85 Grand Marq Tudor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 Grand Marq Tudor

This one has a bit of a story behind it. Wasn't looking for another box, but as usual they find me.

Long story still long, friend of mine and I wanted to do another cross country road trip. We did one last year in a 91 SHO I bought sight unseen in Grants Pass, OR, ended up selling it to another buddy of mine (same one that has my old tudor Crown Vic) This year I bought a 97 Mark VIII LSC, and my buddy bought a SC400, we drove down the entire pacific coast and did a route 66 trip back across the country. (offroadkarter btw, he was at scottsfest 13' had the DTR Marauder with the polished eaton on top). I liked the Mark but didn't fall in love with it after a 4,313 mile test drive. Someone in a Facebook Mark group wanted to trade a clean Grand Marq tudor for a Mark 8 so after I had a few too many drinks we ended up agreeing on it. A month or so later we met up in KY and the deed was done. I somewhat regret trading the Mark VIII, but generic 90's bubble cars don't do it for me. Underpowered, awful build quality 80's boxes are where it's at.

That brings us to were we currently stand. Not sure what I'll do with it, but it's a minty 65k mile tudor.

Trusty, but uninspiring Mark VIII

Left home with one coupe,

Came home with another.

After a 24 hour, 1400 mile turn and burn,
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

The difference in aerodynamic shape between the two is astounding!

The 7.3 doing well on the tow job?
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Nice!!! Where did you get the '85 from? Looks remarkably like the '85 my friend used to have before moving down to Kentucky.

Comment

How close is that color to your wagon?

Did the bumber jack do a number on the passenger side front bumper?

Looks really nice. Guy musta been happy with this trade.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Didn't trust the 85 for the trip back up?

Much as I like the Mark VIII from a theoretical perspective, I've honestly never been able to fall for one either.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The Mark VIII was a interesting car. Time for repairs though it was expensive. New owner better have deep pockets if you need to replace a headlight!
            It is one of those cars that a person needs to hoard parts for. If one is found whole in a junkyard, start hoarding.

Comment

I am semi serious about a '95 or '96... But yeah, I'm just not sure how expensive they are to maintain. Doesn't look like a vehicle I'd be doing much on myself. I still hate multicamshaft engines too, but 300ish HP sounds like fun and it would be nice to have a Lincoln which moves without having to modify the one I've got. On the other hand, if someone has an equally minty Mark VII they'd like to trade for my Town Car, cool.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Super cool! Well worth the trip to get her I say. Reminds me of the '86 my buddy in PA saw at a car show a few years back. Getting '03+ frame swap and SEFI treatment?
                '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

I remember the commercials from the early-90s when the Mark VIII was introduced that were narrated by Jeff Goldblum, "The 300-horsepower, 32-valve, Lincoln Mark VIII. Drive everything else...first."

You're correct on it being an unremarkable car, though. You could show someone a picture of the quarter window and the slope of the rear body line and they wouldn't be able to tell what car it's from. It's very similar to that Lexus.
                  —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                  1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                  1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                  1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

A Mk VIII is a far cry from the 70s Marks and 80s Tudors. The design just doesn't seem very Lincoln-like, unlike the aero Town Car. But I guess the Mk VII was already taking the model in a different direction, and the whole personal luxury coupe segment was dying out anyway.

But if you separate it from everything that came before, I think it's a fairly attractive vehicle. It's a much more cohesive design than the Lexus beside it. Reminds me a bit of the first gen Olds Aurora.
                    1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

I like the chassis and the driveline, its just the blob shape doesn't quite do it for me, but I feel that way about all the 90s jellybean cars. Its a much better chassis than the Mark VII is on if I'm being perfectly honest about it. Basically just a bigger MN-12 with air suspension.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Jeff Goldblum eh? A certain scene from Superbad comes to mind haha...

Anyway, I thought the styling was unremarkable too. However, they're growing on me, especially the years before the front& rear got a collagen injection (93-96). They look a lot easier to keep clean than a four door box Lincoln with all of it's nooks & crannies. Hand washing it takes hours. But boy, does it sure clean up nice and turn heads when it is all spiffy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                          The difference in aerodynamic shape between the two is astounding!

The 7.3 doing well on the tow job?
                          It's funny you mention the aerodynamics. Got 12.2 mpg on the way down (cruise set at ~77), got 12 even on the way back. I blame the shape of the box!

The 7.3 has been great! I absolutely love it, unloaded highway cruise set @ 77 net's mid 16's for mpg's. If I drop down to 72, I can squeak out 17mpg, not bad for a 3/4 ton gasjob. The 10R140 is more of a love/hate relationship. I'm hoping a TCM reprogram fixes a few of it's quirks.

Originally posted by packman View Post
                          Nice!!! Where did you get the '85 from? Looks remarkably like the '85 my friend used to have before moving down to Kentucky.
                          The 85 is originally from Sothern Illinois.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          How close is that color to your wagon?

Did the bumber jack do a number on the passenger side front bumper?

Looks really nice. Guy musta been happy with this trade.
                          Bumper is fine, I think your seeing the reflexion of my tongue box in the one pic.

