1995 factory radio troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
    I would have used a modulator (like the one I use in my GM) instead of the tape adapter if I hadn't had the antenna shaved when the car was repainted in 2010.
    With a wired in modulator, the car antenna is of no consequence, the car lead plugs into the modulator, but the modulator has it's own lead that then plugs into car radio, feeds signal direct.
    Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Does an antenna shave mean you still have just the cable hidden up behind the fender?

I have a FM modulator in my car for when I want to listen some music I dont have on tape and The reception is really strong, so strong that I dont even raise up the antenna.

If push comes to shove maybe you can pick up a stubby antenna and just tuck it up behind the fender liner and it would suit your needs.
    I think for a wirelss connection, you could just use a universal replacvement and put the antenna anywhere in the car, like under a seat or floormat even.
    Last edited by tbear853; 04-18-2021, 06:45 PM.
    No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

went through my 92 radio service manual, reasonably sure the blue thing is the eject solenoid. Its not purely mechanical on these, the buttons trigger the solenoid to pull and it does stuff via the magic of springs.

I think the switch that does the radio/tape selection is on the circuit board. At least thats what I think the manual is telling me. I didn't spend a ton of time studying it. The other problem is the 92 manual covers 5 different mechanisms, and I'm not 100% I'm looking at the right one since the radio in question doesn't have a part number specifically covered by this book.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
        Does an antenna shave mean you still have just the cable hidden up behind the fender?

I have a FM modulator in my car for when I want to listen some music I dont have on tape and The reception is really strong, so strong that I dont even raise up the antenna.

If push comes to shove maybe you can pick up a stubby antenna and just tuck it up behind the fender liner and it would suit your needs.
        Unfortunately, no. I was young(er) and dumb(er) and ditched the entire antenna, base, and cable assembly when I had it done. "The exhaust is all the music I need!" and all that.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        these can do line input very easily. That square plug on the back with the dummy connector in it has signal out and signal in from the optional CD player. If you break that connection and feed your own signal in, it goes direct to the amp instead of through the tape or tuner parts. Sounds much better. Just need a 3.5mm jack with internal switching to do it.
        That's a pretty interesting way of doing it. I'd need to see a wiring diagram of the final product, though. I'm not completely illiterate with this stuff, but I've forgotten a lot of what I used to know.

Originally posted by tbear853 View Post
        With a wired in modulator, the car antenna is of no consequence, the car lead plugs into the modulator, but the modulator has it's own lead that then plugs into car radio, feeds signal direct.I think for a wirelss connection, you could just use a universal replacvement and put the antenna anywhere in the car, like under a seat or floormat even.
        This actually may be the best course of action for me. I was just looking at some of these and they can be had for pretty cheap.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        went through my 92 radio service manual, reasonably sure the blue thing is the eject solenoid. Its not purely mechanical on these, the buttons trigger the solenoid to pull and it does stuff via the magic of springs.

I think the switch that does the radio/tape selection is on the circuit board. At least thats what I think the manual is telling me. I didn't spend a ton of time studying it. The other problem is the 92 manual covers 5 different mechanisms, and I'm not 100% I'm looking at the right one since the radio in question doesn't have a part number specifically covered by this book.
        That's what I was thinking. I couldn't see any sort of mechanism on the tape carrier that looked like it was a mechanical switch to tell the radio a tape is inserted. I'm thinking the wired FM modulator may be the best bet for me since it'll eliminate the problem I'm having with the tape deck.
        —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
        1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
        1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
        1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

the switch seems to be just a simple slider thing. If thats sticky, it may just need to be cleaned and then it will act right. Not sure if its pulled back forward when the tape ejects or if its spring return but I can see if its gummy it may hang in the wrong position.

anyway, for the aux in, here are pinouts for the back of the radio and for some commonly available jacks. Leave the loop status pin empty. Signal return is ground, the others are self-explanatory. Basically you connect the radio terminals to the jack terminals. I don't happen to know exactly which pins are the right ones to go into that connector unfortunately but I'm sure its something that can be worked out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	90s radio rear connector pinout.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1288908

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Very much thanks to Sly for taking some time out of his day to take a look at my ailing radio. Didn’t find anything explicitly wrong the the tape deck, but he did clean up a corroded trace on the board and replaced a leaky capacitor. I won’t find out if that did the trick until we get back to Arkansas; however, I’m very appreciative of the time and effort he was willing to put in for me. Thanks!
            —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
            1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
            1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
            1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
              Very much thanks to Sly for taking some time out of his day to take a look at my ailing radio. Didn’t find anything explicitly wrong the the tape deck, but he did clean up a corroded trace on the board and replaced a leaky capacitor. I won’t find out if that did the trick until we get back to Arkansas; however, I’m very appreciative of the time and effort he was willing to put in for me. Thanks!
              Awesome.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Leaky caps don't help anything, so getting that replaced will help something. Whether it's the root of the problem or not remains to be seen.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

depending where it is, it might do it. These use 5v logic switching to flip from tape to radio. Not sure if it pulls high or low to go to tape mode but either way if the voltage is too far off it won't act right.

Comment

Working...
                  X