heater core restrictor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heater core restrictor

Are you guys running a restrictor in the inlet line? Im pretty sure its the passenger side line, correct?
    1987 CV LX 5.0

The line from the pipe near the thermostat is the "input" side of the heater core. The one that goes back to the water pump is the "output". So typically this should be the driver side of the heater core, but follow the hoses. That will give you the correct one. They can flow either way.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      The line from the pipe near the thermostat is the "input" side of the heater core. The one that goes back to the water pump is the "output". So typically this should be the driver side of the heater core, but follow the hoses. That will give you the correct one. They can flow either way.
      Sly, are you running a restrictor? Think ill just jam a 1/2 socket in there and hose clamp it.
      1987 CV LX 5.0

Comment

I'm using a washer on mine. This is the official item

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-18599A/79-0...low-Restrictor
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I am running the official item.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I’ve got a 13mm in mine.

My Cars:
            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Does a restrictor give you more heat? I put a new heater core in my 90 without ATC and I barely get any heat out of it. Even with the 195 degree thermostat. WagonMan
              89 Colony Park
              90 Colony Park
              70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

no, it just makes the core less likely to pop if you wind the engine up a bunch.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
                  Does a restrictor give you more heat? I put a new heater core in my 90 without ATC and I barely get any heat out of it. Even with the 195 degree thermostat. WagonMan
                  Just did my sons core. It blows 165 degrees out the floor vent. Plenty toasty!

Were your blend and mode door ok in the hvac box?
                  1987 CV LX 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by mcb82gt View Post
                    Sly, are you running a restrictor? Think ill just jam a 1/2 socket in there and hose clamp it.
                    I was using the flush T as a restrictor until I put in the coolant filter. That's a good restrictor too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I was using the flush T as a restrictor until I put in the coolant filter. That's a good restrictor too.
                      Any info on the coolant filter? I think that would be good on his car. Coolant was very rusty cruddy after several flushes it better, but not perfect.
                      1987 CV LX 5.0

Comment

I used the flush T on the heater core input line and just ran hoses from that to the filter (in from engine, out to heater core). I used the following item from Amazon to do it and mounted it on a makeshift bracket I made.
                        Filter mount:
                        https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CSINYU/

Filter:
                        https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014B8S8A/

Reader's Rides post:
                        Wife's car: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post806998
                        The cake: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post811320

Comment

I used the flush T on the heater core input line and just ran hoses from that to the filter (in from engine, out to heater core). I used the following item from Amazon to do it and mounted it on a makeshift bracket I made.
                          Filter mount:
                          https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CSINYU/

Filter:
                          https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014B8S8A/

Reader's Rides post:
                          Wife's car: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post806998
                          The cake: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post811320
                          Whoa! I was envisioning something inline like a clear fuel filter thing made bigger for coolant lines.
                          1987 CV LX 5.0

Comment

He went all "overkill is underrated" on it.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                              He went all "overkill is underrated" on it.
                              THIS.
                              I put a "small diesel" style setup on my cars.

That said, my wife's car was really bad with the chunks and debris in the coolant system and the first filter clogged up in 2 weeks which was just about 50 miles of driving. The next one about 2 months. Then I managed to last until oil changes after that.

Comment

Working...
                              X