Box CV 140 mph speedometer differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Box CV 140 mph speedometer differences?

I was digging through my parts today, and came across my '89 CV's original 85 mph speedometer and an extra 140 mph speedometer. I then noticed that the 140 mph speedometer that I installed in the car years ago is different than this 140 mph speedometer. In the pics, you can see the difference. I never knew that there were different styles of the 140.

The 140 mph speedometer in the '89 is a bit "too busy" with all the highlighted details and colors. It seems a bit out of place. I really like plain look of the 85 mph speedometer. Since this other 140 is a little more plain, I think I'm going to install it.

Anyone know what the differences between the 140's mean? Different years, perhaps? Which style do you prefer?
    Attached Files

The one in the car is an 82-87 model. The extra is the 88-89, my personal favorite as well.

There should be for the 79-81 as well with orange metrics but I have never seen one in person.

I have seen a picture of a 135mph also. Little variances.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

... 1981 Ford 140 speedo. Never saw it over about 119 down a hill though.
      Attached Files
      No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

I honestly prefer the earlier font. Something about the '88-'89 looks a little funny, but I know they were trying to made the dash look a little more modern before the '90 dash restyle.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Neat. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by tbear853 View Post
            ... 1981 Ford 140 speedo. Never saw it over about 119 down a hill though.
            It exists! I like it.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
              I have seen a picture of a 135mph also. Little variances.
              Are you thinking of the Mercury ones?

I don't think I've seen a Ford unit not read 140.

From what I've seen on the '80-'82 Police Marquis speedometers, they followed the same changes as the civilian clusters for the same years.
              IIRC:
              -'80-'81 used the triangles for the turn indicators, '82 got the arrows (someone has a photo up of one here)
              -'80 units have a sleeve on the shifter if it's a AOD car for the (D) indicator. Under the sleeve is the SelectShift pattern. (My cluster has the AOD sleeve). They also lack the high beam pictogram, and just have the blue indicator. '81-'82 have AOD selector only with high beam pictogram.
              -'80-'81 units have the counterweighted wide fuel needle, but '82+ got the smaller range gauge fuel needle without the counterweight.
              -'80-'81 units have the warning lights written out, '82+ got the pictograms.
              -'80-'81 units also have the warning light patterns changed, as the location on the '82+ spot for BRAKE is TEMP on -'81.

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Civilian model speedometers read either 85 or 120 mph. Police models read 135 or 140mph. I have seen a 160 but don't remember what it was in. I know the 140 in a Mustang was pegged. Not at all safe.
                That Mercury police speedometer is a rarity. I have lots of regrets of not ordering my old 82 Mercury as a full police package.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                  Are you thinking of the Mercury ones?

I don't think I've seen a Ford unit not read 140.
                  I am 98% on it. It was on CVN circa 2006. The brain can get rusty. It was only that one.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

I'd like to comment on the needle color of the installed speedometer below:

Did you paint the needle orange? Never seen that style speedometer (teal k's) with an orange needle only the white needle.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'm thinking that the orange needle is from the 85 mph speedometer, and that I may have switched them. My 85 has a white needle in the picture.

Comment

I like the one you've got installed. All white font is too busy to me, whereas the teal makes the cluster much less distracting and easier to read.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                          I like the one you've got installed. All white font is too busy to me, whereas the teal makes the cluster much less distracting and easier to read.
                          Agreed. The all white pulls my eyes and focus in 3 directions. The teal allows me to see the numbers better.
                          I'm still searching for a 140 for my Sherrie.
                          All FORD All The Time

Comment

Originally posted by monterey1962 View Post
                            I'm thinking that the orange needle is from the 85 mph speedometer, and that I may have switched them. My 85 has a white needle in the picture.

Ahh yes. That makes sense. I see it now. I am afraid to breath on the speedometer in fear of bending the needle. I messed up a fuel gauge and really try to stay away from cluster needles. I commend you.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Saw this on E-bay. Interesting to say the least! WagonMan

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40114433712...evt=1&mkcid=28
                              89 Colony Park
                              90 Colony Park
                              70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Working...
                              X