Modular torque converter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modular torque converter question

Hey all, I came across a new one today that I'd never heard before and thought I'd run it by you guys and see if anyone has ever heard this. My dad has a buddy who is a mechanic, used to be a Ford service manager and now has his own shop. The guy is very good and he's normally the first person I go to for advice and he's never led me astray. But tonight he told me one that I think is a whopper he pulled out of his ass, so here it is. He says it's a very well known very common problem that the torque converters Ford used in all modular applications swell over time generally worst between 100,000-150,000 miles. This swelling puts pressure on the rear main seal causing it to leak, this all came about cuz dads 2002 E150 with the 4.6 is at 165,000 and has a slow rear main leak. Dad's buddy says it's hard to find a 4.6 with over 100,000 miles on it that doesn't have this rear main seal leak from the torque converter swelling. In all my ten years of experience with four 4.6's I've personally owned and many more I've helped friends and relatives with this is the first rear main seal leak I've come across.

So what do you all think is this really a well known issue with the modular motors that I've somehow just never heard of? or is this guy making up B.S.?
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

I've heard of converters swelling in performance applications but don't know how common it is. not hard to check though. Unbolt the torque converter and see if it will slide back. If it does, its not pushing on the crankshaft. I also don't see how it would push on the seal. If anything is going to happen, the crank is going to be pushed forward, not the seal.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've heard of the the stock non-P71 torque converters swelling/ballooning when ran with a P71 ECM such as an ARA3. I haven't heard of the rear main seal, but my experience is quite limited so I really can't say that it's not a common problem.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

From what I know, ARA3 (1999 CVPI) pushes a lot of pressure and without a jmod, there's not quite enough flow in the TC passages of the valve body for pressure relief at high RPM.That year CVPI was also known for ballooning the TC. It generally comes from higher RPM usage. Towing, racing, pursuit, etc. I do think vehicles with the 4R75 instead of the 4R70 are less prone to it, but I could be mistaken. I've never heard of that happening with the 4R100 in trucks though. I wouldn't say it's a common issue, but I would say it's a known issue.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
        X