressor vent
              8      nc
              9      RS CAN -
              10     RS CAN +
              11     BAT
              12     BAT
              13     nc
              14     ground
              15     nc
              16     nc  

C2131B
              1      Air suspension height sensor
              2      Air spring solenoid valve control, right rear
              3      Air spring solenoid valve control, left rear
              4      Air suspension height sensor power feed
              5      Air suspension height sensor signal return
              6      nc
              7      Air suspension on/off signal
              8      nc

Comment

Ok, I'll look into it and get back with ya on that. Thanks!

Comment

Who made your kit, or got a link to their instructions on disabling the light?

Comment

I got the Monroe conversion kit. It was supposed to have come with instructions, but the box had nothing but the parts. The same manual is downloadable from their website in pdf format. Here's my attempt to link it: http://www.monroe.com/downloads/inst...structions.pdf

On a side note, I think I've found the right connector for using the forscan software. Looks like it runs about ~$45. Was reading through the description of the software and seems like the software is free, but in order to make certain types of edits, there's a paid portion of the software as well?

Comment

Yeah, most of the paid editing is related to PATS and programming that could be used to steal cars.
                      Even if you need that, there is a way to get free access to that portion of the software for 2 months (and you can renew that for free if you're not willing to send a few bucks AND you use the extended stuff a lot).

Comment

You will only need the free "registered" version (or have they gone basic and pay only now?) to make the needed changes. Its the instrument cluster data you are changing, not any of the important parameters they consider high risk (ie: odometer reading, pats)

From the link;
                        Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis
                        *1991-97and 2000-06: a separate control module controls the system, with a diagnostic plug located in the trunk near the air system shutoff switch.

*1998-99and 2007-2011: the separate electronic diagnostics plug was eliminated. On these vehicles, diagnostic information runs through the main ECU which is accessed through the central data link connection (DLC) located under dash. On these systems the message center indicating “SERVICE AIR SUSPENSION” may NOT be eliminated.
                        Last edited by GM_Guy; 04-16-2021, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X