No announcement yet.

85 Grand Marq Tudor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welp, coil it was. Should have listened and never put that MSD coil on there in the first place.

It still wouldn't fire this morning (I suspected it would cool down and be fine, thankfully it wasn't, makes it a bit easier to diag)
    Threw on a clean generic replacement coil I had laying around and it fired right up.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Least it was an easy fix and diag. I can't believe their stuff is THAT bad and that it continues to be. Speaks to their lack of quality control.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

i guess the Might Suddenly Die nickname is earned.

I've had the same imitation MSD coil on mine for probably 13 years at this point. I think it came from Summit or Jegs. Basically just a stock type coil with red plastic instead of black.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Funny how their coils are often complete ass and their ignition boxes are good. The 6AL box on my Fireturd hasn't given me any problems, I just find it funny how I've got an MSD box, wires and distributor on that car but factory coil and cap.

Comment

Getting the car ready for Carlisle. Gave it a quick wash, and the interior a medium duty cleaning. Swapped out the ancient generic floor mats that were in there for a full set of factory blue Ford ones.

Eagle eye readers will note the 86?+ radio. Factory on this car was the old common ground analog AM/FM. At some point the PO swapped in a generic awful modern aftermarket radio. Whoever did the install took the time to run new 2 wire to all four speakers at least. I made an adapt-a-kit out of the plugs off my old 92 Vic to adapt the newer mid 80's-mid 90's to the older style plugs. I wish the radio I had had a nicer faceplate, but it works. Factory speakers sound awful but they are 35 years old so that's to be expected.

It does have a mint uncracked early style dash pad. I just threw on the dash pad cover I've had for years to help keep the sun off it.

Now to the fun pre-trip parts. I noticed the front sump oil pan drain lug leaked quite a bit. The PO told me his "mechanic" said the plug was bad and he should change it. Well he wasn't wrong! I hardly touched it and it fell right out. I'm glad I didn't loose it going down the road! Thankfully the threads in the pan weren't too bad, and I was able to chase them. The rear sump plug wasn't much better, so I chased them too. Two new plugs and all is well! Also, it had some cheapo fleet no name half size oil filter on it. It got a 1515 (napa gold(wix) FL-1A twin)

I had also noticed a distinct compression leak type sound lately. Didn't sound like an exhaust leak, sounded like a plug was about ready to leave the engine. While I was under there I checked for any exhaust/manifold leaks, and all seemed fine. Sure as shit though #4 plug was covered in carbon. I went to remove it and it also pretty much fell out. Looks like someone cross threaded it and made it about one full turn. The joy's of owning old junk. Going to hopefully throw a new plug in there and call it good. Need to check the other seven now!

2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

wow. I've had my learning issues with plugs early on, but damn. I've never manages any of those tricks.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah, I've never seen a crossthreaded plug before or drain plugs that bad.

Interior looks mint on that rig.

Comment

What a looker inside and out.

Yikes on the threaded/unthreaded/cross threaded finds.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

That car is a joy to look at. I'd love to get my hands on a set of those mirrors that don't have the plastic trim on the outer edge.

What kind of idiot cross threads a spark plug?
                    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                      That car is a joy to look at. I'd love to get my hands on a set of those mirrors that don't have the plastic trim on the outer edge.

Manual mirrors are absent trim like that.

You can remove the trim on your stock mirrors if it bothers you. Just four screws:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post547980
                      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                        Not threading a spark plug in by hand before laying a ratchet on them will result in cross-threading. But I wouldn't know anything about that

Now taking an impact to oil pan plugs and shock mounts.........

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          Manual mirrors are absent trim like that.

You can remove the trim on your stock mirrors if it bothers you. Just four screws:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post547980
                          It doesn't bother me, per se, but I do prefer the look without the trim.
                          —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                          1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                          1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                          1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

I've seen thin threads on drain plugs before, but never a threadless one. Lucky the pan threads are still OK. Sometimes you really just have to shake your head at things.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I just noticed you got the dizzy boot over the MSD cap. I saved a dizzy boot from the junkyard for that purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                                I just noticed you got the dizzy boot over the MSD cap. I saved a dizzy boot from the junkyard for that purpose.
                                Ive got the same on my car. Its a tight fit but it fits.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X