No announcement yet.

Box CV 140 mph speedometer differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been in my watch list for a few years. I dont particularly want to do it but want to see some results of others.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
      Saw this on E-bay. Interesting to say the least! WagonMan

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40114433712...evt=1&mkcid=28
      Gah! What an eye sore..
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

In the spirit of using an overlay like that, could you guys educate me a tad.
        What'd have to change (speedo gear, etc.) to make something like that accurate assuming you had a perfectly proportioned scale placed dead to zero.?
        The example shown is so busy to my eye I couldn't even begin the thought of trying it.
        85 is plenty. 140 is legendary. 160 is a wish come true.
        All FORD All The Time

Comment

Did 140 speedos ever come with a trip odometers? WagonMan
          89 Colony Park
          90 Colony Park
          70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

'90+ did, but that's a whole different animal.
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

The trip meter was sort of a bummer losing when I switched to 140 on my car. I used to like using it to calculate the MPG when I filled up the tank. (Never remember the start mileage on the main odometer to do it these days.)

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

85 is plenty. 100 or 120 would be perfect. For 95% of the freeways in the states, 70 is the legal speed limit. I used to do 79 all the time until I fell in love with box life. So I'm plenty happy with the resolution offered by the 85's as all of the real estate to the right of that on the 140 models is wasted. Guess it really depends on the driver and how often they see themselves going beyond 85.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                  85 is plenty. 100 or 120 would be perfect. For 95% of the freeways in the states, 70 is the legal speed limit. I used to do 79 all the time until I fell in love with box life. So I'm plenty happy with the resolution offered by the 85's as all of the real estate to the right of that on the 140 models is wasted. Guess it really depends on the driver and how often they see themselves going beyond 85.
                  I’ve spent hours upon hours with my 140 speedo floating on the 110-125 range on my ‘85 Coupe...it’s how I turned a 3 1/2hr drive down mostly country roads into a 2hr drive every other weekend for 6 months. Those days are solidly behind me, but I still love my 140...sweet sweet memories. I can’t explain the emotions tied to those long drives, every other Friday night, I’d clean up and pack up after work and haul ass to see my the love of my life(married now, but only dating then).
                  '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Yah, there's a word for that- illegal.

When I was a younger man I spent many a night on 696 doing 100 or 110 in the Fireturd myself. Those days are also behind me, I just don't trust others nor do I want to wreck the coolest family heirloom I've got.

Comment

A few minutes of stupidity is not worth losing a driver license, high insurance rates because of that. Criminal record depending on the State laws. An expensive ticket, maybe jail time, plus the possibility of killing or injuring others. Having the vehicle impounded too.
                      There is a saying... " I did that when I was young and dumb"

Comment

I've done triple digits... I was always the slower car and "somewhere south of the border" rather in the middle of nowhere when doing so... except that one time when I was getting some distance between me and some jacknut in a M30 that kept cutting me off with little to no space to spare.

The longest run was a good hour at 95-100 about 1/10 of a mile behind a late model Charger. About half way to the big city... he took off (probably 110-120) and I caught back up just before the big city when we slowed up for traffic.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I had to contend with a jerk driveing a BMW and he was getting to frisky for my taste buds so I yelled at him" lets dance" and hit the gas and blew past him in my CV.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                            A few minutes of stupidity is not worth losing a driver license, high insurance rates because of that. Criminal record depending on the State laws. An expensive ticket, maybe jail time, plus the possibility of killing or injuring others. Having the vehicle impounded too.
                            There is a saying... " I did that when I was young and dumb"
                            Yeah, that’s why I never did that sort of thing near civilization or any type of traffic. It was common to see another car once every 15-20mins at those speeds, at which point I’d slow down until they went by, then pick back up. The only danger, ever, was to myself. I know how to speed responsibly.
                            '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Some toll roads in texas around Austin the speed limit is like 90, ran 95 for many miles. Thats the only way to get across that state.
                              1987 CV LX 5.0

Comment

Virginia is for lovers. Virginia is not for speeders.
                                Going back for a hearing for 7MPH over not so much a fun time.
                                All FORD All The Time

Comment

Working...
                                X