Fuel pump for HO with 30lb injectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel pump for HO with 30lb injectors?

I'm guessing my stock Lopo fuel pump will not carry the mail with a mild HO with 30lb injectors.

What fuel pumps have you guys gone with and what works best for going to an HO engine?

I have been running a Walbro 190 lph Fuel Pump in my car. 24 lb injectors in my set up. No issues.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Holley/Walbro 255lph pump in mine; but haven't done the 1st start yet to say how it works (or not).

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
        I have been running a Walbro 190 lph Fuel Pump in my car. 24 lb injectors in my set up. No issues.

Originally posted by packman View Post
        Holley/Walbro 255lph pump in mine; but haven't done the 1st start yet to say how it works (or not).
        So end up somewhere around 200+lph and I'll likely be okay?

Comment

I would go large; just in case you get tired of the hi-po engine (judging by the "SpeedyEFI" thread) and decide to put something larger in there. At the least; you won't have to switch out the fuel pump when that time comes.

Comment

I would go large as well if I were to do things again. Same with the injector size..though I am not reaching their duty cycle according to the datalogs.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I would go large; just in case you get tired of the hi-po engine (judging by the "SpeedyEFI" thread) and decide to put something larger in there. At the least; you won't have to switch out the fuel pump when that time comes.
              Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
              I would go large as well if I were to do things again. Same with the injector size..though I am not reaching their duty cycle according to the datalogs.
              Noted, and yeah, I may (will) get bored later on. But for the first iteration of a 'built' engine in this car, this should be plenty.

Any aftermarket fuel pumps that won't require me using zip ties or something to hold it on the bracket properly?

Comment

There is a Sticky thread (Fuel Pump Upgrade) in this forum that outlines what's needed to fit aftermarket pumps into pre-1990 tanks. Sorry, I forgot what year your car is?

Also, when reading that thread, skip down to the bottom of page 1; I initially used radiator hose to fill the boot; and discovered that it was the wrong hose to use. I later (bottom of the page) replaced that with fuel filler/neck hose instead.
                Last edited by packman; 04-15-2021, 12:11 PM.

Comment

There is a Sticky thread (Fuel Pump Upgrade) in this forum that outlines what's needed to fit aftermarket pumps into pre-1990 tanks. Sorry, I forgot what year your car is?

Also, when reading that thread, skip down to the bottom of page 1; I initially used radiator hose to fill the boot; and discovered that it was the wrong hose to use. I later (bottom of the page) replaced that with fuel filler/neck hose instead.
                  Gave it a look and it makes sense.

Will I have too much fuel pressure if I run too much fuel pump? Or is there a return system on our cars to account for this? Because my current fuel system is fine as far as condition of the lines and such goes.

Comment

Fuel pressure regulator (FPR) adjusts your fuel pressure; regardless of your fuel pump volume. Stock FPR is located on the driver side fuel rail.

Comment

Fuel pressure regulator (FPR) adjusts your fuel pressure; regardless of your fuel pump volume. Stock FPR is located on the driver side fuel rail.
                      I gotcha. Wasn't sure about that.

Does your Walbro plug in to your factory harness or did you need a wiring "kit"

Looking at possibly getting these three pieces if needed then:
                      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...152QQOHM&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Walbro-400-84...HYDAN4H0FY0FWC

Comment

I cut the Holley pump wires and spliced them onto the pump leads because the Holley pump had a plug on both ends; whereas the Panther pump wires has a plug on one end and is held in place by studs on the pump housing (on the other end). I bought a stock pump just for the housing; which has the appropriate connections on the outside of the pump. One of the pictures on the bottom of page 1 shows leads on the outlet of the pump housing. All I had to do was use the stock connectors at that point.

My challenge was putting the tank back up. I had to buy threaded rod to cut my own studs for that.
                        Last edited by packman; 04-16-2021, 04:16 PM.

Comment

I cut the Holley pump wires and spliced them onto the pump leads because the Holley pump had a plug on both ends; whereas the Panther pump wires has a plug on one end and is held in place by studs on the pump housing (on the other end). I bought a stock pump just for the housing; which has the appropriate connections on the outside of the pump. One of the pictures on the bottom of page 1 shows leads on the outlet of the pump housing. All I had to do was use the stock connectors at that point.

My challenge was putting the tank back up. I had to buy threaded rod to cut my own studs for that.
                          Ah, heard that. I didn't know if that was gonna be the same or if this was a different iteration of the car with the 255 installed.

So, for the sake of being prepared, I'll probably get those three things then and see how it turns out.

Comment

That’s basically what I did. I did the fuel pump upgrade and the throttle body modification long before I parked the car.

Comment

That’s basically what I did. I did the fuel pump upgrade and the throttle body modification long before I parked the car.
                              Oh, awesome. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X