Unidentified Wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unidentified Wire

Whilst wiring the new alternator; I was going to permanently disconnect the stock regulator plug (the new alternator came with its own plug and wire routing) when I came across a lone wire that comes off of the plug and ends with a pin terminal. I will see if my EVTM is still in my possession and look it up; but I would be very grateful if any of you know what this is off the top of your head(s).

Thank You

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1463.JPEG
Views:	1
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	1305692

Still can't find my EVTM. Regardless, I found what I think is the fuel injector ground. In the pic below, it's the wire with the 90* boot; lying right below the corner of the valve cover. I think it plugged into a stud on the stock lopo fuel rail IIRC. I might crimp a ring terminal on that and run it to one of the block grounds. Good idea? Bad idea?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1464.JPEG
Views:	2
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	1288910

Comment

Bad idea. That 90 degree plug is for the water temp sender. WagonMan
      89 Colony Park
      90 Colony Park
      70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

The unidentified wire looks like it is something that fell out of a connector (retaining tab for that terminal broke). Not entirely sure what it goes to, but I'm poking around my '89 EVTM to see what I come up with.

The right angle boot wire is for the Coolant Temperature Switch which lives in the front driver side corner of the lower intake. That switch is on at or above 249°F and for a CV will illuminate the Engine Indicator (MGM has a Coolant Temp Indicator).
        Edit: confirmed by WagonMan
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

For the sake of being ignorant; should I find a place for that temp sender ground? If I leave it unplugged, will it trip a CEL? I have a water temp gauge, so I'm not worried about not having that data.

VicCrownVic: I will clean that wire off next chance I get and tell you the color of the pin terminal wire.
          Last edited by packman; 04-20-2021, 04:30 PM.

Comment

If you ground it, the CEL will illuminate. Unplugged your CEL will never illuminate.
            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

That's only for the idiot light. You can leave it unplugged if you have a real gauge.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Sweet! THanks for all of the quick replies. Can't type fast enough to respond

Comment

On the unidentified wire, I'm actually more curious to see the other end of that wire. It looks like it is going into a round connector with 1 other wire (maybe 2 other wires?) I would like to get a better view of that connector and see if it is still present on my '91 which would help to figure out what that wire is.
                  Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

The wire in the first pic came out of a connector, no idea which but its not a ground.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

1st pic I know is not a ground wire. It was something missed when I pulled the lopo. I suspected the pin terminal was inside of a connector of some sort; I just don't know which one or if it was something that went with the lopo. That round connector where the other end joins; both of the 2G charge wires go into it and the yellow signal wire for the alternator share that connector. I cut the charge wires long ago for the 3G swap; and left the yellow signal wire on there. I took no notice of the unidentified wire. If it's not storming when I get home; I will clean it off and at least get the color (I think it's yellow w/pink stripe).

Comment

Looked through my '89 and '91 EVTMs, but still not finding that wire. I found the connector, but not what that specific wire is for. When I get a chance I'll look on my '91 and see if the connector and wires are the same. If they are the same I might have an answer later.
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Thanks VicCrownVic

Comment

I was able to look between meetings.
                            I think '91 might be slightly different, but I think I see what connector that wire goes into but I still don't know what that wire does.
                            On my '91 it goes into a gray connector, it's the only wire that goes into that gray connector on my car. The connector is a 4 pin connector but the other 3 terminals are unused on my car. On the other side of the connector there are White/Black, Black/Orange, Red, and White/Red. The White/Red is the only one that actually connects to anything (the mystery wire), the other 3 wires end at that connector (perhaps I don't have some option that would used those other 3. It is a low optioned LS.) The White/Red disappears into the harness so I'm not sure where it goes or what its function is. The EVTM doesn't give me any hints either.

Here are some not great pictures of that wire and connector on my '91. It may not be the same on '86 though.

Attached Files
                            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Thank you so much for that effort! Maybe by '91, Ford changed the connectors for that wire. Either way, if it's important, I will find out during the first fireup.

Comment

Working...
                              X