PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My '08 BMW 530d Touring, "Femma"

Had the time to drive this car today for the first time after it came back from the shop. Jeesus the new starter sounds like a race starter, so I guess the old one was getting tired.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    2008 BMW 530d Touring, "Femma"

I had way better success with the Fusso Coat wax on Femma vs the MGM. Spreads and comes off very nicely, like it should. Most likely just that the paint is really shit on the MGM.
    So, today the wagon got a very thorough wash and a light decontamination, then waxed the car, trim, coated the windows and even shined up the tires with some tire shine.
    The wax does make it half a shade darker, and in person it brings out so much depth on the metallic black. It's supposed to last up to 12 months, so I should be set for winter.
    And FUCK does this thing look sexy!

Now that the whole car is very "black", the M5 kidney grille look even better.
    And damn I want to lower this car so bad!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210816_190730.jpg   20210816_190744.jpg   20210816_191014.jpg  

Sexy wagon. Looking good.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Today I installed a newer and better phone mount, my china special started to rattle and wobble finally. Also removed the old school phone cradle from the center console, now I have an actually usable center console space. Tomorrow I think I'll grab a couple drink cans and figure out how they'd fit in there. I have a friend in a university that has access (and the knowhow) to use a 3d printer. He might be able to print me some custom cup holders for me, since the car wasn't optioned with factory cupholders.

Car is going to the shop on the 19th, getting the Webasto serviced and to get an onboard trickle charger installed. I chose to get a trickle charger so I can use the Webasto without worry of the battery getting low. My winter driving will most likely be somewhat irregular and probably short trips. And I know that the Finnish winter and big diesels aren't exactly the best combination. Even now going to work with mornings being just above freezing, it takes about 10 minutes of driving to get proper heat from the vents.
    Also the battery in the car is 3 years old and the trickle charger (with install) is still cheaper than a new correct spec battery...

In my commute of mixed driving, I've been averaging about 35-40 MPG, depending on how many twats I come across and subsequent ankle extensions. It is pretty good considering these 530d beemers aren't very economical when it comes to diesels.

Well, the trickle charger works as expected. The Webasto GSM control took a morning to figure out, since the instructions that came with the car were outdated.
    But now it works and I can get my car warming up even from the warmth of my bed

My friend has a remapped similar 530d and it's quite fun, so a remap will most likely be in order next year.
    Also I'm considering getting white LEDs for the angel eyes and probably some for the fog lights aswell, which are kinda wimpy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211023_234501.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	57159

Winter wheels are on:

Name:	20211102_140022.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	57198
    Kinda ugly IMO, but they came with the car. They also have a stupid lip behind the spokes, which will totally gather up sleet, ice and other crap. The tires are pretty okay Hankook studless winter tires, which I have no idea of they'll be good or not.
    I have a feeling these wheels might not be staying for long.

Also managed to back into a tree, but caused only a couple scratches and a small deformation on the rear corner. Fucken daylight savings, pitch black at 6PM. As if this thing isn't hard enough to reverse already.
    Last edited by Arquemann; 11-02-2021 at 10:22 AM.

I ended up picking up another set of wheels a week after the previous post, but due to tire season, I only got them mounted this week.
    Took a chance and paid a whopping 100€ for a set original BBS/BMW Style 244 17x7,5 wheels.
    They are in better condition than the previous ones, look a helluva lot better and cost basically nothing relative to the quality of the wheels.

Another thing I did was a DIY cupholder, since this car wasn't optioned with cupholders (OEM ones are kinda shit anyways).
    Alu reinforced plastic cut to shape, wrapped in faux leather and glued with contact adhesive. Mounted in car with adhesive backed velcro and some foam to raise it up.
    Back hole is a bit tight for a can, otherwise perfect, works with bottles and even McD cups. I might put some non-slip mat underneath so smaller cans and bottles wont try to tip over as much.

Name:	20211105_132422.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	57244 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211103_183711.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	57245

A couple things I still want to do to this car
    - Digital speedo and disabling the faulty SOS system (getting coded next wednesday)
    - White (LED) angel eyes
    - Some wheel spacers in the rear

I am in a bit of a dilemma, I like this car, and I recognise it's many pros and meaningless cons (to me), except for one. It's getting boring.
    Chronic car fever is on me again and I can't fucking help it. I want to drive a yank tank all year. I'd put the Bimmer for sale next summer. I know exactly what I'd want to replace this with and it's a pretty terrible idea. Way shittier of a daily driver, way slower, less fuel efficient, less features, less comfort features, overall probably less comfortable. It'd be simpler with less electronics and the fixed ownership costs would be lower. BUT IT WOULD BE COOLER.

