Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-Active Member becoming active again from Michigan

Hey Everyone;

I created this account a few years ago while I was driving my 1st car, an 87 Grand Marquis. That car my father purchased in (he claims) December of 86. I drove that around with no 4th gear and crappy 1st and 2nd for about a half of year until I could afford a rebuild on the transmission. That pour car was sent to the junk yard with about 420k at least. You guys (people on the forums) helped me during a stupid small cheap allen wrench dropped in the air in take and I started it. The car ran for another 20k at least until the body just started falling apart. When we jacked it up to take the rims off, we found that the frame had actually cracked.

Few years past and I've been driving couple of different cars.
    87 Grand Marquis (1st) - No longer with us
    96 Town Car (got this guy for 1200 off of ebay) - No longer with us
    2003 Saturn Ion - Sold.. To Small for me
    2007 Ford Sport Trac (Current Daily Driver)
    1991 Grand Marquis (project car) turned out to have to many issues - sold it
    2003 Grand Marquis (White) (Soon to be Wife's Car, once she gets her license)
    1988 Grand Marquis (Current Project Car, was just painted) (Pictured).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210501_123355327_HDR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	1305716

I'm a techie by day and a Grand Marquis lover by night. Mostly because it was my first car and they are super easy to work on. My goal with my 88 is to keep her classy but give her the best I can with the parts that are close to stock. I'm not one of those guys that require everything number to match but I want her to run good and stay strong .

During the day I'm a network engineer and I work on servers, workstations, firewalls, switches, etc; at a local managed service provider. However that might change if my interviews go well . Other then that, I'm a PC Gamer. I usually play Call of Duty, Battlefield, Starcraft, CrossOut, etc.

And Big Shout out to VicCrownVic for saving the day with some clips for the door trim on my car. Thanks for meeting me and giving me some of your stash!

Nothing wrong with drifting away from a community for a bit, then wandering back. I think most people do that to some extent with various hobbies/interests.

When all the pandemic stuff subsides a bit I imagine we'll be doing a Detroit-area meet again, so be aware that is hopefully coming in the not so distant future. There were a few in the past before I was a regular here and there've been a few since that I have participated in as well. I am just across the river.

As an aside, I also work in IT...more end-user support stuff but mixed bag really. Retro/vintage PC stuff being a hobby alongside the cars.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

It was good to meet you. You'll fit in fine with the group here and the local group whenever we have another little local meet. If I didn't have other plans for Saturday afternoon I would have chatted longer.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Greetings fellow Michigan box person! I like gaming too, especially of the vintage variety. Don't do PC though. A meet-up would be cool
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Welcome back to the forum. Pretty blue paint you got there!
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Here's a rotated copy of your picture. I don't remember the original being sideways, but maybe I wasn't quite awake yet when I saw it.
            Attached Files
            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Welcome back. I used to do server-side support at a web hosting company. basically linux crap, when people broke their owned machines by touching things they ought not touch I got stuck with it. Got out of that 12 years ago, it was driving me insane.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks VicCrownVic! I have no idea why the image was sideways!!!!! Isn't on my side, lol

Comment

Mobile vs desktop. Mobile will sometimes use the metadata to orient the picture correctly. Desktop will not.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                    Mobile vs desktop. Mobile will sometimes use the metadata to orient the picture correctly. Desktop will not.
                    I use the desktop site on my mobile and it'll still do that sometimes.
                    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

It depends on the phone. The site just serves up the data. I haven't seen any desktop (full computer) browser rotate anything to "as taken".

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I will post more photos of the car before and after the paint job in a bit. I need to get her waxed. I was hoping to pay the 17 year old next door to do it for me... But I guess the youth around here don't want 100 bucks...

Listen to me... I'm 30 in less then 13 days here and I sound like I'm 50... I remember mowing lawns, waxing cars, digging holes, planting flowers for $$$. If your wondering why I won't do it... I'm fighting a lot of lower back pain right now, I had a disk blow out at L4 and the disks surrounding L4, such as L3 and L5 are herniated and are not "happy".

Comment

Take it to a reputable establishment or end up disappointed with the results if you get some kid to do it.. Waxing is a PITA, I try to do my Lincoln once a year and it takes ALLLL day. Sooo many nooks & crannies and then you gotta get the clay out most of the time...........
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I wouldn't have taken 100 bucks to wax my MGM when I did it for the first time. I have no idea when it had been waxed previously in her life, but it sure as shit was atleast 15 years ago. Took like half a bottle of Glym SRP and still looks faded and nowhere near smooth.
                            Don't outsource a job to someone without experience.
                            1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                            1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Detailing a car with a bad back would really suck. It is time consuming and your back will HATE you if it's already not happy.
                              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
                              X