As for the trade, he was happy. The Mark looked great in pics, but had a mediocre respray. Overall, I think it was a fair trade. I think I overpaid a bit for the Lincoln, but when your buying cars sight unseen on the other side of the country, that can happen.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          Didn't trust the 85 for the trip back up?

Much as I like the Mark VIII from a theoretical perspective, I've honestly never been able to fall for one either.
                          I think the 85 would have made it fine, but just brining the trailer makes it easy not to worry about reg/insurance BS. The reason I pay so much a month to own a modern truck is for trips like this.

I wanted to like the Lincoln, I really did, but it just didn't do much for me.

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                          The Mark VIII was a interesting car. Time for repairs though it was expensive. New owner better have deep pockets if you need to replace a headlight!
                          It is one of those cars that a person needs to hoard parts for. If one is found whole in a junkyard, start hoarding.
                          The Mark VIII reminded me a lot of the Lincoln LS I owned. I nice car, but in constant need of love and attention.

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                          I am semi serious about a '95 or '96... But yeah, I'm just not sure how expensive they are to maintain. Doesn't look like a vehicle I'd be doing much on myself. I still hate multicamshaft engines too, but 300ish HP sounds like fun and it would be nice to have a Lincoln which moves without having to modify the one I've got. On the other hand, if someone has an equally minty Mark VII they'd like to trade for my Town Car, cool.
                          Personally, the Gen I Mark VIII's don't so anything for me; I think they've aged like sour milk. Compare a 1992 Lexus SC300/400 to a 1993 Mark VIII. The Lincoln looks 20 years old. Sure, it had a lot of cool tech, but certainly an American car designed in the 80's. A 96 LSC at least get's bonus point's for being an LSC. The facelifted Gen II 97/98's still look great I think, but certainly are a product from the 90's bubble era. Plus the 97/98's get the neon, better interior, all the good stuff.

Originally posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post
                          Super cool! Well worth the trip to get her I say. Reminds me of the '86 my buddy in PA saw at a car show a few years back. Getting '03+ frame swap and SEFI treatment?
                          I have a first gen Lighting 351 mill laying around and a Lentech Street Terminator AOD. I suspect if I keep the car they will end up in it.

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                          I remember the commercials from the early-90s when the Mark VIII was introduced that were narrated by Jeff Goldblum, "The 300-horsepower, 32-valve, Lincoln Mark VIII. Drive everything else...first."

You're correct on it being an unremarkable car, though. You could show someone a picture of the quarter window and the slope of the rear body line and they wouldn't be able to tell what car it's from. It's very similar to that Lexus.
                          I will say the Lexus had infinitely better build quality. Overall, I liked the Lincoln more, but closing the door on the Lincoln felt the same as closing the door on a Tempo. Closing the door on the Lexus felt like closing a bank vault.

Originally posted by Lutrova View Post
                          A Mk VIII is a far cry from the 70s Marks and 80s Tudors. The design just doesn't seem very Lincoln-like, unlike the aero Town Car. But I guess the Mk VII was already taking the model in a different direction, and the whole personal luxury coupe segment was dying out anyway.

But if you separate it from everything that came before, I think it's a fairly attractive vehicle. It's a much more cohesive design than the Lexus beside it. Reminds me a bit of the first gen Olds Aurora.
                          Having owned a Mark VII, the Mark VIII is easily twice the car. That said, I would choose Mark VII over a Mark VIII I think.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          I like the chassis and the driveline, its just the blob shape doesn't quite do it for me, but I feel that way about all the 90s jellybean cars. Its a much better chassis than the Mark VII is on if I'm being perfectly honest about it. Basically just a bigger MN-12 with air suspension.
                          Nailed it 100%. The MN12/FN10 chassis is leaps and bounds above a fox, it honestly drove a lot like a 03+ panther. For how heavy the car was, I was really pushing it on the switchbacks out west, and damn if the car didn't handle well above my expectations.

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                          Jeff Goldblum eh? A certain scene from Superbad comes to mind haha...

Anyway, I thought the styling was unremarkable too. However, they're growing on me, especially the years before the front& rear got a collagen injection (93-96). They look a lot easier to keep clean than a four door box Lincoln with all of it's nooks & crannies. Hand washing it takes hours. But boy, does it sure clean up nice and turn heads when it is all spiffy.

They are neat for sure. Personally, I hate the 93-96's, but some people love them.
                          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post

Bumper is fine, I think your seeing the reflexion of my tongue box in the one pic.
                            I see that on the lower half... talking more about the relation of bumper to underside of header panel. Looks like more of a gap between headlights and bumper on drivers side than passengers. I think its just the angle of photo.

Any story behind the car?
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I think I'd rather have a Mark VII too. F Toyota though, I'll be damned if I ever own one. As I like to say, we may not build the best product, but it's our product. Like, if my brother owned a breadshop I couldn't fathom buying my bread anywhere else.. Although, that's an old mentality. I couldn't in good conscience recommend an American car to anyone these days. Certain trucks (Like your 7.3) or cars like a Camaro, maybe. The quad cam job in a VIII is quite remarkable, so even though it was designed in the 80's, its a modern car to me. Too bad they weren't available with a manual transmission from the factory.

Comment

Working...
                              X