Biggest problem is the current fuel prices, the beemer currently cost about 11-12€ per 100km in fuel. If the MGM's consumption improves, it'll most likely be around 25€ per 100km. It is really getting depressing how much driving costs overall...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20211115_105757.jpg  

If you are going to be depressed at least do so while driving a car you like.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Can't go to hell, if I am already there. bnw's Avatar

Which car do you have in mind as a replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by bnw View Post
    Which car do you have in mind as a replacement?
    80's GM wagons mainly, Caprice, Parisienne, Electra, Park Avenue, Custom Cruiser.
    Here's the catch: I'd like to get one with the 6.2l Detroit Diesel. It would be alright in the consumption department, but loud and slow. The diesel variants are rarer, but one or two usually for sale. Gas engined ones are plentiful and cheap as shit. Saving a grand in purchase price doesn't really help as gas costs more and consumes more of it.

Or an aero TC, preferably pre-facelift, the modular engine would might have passable consumption as a daily. Bonus points for quiet and comfort. Aero TC's go for about 4-5k euros at the cheapest.
    Or a whale Crown Vic/MGM, but those are usually way too expensive compared to what youre getting. Aero Vics/MGMs are ugly IMO, also really rare in Finland. 98-02 TCs are fugly.

A cheap hunk of american steel, V8 noises and good for general misbehaviour is basically what I'm looking for.
    Gas V8 would be great for winter comfort, fast to warm up, but said comfort comes at an awful consumption. A detroit diesel is going to suck during the winter.

A couple examples:
    https://www.nettiauto.com/buick/electra/12351791
    https://www.nettiauto.com/chevrolet/caprice/12128240
    https://www.nettiauto.com/lincoln/town-car/12439250 (5.0 tho)

In Finland complaining about the fuel prices is not the same as in USA, when I worked an hour away the last two months, taking the MGM to work would cost me almost A QUARTER of the day's pay in just fuel. And the pay wasn't bad either.
    That's why it's hard to give up a car that's fast and big that still gets 40 MPG.

Today I took the car to the shop that does remapping and other software stuff to get the SOS-system disabled and to get a digital speed reading.
    Boy howdy, 61 fault codes, 57 inactive history codes, oldest being from 2013. 4 persistent codes were about the DPF and it not actually being there anymore. So the DPF removal wasn't actually hard coded, just the related fault codes were disabled from causing anything.

The guy got the SOS call system disabled completely, now it doesn't warn about it being inoperative (system only works in Germany IIRC). And I don't have a tiny warning triangle in the center screen anymore.

But I didn't get the digital speedo like I had hoped, the instrument cluster would need a software update. Said update would take approx. 3 hours and he'd do it for 150€. Or alternatively about 400-450€ at a dealer...
    Neither me or him had the time to do it, and fuck do I need a digispeedo enough to pay even 150€? Nope.

The guy was about 20 minutes late, the whole job took less than 15, so he didn't even bother to charge me anything. Nice!

Now the car has one less DING and that's it. But ya know what has zero fault codes? A carb. See post above.

Can't go to hell, if I am already there. bnw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arquemann View Post
    But ya know what has zero fault codes? A carb. See post above.
    Well, the carb simply dies with no code, and leaves you wondering who the heck is going to fix it Try shouting "Pierburg 2E5" somewhere where old people live, and they will quickly start milling around you, trying to trample you with their walkers, and beat you down with sticks...

Quote Originally Posted by bnw View Post
    Well, the carb simply dies with no code, and leaves you wondering who the heck is going to fix it Try shouting "Pierburg 2E5" somewhere where old people live, and they will quickly start milling around you, trying to trample you with their walkers, and beat you down with sticks...
    Atleast a carb is simple enough for me to understand. Plus sometimes a carb can be fixed by smacking it with something. The beemer is so complex I can't really be arsed to even try fix it. Even if a fault code could tell me straight away what's gone bad, knowing the germans, it'd probably need 3 special tools and snake hands to even get at an offending part in the jam-packed engine bay. The Volvo 850 and V40 Mk1 were still simple enough to work on myself. My Audi, MB and Beemer not so much.

I haven't tried 2E5, but I've yelled derogary terms of a Pierburg 175 once or twice. Only 3 people were angry, me, the owner of said DVG 175 and the neighbour's mom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12