Coils, and Injectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coils, and Injectors

I'm replacing the intake on my 2010 Town Car. Everything so far is straight up MOTORCRAFT. I'm getting ready to order coils, and injectors. I'm more that likely going with MOTORCRAFT for the injectors, but I'm thinking Accel, or MSD for the coil packs. Also, the intake does not come with gaskets/seals. I'm thinking the Fel-Pro set. I am also going to replace all the hardware, but haven't seen any listings for such. What i have so far is:
    MOTORCRAFT intake manifold
    MOTROCRAFT heater pipe
    MOTORCRAFT pipe connector
    MOTORCRAFT t-stat housing
    MOTORCRAFT interceptor silicone heater hoses (I'm not replacing them twice)
    Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Mike

Seems the basic store brands of coil packs are just as good as the rest of them any more. I've heard of everyone having problems with all of the brands of coils in the past 3 years. I replaced the one motorcraft coil that shorted out on my 93's PI swap with a store brand and have had no issues with it for the past 6 years.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'd go with the Motorcraft coils.

On my 1999 3.8 Mustang, I bought an Accel coil and within 6 months was having rough running/lack of power issues. Bought another Accel coil, fixed it, but noticed a drop in fuel mileage and lack of power when being hard on the throttle. About 4 months after the second coil was installed, it died and would have left me stranded, except I had the original coil and wires in my shed.

I had removed them when I upgraded to a Windstar intake and some other work, so I had been chasing the running problems as a tune issue. When I put the Motorcraft coil and wires back in, the car ran better. I put in new Motorcraft wires (replacements were also Accel purchased with original Accel coil) and it ran better than it had since I bought the car.

I've used Accel and MSD stuff in past, and not had problems, but I feel like the newer, higher energy factory items are pretty close to the aftermarket items now and the Motorcraft quality is better.
      I haven't used MSD lately. I had an Accel coil, wires, cap and rotor in my 1987 F150 when I sold it (half wish I'd put the coil in my Crown Vic); and mostly MSD ignition in my 1988 300ZX that was running a lot of boost and didn't care for the OEM parts anymore.

In my not-always-so-humble opinion, the OEMs took the lessons of the 1980s-1990s Accel/MSD/etc and designed systems that are just as good or better than the aftermarket now. Maybe I just got 2 bum coils, but my Mustang went to the end with that original coil; and that engine is now installed in my 1979 Zephyr...with a brand new Motorcraft coil (and the original 1999 coil stashed away just in case).

Comment

Thanks for your input, guys. Sly, from personal experience, I will NEVER use a Duralast coil ever again. One of our accounts use the Ford F59 / Utilimaster trucks, and we've had to replace quite a few coil packs. We were lucky to get a week to a month out of them.
        Mike

Comment

Wow. Apparently I got one of the few good ones. Of course, my sample size is one.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Be wary of Ebay or amazon. Many motorcraft and delco parts are being counterfeited and quite well done. Hard to tell the difference.
            1987 CV LX 5.0

Comment

mcb82gt,
              I've also found at times I've gotten better deals from Rockauto. Case in point, I ordered Police Interceptor silicone heater hoses. When all was said, and done, I actually saved 10.00, over E-bay, even though the initial prices were 25.00 cheaper on E-bay. It definitely pays to shop around. What I do is put everything in checkout, and compare the final prices.
              Mike

Comment

If you’re going to get coils look for World Products brand on rock auto. They are the oem supplier for coils. Oem quality at a fraction of the price.

And for what it’s worth, most cops are made by the same manufacturer, at least the oem style ones anyway. Aftermarket performance coils are garbage though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PICKUP6772 View Post
                  mcb82gt,
                  I've also found at times I've gotten better deals from Rockauto.
                  Mike
                  Im kinda leary of RA now. Ordered GM OEM vvt actuator from them. Pretty sure its a knock off. Its different than the oe one i removed, and different from the one I just got from the dealer and will soon be installing.
                  1987 CV LX 5.0

Comment

Working...
                  X