HPP Wheels on '79 Marquis Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HPP Wheels on '79 Marquis Coupe

I was thinking that at some point I'd want to replace my factory 14" steelies with a set of HPP wheels. However, I wasn't sure how well they'd fit, whether to get the 15" or 16" version, or what size tires would fit best in the case of the 16" wheels (I know a good size for the 15"). In either case, I figure that I'd want something with a width of 235+. Any thoughts on this?
    1978 Ford LTD wagon, 351M
    1979 Mercury Marquis, 351W
    1987 Ford F-250 HD 4x4, 460, 4-speed, reg cab full bed
    2003 Mercury Marauder, 4.6L DOHC, JLT CAI, 4.10 gears, J-mod, custom tune

With tires, I would not go over 225 with the car at stock height or just a little higher.That is what I had/have on my cars. Over that, there are rubbing issues.
    Just my 2 cents.

Comment

The 16 x 7 will fit and look great. They have a 4mm offset which is less than 1/4". I kept mine as they'd look great on a early Mustang. I'd run a 225/60-16 or 235/60-16 tire.
      No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

What are the 15" versions you are referring to? I am only aware of hpps wheels in the 16" variety.

If running the stock front brakes the hpp center caps most likely will not fit. I believe some have circumvented this issue by grinding down the hub snout and even some of the inside of the centercap.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks, everyone. Glad to have the input. And I think maybe I got confused on the size of the HPP wheels because some sellers I've seen listed them as 15".

Speaking of the center caps, I haven't seen any around. Where should I look?

Comment

Can find a few on ebay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28413566255...AAAOSwWu1f8PdC

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35205381003...8AAOSwstxVbQru
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I thought there were some 15" Lacey Spokes before 1998, polished aluminum rim area maybe, not silver metal-flake like my '01's 16x7 versions?

Comment

I have (2) 15” lacy spoke MGM wheels with center caps. They are not HPP wheels tho

Comment

Thank you. I only saw that gold-ish one and wasn't even certain it was the right kind.

Comment

Originally posted by massacre View Post
                    I have (2) 15” lacy spoke MGM wheels with center caps. They are not HPP wheels tho
                    What makes a HPP wheel?
                    Last edited by tbear853; 05-07-2021, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Real HPP's only come in 16", but they come in three distinct flavors. (93-96, 97/98, 99-02)
                      Lacy spoke 15's are similar, but certainly not HPP's.
                      16" LSC Lacy spokes are pretty much HPP's with a different offset (and require spacers, though will fit an 03+ just fine)

225/60/16 is stock, 235/60/16 will fit fine, 255/50/16 will also fit but is really pushing it width wise on the wheel. I've ran all three.

Stock HPP center caps will fit the stock brakes with a little grinding and hammering.
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by ledzilla View Post
                        Thank you. I only saw that gold-ish one and wasn't even certain it was the right kind.
                        No Problem. I have to admit it appears as if the Ford caps are easier to obtain. Good luck in your search for a set of proper mercury ones.
                        ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by tbear853 View Post
                          What makes a HPP wheel?
                          they came on cars with the Handling and Performance Package. basically higher rate springs, bigger sway bars, dual exhaust, those wheels, probably some other bits that I can't remember. Lots of them had rear air suspension, and the air springs had a different base for a higher progressive rate than the standard air suspension cars.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I know what a "HPP car" is, but "what is a HPP wheel" ... was more my query. Like, if the HPP wheel is laid on a pile of other Lacey Spoke 16x7s off of non HPP cars, how can a fellow tell the difference? I've got a set of Lacey Spoke 16x7s off a '01 CV, they have exactly the same 4mm offset as the 16x7 Teardrop wheels that were on my '01 Mercury. I've seen three variations of Lacey Spokes which did usually come on a HPP car, but were not exclusive to HPP cars. I only asked the question because I had never heard of them being called HPP wheels, just always Lacey Spokes.
                            Last edited by tbear853; 05-08-2021, 01:29 PM.

Comment

The wheels on my car are HPPs. They were the BBS made for Ford "performance" wheels.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	20170809_150408s.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	1288995

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X