Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clicking under dash

Hey guys,
    Finally got the Town Car back on the road. Now I am having an issue with a rapid clicking under the middle of the dash. I scanned for HVAC, and BCM codes, and have nothing. I know right away,, that is wrong,, as the recirculation motor is missing.. According to my daughter, it sounds like a woodpecker stuck in there. It happens about every 4-5 minutes, and is quite annoying. Does anybody have any ideas.
    Thanks, Mike

What year is the towny again?

I know my 88 MGM had the autolamp relay there behind the ashtray, but the townies may not have kept it in the same place. I've also heard of the door chime doing stupid stuff and it's mounted somewhere in that area too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

if its new enough to scan, its new enough to have a blend door motor. Bet you a buck its the actuator.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sly, the car is a 2010. Gadget, I was thinking about that, as I replaced the right side one a while back. It is an aftermarket, so it could have crapped out. The car was a freebie from a customer who owns a Limo service. The blend motor, and recirculating motor were both missing, as I'm certain his in house "mechanics" raided it for small parts.
        Mike

Comment

Yeah... +1 blend door actuator. You can technically see if behind the glove box, but getting it out... Lots of cussing and possible dash removal. Might be able to get it by pulling the passenger airbag out of the way. The usual cautions about doing that though. Disconnect battery, press brakes... wait another minute or 20... then remove.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Yes, the airbag definately gotta get out of the way, it completely blocks any access to the area. If you got to pull a whale dash, and you have done a box, the whale is an easier one to do, I find. Don't need to remove it but getting it so you can move it around helps a bunch.

Comment

Thanks guys. Sorry for the delay in responding. Just finished my last day at my old job. New job starts Monday, with More pay, better health care, retirement, and shorter commute. Win/win/win.
              Mike

Comment

Hey guys,
                Got around to it yesterday. Removed the glovebox, and the airbag. Those were easy. The right side dash vent tube??? That was a pain in the @$$!!! The clicking noise? The year old DORMAN blend door motor. Replaced that, and the missing recirculator motor with MOTORCRAFT parts. I don't know if anyone else has come across this, but it took me about an hour to get the recirculator motor in, as I had to keep plugging, and unplugging it to get the shaft to clock properly. I also replaced the busted up drivers side dash bezel, with a nice one I got off E-bay for $65 shipped. If you check, you'll see that they go for around 100-200. The catch? This one way dirty. 10 minute clean up, and I saved all that money. The HVAC system now works beautifully.
                MIKE

Comment

Comment

Thanks, Sly.

MIKE

Comment

Always good when things go as planned.

Comment

Working...
                      X