Oil Filter Change Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Filter Change Tool

Sorry for the lack of a better name for this thread. So, I don't know about any of you out there; but the first time I changed the oil in my '05 MGM was a freakin mess! I thought the '86 CV was bad; and then Ford made it much worse. So when you spin that filter off; it's supposed to pour out onto a plastic channel that directs the oil alongside the steering rack and out of a spout-looking thing. The problem is that some oil takes that route; but most of it takes other less resistant paths (like onto the steering rack itself). It took a couple more oil changes to figure out a better way (IMO). After realizing that I needed to reroute the oil; I dug into the recycling bin and discovered that cutting an empty seltzer bottle in half and laying right under the oil filter would accomplish the objective. Just point it out towards the front of the car and 99% of the oil will run out the bottle spout and into your dirty oil basin (or whatever you use). When you have removed the oil filter, carefully pull the half bottle forward over the sway bar and point it down to drain what's leftover in the half-bottle. Then you're good to go.

This is a very simple solution, but it works for me. What do you guys do when changing your oil filters? I know somebody has to have a better way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0885.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1305710 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0883.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	1305711

Lucky yours even has the little spout thing, shame it's ineffective sounding. I was wondering why on earth Ford would design the oil filter to drain onto the steering rack on the '03+ cars when I was doing the oil change on my roommate's Town Car. Guess I have a new method of attack as I've never considered a way to re-route it.

The -'02 stuff doesn't make as much of a mess. It does pour a little on the center link, but a quick wipe with a rag and its clean again.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Once in a while you see afterthought engineering in full effect. The 03+ chassis re-design didn't go along with any change to the engine, so you get the same filter location with completely different underneath bits. A nicer fix would have been to remote-mount the oil filter someplace that doesn't cause any fuss or mess but I guess they cheaped out and stuck a little plastic flap in there as a feel-good measure.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I like your filter wrench. Any idea who makes /made it ? It looks like something well made in the USA that is forty years old.

Comment

Mainemantom: my bad; I meant to reply earlier, but got caught up with the CV. The filter wrench is K-D Manufacturing Co. part# 2029. Yes, it is 50 sumtin years old. My Dad was using it when he was in his late teens. He mentioned using it on The Rocket ('57 Plymouth Fury w/ a swapped 413 wedge). I will dig up the smaller version sometime this week. One this for sure; it's well oiled LOL

Comment

I knew it was K-D ... stuff looks like it can do the job alone.
            No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

I use a strap wrench made by snap on.
              Also there are flexible funnels that make this job much easier

https://www.calcarcover.com/product/...ning-tool/1381

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                Mainemantom: my bad; I meant to reply earlier, but got caught up with the CV. The filter wrench is K-D Manufacturing Co. part# 2029. Yes, it is 50 sumtin years old. My Dad was using it when he was in his late teens. He mentioned using it on The Rocket ('57 Plymouth Fury w/ a swapped 413 wedge). I will dig up the smaller version sometime this week. One this for sure; it's well oiled LOL
                Thanks for the reply. I have located both the large and small wrenches for sale.

Comment

Working...
                X