Core plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Core plug

So this blew out on the passenger side near the starter, obviously coolant has all leaked out, what do u guys recommend? Click image for larger version

Name:	CD73AB0C-A61A-4FD8-9D79-B8731E7130DC.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	1305694 Click image for larger version

Name:	EE7BB17D-DDAD-454E-8061-23491A916768.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	1305695

That is a block heater.

Do you want a block heater?
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

No, i only drive the car in the summer

Comment

But if its an easier fix, then i'll put a new block heater in. Also should there be something in the threaded hole below it?

Comment

The threaded hole below it should be the block drain plug. It's down inside that hole and should be a hex drive plug.

As for the block heater: clean out the hole and you can take the broken bits of the bolt clamp and get some flat bar about the same length but about 1/8 thick and thread it or weld a nut to it that fits that bolt and put it back in. If there's any rubber seals for the bolt hole or outer edge, you may need to replace those.

Or just get a casting plug (freeze plug), make sure the surface is dry on the walls of the hole, put some sealer around the plug and knock it in.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

problem with the core plugs is that you usually can't drive them in with the engine in the car. Most of the time the angle is wrong. Possibly why someone put the heater in there to begin with, especially if it doesn't have the cord with it.

Expanding rubber plugs exist for this reason. The block heater looks like the same kind my diesel had, and has the same failure. The "wing" that retains it didn't have a hinge, it was just bent into a V originally and the nut looked basically like a Chevy bow tie. The screw simply pulled the bow tie into the V and flattened it out. Unfortunately that makes the metal at the point of the V flex and it caused a stress crack. Mine failed when I pulled it out to replace the leaking O ring. There is also a rubber washer under the head of the screw, but without that wing none of that matters. It will not hold in the block without it. Not sure if you've got enough screw and depth to get away with a solid piece of steel with a tapped hole or what.

if you can just replace it with a standard core plug, do it. Clean the hole out real well, wire brush it so its down to clean metal, and hammer the thing in there. I've never used sealer but if you want to, use something thin line aviation sealer. No RTV or anything thick like that. They hammer in with a socket that just fits in the core plug, and they drive in until the edge of the cup is flush with the block. See your other ones for examples.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Make sure you use a freeze plug made of the same metal as the others in the car.
              My personal opinion is to stay away from the rubber freeze plugs. I have used them many years ago. Never liked them.

Comment

they aren't ideal, but it makes sense if the only other option is to yank the engine to drive in a metal one.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                  Make sure you use a freeze plug made of the same metal as the others in the car.
                  My personal opinion is to stay away from the rubber freeze plugs. I have used them many years ago. Never liked them.
                  Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  they aren't ideal, but it makes sense if the only other option is to yank the engine to drive in a metal one.
                  I agree with both of these. I am running three rubber ones in my 74 pickup. I don't necessarily like it, but they have been in there and doing the job for about 7 years.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                  X