No announcement yet.

Box CV 140 mph speedometer differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love the marquis speedos. I forget what 140 I have in mine. The digi dash in my town car read up to 120 after the chip got rid of the limit of 107. It still pulled past 120 but didn't register iirc.
    Last edited by p71towny; 04-27-2021, 09:55 PM.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

OH, the digidash Townies will read above 85?
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	F9448F36-284B-4043-A22A-CE85405ED83A.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	637.2 KB
ID:	1288991
        Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
        I have seen a picture of a 135mph also. Little variances.
        The 135. It has a 140 mark. Caught it on a Facebook video.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]56251[/ATTACH]

The 135. It has a 140 mark. Caught it on a Facebook video.
          Oh that’s weird looking. Looks like an ‘88-‘89 dash, so I wonder what the reasoning for doing that was even though 140 variants exist in that style too.

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I second that looking odd and different. Cant say Ive seen that before. Almost like an overlay. The surface looks so flat.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Hate to revive an old thread, but is there any 140 cluster that will swap into a 91 Grand Marquis?

Comment

yes, but only 90/91 years IIRC.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  yes, but only 90/91 years IIRC.

I take it the sweeping style clusters out of a Vic are different than the 90-91 sweeping style Mercury clusters?

Comment

Originally posted by 91merc View Post

I take it the sweeping style clusters out of a Vic are different than the 90-91 sweeping style Mercury clusters?
                    90-91 Ford and Mercury clusters are styled differently but are functionally identical and plug-in compatible with each other.
                    Analog Lincoln clusters are also the same plastic housing but I'm not sure they plug in without problems due to Lincolns having additional warning lights.
                    Starting for model year 90, the speedometer is electronic, taking its input from the VSS (where on 89 and prior, there is a mechanical speedometer cable).
                    You cannot interchange pre-90 with a 90/91 without an absolutely massive investment of effort.

The 90-91 firewall, dashboard, cluster and all associated technology elements is far more similar to the aeros than to the boxes.

This is a Canadian police speedometer from a 90 P72 cop car in my 91 Mercury:

Last edited by kishy; 08-09-2023, 01:52 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
                    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                    | 88 TC | 91 GM
                    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

Are there by chance any of the 90-91 clusters that have a 100,000 mile odometer?

Comment

Originally posted by 91merc View Post
                        Are there by chance any of the 90-91 clusters that have a 100,000 mile odometer?
                        Canadian clusters are 6 digit starting in 84 - but I'm pretty sure American clusters don't get the extra digit until 95 (or maybe even a later year, but in the 95+ style cluster at least).

Whether you could use the Canadian odometer in the American cluster, I don't know. I bet you could, but I bet the odometer will count in km because of the electric motor speed and gear tooth ratios being set for km. Edit: the gears are the same in the US/CA clusters, so maybe you just take the motor out of the American odometer and attach it to the Canadian odometer assembly and it works. Maybe.
                        Last edited by kishy; 08-09-2023, 02:35 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                        | Junkyards

Comment

92+ have 6 digit odometers in the US. At least 93+ since my 93 had a 6 digit odometer. HAD because the internals of the speedometer (gears and some of the casing) started cracking and breaking so I have a digital Autometer speedometer with odometer hacked into my dash.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                            92+ have 6 digit odometers in the US. At least 93+ since my 93 had a 6 digit odometer. HAD because the internals of the speedometer (gears and some of the casing) started cracking and breaking so I have a digital Autometer speedometer with odometer hacked into my dash.
                            Oh, right, I kinda forgot that the new cluster was actually in 92, but only for Ford.

I know for sure an American 92 Town Car analog cluster (which is essentially the same thing as the Mercury cluster, and the Ford cluster that existed in 90-91) is still 5 digit, but the internet makes it look like 93-94 get "approximately the same cluster" with a 6 digit odometer.

So you could probably investigate hacking this together using a 90-91 140MPH speedometer and the odometer assembly out of a 93-94 Grand Marquis or Town Car (analog only).
                            Last edited by kishy; 08-09-2023, 04:42 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

I'm not certain about '92, I thought the 6 digit odo that I bought from someone one here (mcninetyone) had a '93 (F3) part number, but I might be imagining that. That 6 digit odo was installed in my stock cluster in The Ice Car then swapped into the '90-'91 police cluster. The police cluster was later swapped for a '98-'02 P71 cluster (nowhere near a direct swap), and the '90-'91 police cluster is in The Scab still today (since I haven't swapped to '98-'02).
                              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I have a 180kph (100mph) speedo out of a 1989 crown vic that is also white letters/orange needle as the installed one above (but no square at 55mph on the Canuck speedos). I pulled that years ago from an 89 cv. Just something else to throw into the mix. I'll add a photo later, battery is dead in the camera.

Comment

Working...
                                X