Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting to pre-'88 stand-alone speed control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting to pre-'88 stand-alone speed control?

Has anyone ever converted to pre-'88 stand-alone speed control? I'm having an engine rebuilt that I would like to put in my '90. It's a mild build, but it'll be sufficiently hotter than a simple HO swap that I don't trust a Mark VII computer to run it properly without leaning out. I want to retain cruise control, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to if I have to change to a different computer.
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

never done it personally but the stand-alone system is not very complicated. Early 90s cars used it too, so parts availability should be a bit better. I think the cable to the throttle body on those are different but you can swap your cable to a different servo body without much fuss. Basically you just need a compatible servo, the speed control amplifier, and some wiring. The servo vacuum parts are the same, but the non-integrated ones have what is effectively a throttle position sensor inside that the later ones do not have. The system will not work without this. Its also possible to add the TPS from a donor servo. Its not the same as the one on the throttle body, but electrically it does the same job. Quite possibly its an available thing from one of the electronics vendors but without one in front of me to take measurements from I don't know what it would match up to.

somewhere I have a scan of the EVTM pages but input to the speed amp is basically the wire from the column buttons, VSS, power, ground, and brake switch. The rest of it just goes to the servo.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I saved this link years ago in case I ever upgrade to Mass Air:

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00077.html

Scroll down to "Part Two." Rather than using the stand alone cruise, this method uses a speed density computer, mounted elsewhere in the car, to run the original cruise. The cruise wires going to the mass air computer are de-pinned and rerouted to the SD computer. Very slick, I think.

Comment

Working...
      X