Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which gasket sealant to use for throttle body and spacer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which gasket sealant to use for throttle body and spacer?

Good day and hope all of you are well,

I'm going to swap throttle bodies this weekend.
    Which gasket sealant should I use for the throttle body and spacer?
    I do have new gaskets for the swap.

I thank you always,
    Mike
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

I haven't heard of anyone using gasket sealant...but if you want you can't go wrong with the Ultra Black.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

+1 dry on a clean and flat surface. If using any RTV, use just a smearing on the gasket surface.

+1 Ultra gray or Ultra black are the ones to use.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thank you again Sly and Brown_muscle.
        90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
        90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
        91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
        70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

None. Light use of a file to make sure the surfaces are flat and smooth should be all you need.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Never heard of using sealant but I prefer the “right stuff” for these things.
            RTV usually has a cure time, the “right stuff” requires almost none.
            YMMV

Comment

don't use rtv on those gaskets, just make sure all surfaces are flat and clean.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thank you Scott and Massacre.

I will not use any sealant and will clean the surfaces will.
                Thank you

Comment

Carb base gaskets and throttle body gaskets, not O-rings, get a thin smearing of grease here. Never had one leak and no pealing either, the grease gets absorbed and swells it in time I guess. Old tip from way back!
                  No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

Thank you Gadget.

Comment

Got the 65 mm throttle body and spacer on. I used no sealant.
                      I drove 10 miles and it was a blast.
                      I noticed the engine seemed to breath easier. Maybe the gas mileage will improve to.
                      Less effort on the gas pedal or so it seems.
                      The throttle body came with a new TPS and I also put a new IAC on. This all was so easy.
                      Today I'm going to check the voltage on the TPS at WOT and see if it is correct.
                      You know the saying .
                      If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
                      MAF 75 mm Pro M
                      65 mm Explorer TB, 65 mm spacer
                      68 mm mm GT 40 intake opening.
                      19 lb injectors.
                      Oh no! I've got the horsepower bug now.
                      Thank you

Comment

I wouldn't use any type of goo but they do sell gasket material at most part stores so you could cut your own gasket. I would use one of those.

Comment

Working...
                        X